PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Metacity vs. Compiz vs. Emerald

tonyW303
March 24th, 2009, 01:38 AM
I'm running Ubuntu 8.10 i386 (GNOME) on an AMD Athlon processor (I don't know if that matters). I'm new to Ubuntu. I'm not quite sure but I think Metacity is the default and pre-installed window manager for Ubuntu. I installed Emerald and then Compiz. I think the settings in all three window managers are clashing. I want Compiz to be the main (and preferably only one) window manager. Also, I want it to be the window manager that boots (I currently have to do "compiz --replace" in the run window or terminal). Advice? Help? Thanx!

overdrank
March 24th, 2009, 01:44 AM
Hi and you can add the command to sessions under system, preference. This will allow it on start up. You may want to look at the FAQ link in my signature. :)

Therion
March 24th, 2009, 02:00 AM
You've gone to System, Preferences, Appearance, Visual Effects tab and clicked one of the buttons for "Normal" or "Extra", right?

And the effects do not "stick" after rebooting?

superbenny
March 24th, 2009, 02:21 AM
I'm running Ubuntu 8.10 i386 (GNOME) on an AMD Athlon processor (I don't know if that matters). I'm new to Ubuntu. I'm not quite sure but I think Metacity is the default and pre-installed window manager for Ubuntu. I installed Emerald and then Compiz. I think the settings in all three window managers are clashing. I want Compiz to be the main (and preferably only one) window manager. Also, I want it to be the window manager that boots (I currently have to do "compiz --replace" in the run window or terminal). Advice? Help? Thanx!

ok first thing you need to do is add the command
compiz --replace to the sessions menu under system>preferences. name it compiz. while in there, if you have a command called Window Manager (it will probably be at the bottom, and the command should be gnome-wm), remove it. it will start after compiz and override it, so you dont want that.
now, if you havent installed ccsm, install it now. you can do that via synaptic, or the command:

sudo apt-get install ccsm

then, open ccsm via the run dialogue box (alt+F2) and open up the window decorations setting, and change the command to emerald.

then use the emerald dialogue box to install/choose your theme (you can download them from gnome-look.org)

if all went well, you can restart your computer (or ctrl+alt+bkspc) and it should all work fine.

if compiz is working, but not emerald, add the command

emerald --replace, and call it emerald. if you named the compiz command compiz, by alphabetical order, it will cause emerald to start after compiz, which you want.

tonyW303
March 24th, 2009, 03:08 AM
AWESOME! thanx man! =D>

superbenny
March 24th, 2009, 04:15 AM
AWESOME! thanx man! =D>

no problem! let me know if that works out for you.