PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Install Ubuntu 8.10 on Raid 0

aerain
March 23rd, 2009, 08:22 PM
Hello, all!

I am still new to the Linux world and I need some help installing Ubuntu 8.10 on an Dell Optiplex 755 with 2 160GB drives set up in a RAID 0 format. There is no Windows on this box..it is strictly my Linux machine.

While installing Ubuntu, when it gets to the Prepare Disk Space section, under Where do you want to put Ubuntu?, it does not recognize my RAID 0. It just lists both hard drives separately.

What am I doing wrong? Is there another step I should be doing to get the benefits of RAID 0 under Ubuntu? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. :popcorn:

inobe
March 23rd, 2009, 08:28 PM
the live cd doesn't have DMraid, the alternative cd does...

the alternative cd can be found on the same download page with some navigating around.

the alternative cd has nothing fancy about it' it sports a text based installer with blue and grey colors, it is easy to understand.

btw welcome to the forums

aerain
March 23rd, 2009, 08:32 PM
Thanks, inobe!

I am downloading it right now and will try it shortly. Thanks!

inobe
March 23rd, 2009, 08:57 PM
your welcome

during this time you may want to check the ubuntu documentation for raid and learn about raid partitioning !

the alternative cd is easy to use and your array will be detected, the partitioner will automatically handle the partitioning etc...

some have had problems even in an automated setup, these docs will become useful if you have problems too.

goodluck