PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu shirt design?

quietglow
December 31st, 2005, 04:27 AM
I've been messing with some potential ideas for some Ubuntu tshirts. I'd appreciate any input on the design thusfar! I've attached an image of a prototype too (HP iron-on paper is pretty cool).

I have another style I'm working on as well, and will post that soon.

jsmidt
December 31st, 2005, 04:54 AM
I think those shirts look great. Will they come in any colors? Will Kubuntu be represented? How will people be able to get the shirts?

futz
December 31st, 2005, 05:03 AM
Hey! I want one (or two). You could make some money at this.

quietglow
December 31st, 2005, 05:05 AM
Naw, I'm doing this because I'm tapering (not running as much) for a 50k I'm running tomorrow and I'm bored as hell.

I'm thinking I may put together the .svg images here and some directions for using the HP iron-on to make a sort of "do it yourself ubuntu shirt HOWTO."

MetalMusicAddict
December 31st, 2005, 05:29 AM
Killer man. I have a great HP printer. How good is the iron-on. Is it durable?

quietglow
December 31st, 2005, 05:37 AM
Hey thanks!

I just made a couple tonight and the first thing I wanted to do was wash em and check--you have to wait 24 hours though. I'll let you know when I do wash em.

Screen printing would be best, for sure. I'm away from home for this race, but I'll check with the local place when I get home next week to see what they'd charge.

MetalMusicAddict
December 31st, 2005, 05:44 AM
Screen printing would be best, for sure.
Oh hell yea but your designs would take like 5 screens plus shirts and colors to do. This is way eaiser and a hell of alot less expensive. Ive been impressed with color strength of iron-ons latley thats why I asked. :) Post back after a washing. ;)

akurashy
December 31st, 2005, 07:33 AM
omg i so want one too! :D

penguain
December 31st, 2005, 07:38 AM
sweet...let us know how the wash goes ... and when u post a TODO(if you do)

homegrown
December 31st, 2005, 10:54 AM
I really like the design - the only comment I can ad is that I'd move the logo down a coupel of cm.

Nice one!

quietglow
December 31st, 2005, 01:43 PM
Ive been impressed with color strength of iron-ons latley thats why I asked.

Yeah, I know and these are the new ones that HP has designed to work especially well on colored shirts. The whole process of their application is different than the old style too. You don't reverse the design, for instance. My wife did the application and she's finding it takes a little finesse--if you press too hard or iron too long, the shirt color bleeds through.

Also, for people in the US and near a Target, our store was closing out these snazzy heavy t-shirts for 4.98 so you may want to check it out. The orange is so damn late 90s internet a-list-apart cool, that I had to get a few. :-)

Off to race but will report on the first wash tonight.

bonzodog
December 31st, 2005, 03:10 PM
a suggestion: move this thread to Ubuntu art talk in the forums and post the designs to art.ubuntu.com - they are really very good. I would certainly be looking to get my hands on one if possible.

majikstreet
December 31st, 2005, 05:55 PM
looking great!

anyway, good luck on the race :)

quietglow
January 3rd, 2006, 11:52 PM
Thanks all for the encouragement!

I finally got around to running a shirt through a few cycles in the washer and dryer. They look GREAT! In fact, the heat from the dryer seems to even out the color in the design very nicely. I can't say what the long-term durability is going to be like, but I'd guess from these results that its probably pretty good.

I'm heading over to the art forum to post the design and some basic tips for making the shirts.

Gadren
January 4th, 2006, 12:52 AM
The kind of T-shirt I've ben hoping for is a brown or brown-red shirt with just the 3-people logo, large, on the front (so it looks like some cryptic symbol thingy, causing a bunch of people to say "what's that?"), with the "ubuntu - linux for human beings" thing on the back.

Omnios
January 4th, 2006, 12:58 AM
Have you tryed it with a cap yet?

quietglow
January 4th, 2006, 12:58 AM
That's hilarious--I've been thinking of just the same design. The issue I'm having is with making a big logo: the background color ends up causing problems. If its contained in another container (like my designs) there is no problem, but you can't just leave it white. I tried matching color to a shirt and its pretty futile. The Ubuntu logo in a circle with a brown background looks cool, but it starts to change the logo somewhat. I'm working on it...