PDA

View Full Version : BSA seeks greater role in U.S. security

Sporkman
March 23rd, 2009, 06:00 PM
Software lobby seeks greater role in U.S. security (Reuters)

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. software industry is pushing for a greater role as government officials develop a policy to ward off attacks on the nation's communications infrastructure, a trade group said on Friday.

The Business Software Alliance, which represents companies including Microsoft Corp and Dell Inc., told White House officials this week the government should share more threat and attack information with the industry...

http://tech.yahoo.com/news/nm/20090320/tc_nm/us_cyber_security_1

blastus
March 24th, 2009, 12:22 AM
Ha, I think you guys are more likely to be attacked by the BSA than actual Internet terrorists.

bakedbeans4life
March 24th, 2009, 12:46 AM
No sir, those SWAT and SEAL teams are not here to defend the national security of America against international terrorism. They are here to make sure you have complied with the conditions set down in the EULA of the software that runs your business. The fact you need an electron microscope to read the small print is quite simply a maneuver by yourself to mitigate the consequences of your actions. If you are innocent then you should have nothing to hide.

We at the BSA are an equal opportunity employer, only Satan need apply.

Mehall
March 24th, 2009, 12:50 AM
Can I put a EULA for use of my door and windows? If they enter, they forfeit all rights they had to seize anything in my house including, but not limited to, me and my computer.

bakedbeans4life
March 24th, 2009, 12:56 AM
Can I put a EULA for use of my door and windows? If they enter, they forfeit all rights they had to seize anything in my house including, but not limited to, me and my computer.

They who make the law break the rules. Suffice to say I doubt it is to your benefit.

blastus
March 24th, 2009, 01:29 AM
In other news, the BSA receives praise for uncovering a cyber-terrorist plot against the U.S. government. "No-one would have expected it" a BSA spokesperson said. The BSA received an anonymous tip about a small restaurant called, Mamma's and Papa's Pizza, about running a pirated version of Windows 95. That led to an audit which led to a violent take down in which Papa was shot in the foot. Apparently, the BSA said that they found blueprints for a cyber-attack. However, the FSA said that it is implausible because Mamma and Papa couldn't get on the Internet with that computer.

Mehall
March 24th, 2009, 01:48 AM
I don't know why I'm mocking the BSA in my head, I come from the country who's government havne't outlawed Deep Packet Inspection so that they can do it themselves.

When that Data centre gets built, I'm getting a VPS somewhere random. Sweden, maybe. Ssh tunnelling or a VPN, thankyaverymuch

Sporkman
March 24th, 2009, 02:07 AM
When that Data centre gets built, I'm getting a VPS somewhere random. Sweden, maybe. Ssh tunnelling or a VPN, thankyaverymuch

I think Sweden is more like the US in terms of the gov't being able to secretly monitor internet trafic.

Mehall
March 24th, 2009, 02:19 AM
No, if the US governement does it, it's illegal. Oh, and Sweden don't really give a crap. They'll argue over somethings, but overall it's a pretty free country.

My government doesn't even hide it's Human Rights..... grazings, shall we say, to put it lightly (hi government operator checking up on what i'm doing, how're you? You'll already have my email address, so drop me a line and tell me how you are : D )