PDA

View Full Version : Cloud Computing

damis648
March 24th, 2009, 03:22 AM
What is your opinion on cloud computing? A lot of new services and cloud computing sites have been popping up lately, and I dislike the idea. I want my files on my computer, not on some server. Not only that, I need it so be reliable. A friend of mine has a beta account at icloud, he just raves about it. I can't believe it is so great. What do you all think about the whole thing?

sloggerkhan
March 24th, 2009, 03:25 AM
you use linux. That means your home desktop can be your private cloud and you don't have to make everything you do public and give personal info to a bunch of corporations, but still have good useful webservices.

Much better choice.

damis648
March 24th, 2009, 03:29 AM
you use linux. That means your home desktop can be your private cloud and you don't have to make everything you do public and give personal info to a bunch of corporations, but still have good useful webservices.

Much better choice.

That is very true. :popcorn: My point is that I do not want my OS not real and belonging to a corporation. My router runs an FTP server if I ever need to store something.

pwnst*r
March 24th, 2009, 03:31 AM
you should have specified for strictly home or business use.

Skripka
March 24th, 2009, 03:34 AM
The only people crazy enough to think cloud computing is practicable or even a good idea are CNET hacks.

damis648
March 24th, 2009, 03:35 AM
you should have specified for strictly home or business use.

Well, I guess I mean in general if you think you would use it in a way that could minimize the importance of a real OS.

Newuser1111
March 24th, 2009, 03:36 AM
The only people crazy enough to think cloud computing is practicable or even a good idea are CNET hacks.What's "CNET hacks"?

Skripka
March 24th, 2009, 03:39 AM
What's "CNET hacks"?

Excuse me, I meant Fine Human Beings.

pwnst*r
March 24th, 2009, 03:48 AM
Well, I guess I mean in general if you think you would use it in a way that could minimize the importance of a real OS.

home no.

in some work environments yes.

50words
March 24th, 2009, 03:51 AM
I am 99% in the cloud and loving it.

Dr Small
March 24th, 2009, 03:55 AM
Down with Cloud Computing!

FuturePilot
March 24th, 2009, 04:01 AM
I really really hate the whole cloud computing thing. Sorry but I just don't like using my web browser as a word processor. I prefer faster, more advanced client side apps.

Newuser1111
March 24th, 2009, 04:04 AM
Excuse me, I meant Fine Human Beings.I wasn't saying that what you posted was a bad thing, I just didn't know what that meant.

I voted for "Down with Cloud Computing!"

Eviltechie
March 24th, 2009, 04:04 AM
Sorry, but cloud computing isn't what I want. Just look at it from a privacy standpoint. The data isn't on your computer, so you don't know who has it. (goverment or otherwise) I would much prefer to run have a home server. (in fact, I will build one this summer)

damis648
March 24th, 2009, 04:12 AM
i really really hate the whole cloud computing thing. Sorry but i just don't like using my web browser as a word processor. I prefer faster, more advanced client side apps.

+1

OutOfReach
March 24th, 2009, 04:17 AM
I really really hate the whole cloud computing thing. Sorry but I just don't like using my web browser as a word processor. I prefer faster, more advanced client side apps.

another +1, this cloud computing idea is just ridiculous

fenian
March 24th, 2009, 05:39 AM
Its a trap. (http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2008/sep/29/cloud.computing.richard.stallman)

penguindrive
March 24th, 2009, 05:53 AM
its a trap. (http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2008/sep/29/cloud.computing.richard.stallman)

qft.

richg
March 25th, 2009, 04:35 AM
This just software evolving. No big deal. Here are some Cloud Computing links. Even Ubuntu is moving in that direction.
Your reality may different.

http://news.google.com/news?pz=1&ned=us&hl=en&q=cloud+computing

Rich

t0p
March 25th, 2009, 04:56 AM
Those Google online apps are rubbish. And it's all rather dangerous.

Recently I've been playing with gspace - it's a firefox add-on that enables you to use a Gmail account's storage space as network storage for your computer. Now, Google's electric eyes look at Gmail account emails for their targeted advertisements, right? So presumably they also have a good look at the files in a gspace directory. This will happen to all online storage solutions eventually - if not already. And not just for the purpose of targeted advertisements.

50words
March 25th, 2009, 04:10 PM
Cloud computing is more than just Google Docs.

I use cloud apps primarily because they allow me to share things (contacts, appointments, tasks, timekeeping, billing) without setting up an Exchange server. Others, like Gmail, I just prefer to local software.

Here is what I use for my business:

Google Apps
- Gmail
- Google Contacts
- Google Calendar
Remember the Milk
Freshbooks
Dropbox