PDA

View Full Version : Having some fun and need some help, its multi-boot fyi

Mil Doc Jr
March 23rd, 2009, 07:00 PM
OK, first of all thanks for helping me with this beyond reason task. I figured I'd go here first because linux users know more than windows and mac users.

Here's what I want to do.

I have two hard drives, and a 1tb external. The 1tb external will be used for applications only. The two hard drives are roughly 110 gb a piece the first has vista installed, the second windows 7 rc1. I want to put xp on my vista drive (without erasing vista, I know I have to partition and how to do it) Then i want to put mac osx (x86) leopard and linux on my windows 7 partition. Why I want to do this, simplicity. I would rather reboot my computer to go into mac to run mac programs (more-of just for a faster itunes and safe(r) browser) I would like to keep vista (its what came on my computer) WIN7 because I'm beta testing it, XP to have a faster running system for games (figure what 2 gb of RAM and a 3GHz processor does on xp, my thoughts exactly) and Linux for the dev programs and for complete access to the rest of my computer. I have loaded Ubuntu on my computer before, but the only thing that is holding me back is the fact that I am already dual-booting between vista and WIN7. Since I want to do this, my questions are probably going to give me answers on using freebsd, I know I've used it. This is what I know grub bootloader can be touchy. My biggest question is what is the order in which I need to install the oses. I'll use freebsd to get xp on it, thats already been my plan, Now installing Mac OSX (x86) is going to be a bit trickier since its going to make its own journaled partition, and then the last thing I was going to install was linux because grub will override everything. Now if I do that will grub play right or will it____ (adjective) ____(noun) up? I'm pretty sure that mac is going to have to be done through freebsd but do I edit the boot before or after I install it, and after I install it will it let me go back into windows if I haven't. Anyways I've created a fun project but I need someones help to reassure me that it wont mess up and where to start on this. Thank you for helping me out and any help is much appreciated.

Aaric
March 27th, 2009, 02:10 AM
I am a little confused as to what your question is. And if you post it in a different place you will probably get more results.

"The Community Cafe
The Community Chat area is for lighthearted and enjoyable discussions, like you might find around a water cooler at work.

Almost any non-tech-support topic may be discussed here. Discussions on religion and politics are not allowed, except for politics directly related to free and open source issues. Any topic or discussion that causes problems or drama will be closed. This area is intended for fun and community building, not arguments. Please take those elsewhere. Thanks!"

This is where you posted.