PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Setting up the Ideal Dual boot (for me)

Che_Koala's
March 23rd, 2009, 01:06 PM
Hey everyone,

I have used ubuntu on my laptop since 7.04. Around 8.04 i wanted to try and set things up a bit more convenient.

I got 150 Gig on my laptop. I need a Windows XP installation for things that wont work under ubuntu (like games n such) but I don't use it very often. So i have set it up like this now:

Windows XP : 20 Gigs
Ubuntu : 8 Gigs
Ubuntu Home: 120 Gigs
Ubuntu Swap: 2 Gigs

This was under 8.04. When 8.10 came out i tried upgrading the ubuntu installation without erasing home, but somehow the 120 are now only accessible under XP, and i use ubuntu with only 8 gigs available. I tried to make the installer use the existing home partition but it said it would format it which is not what i planned for. The main thing here, is that backing stuff up to another location is a pain for me as i am short on external storage, So i would like backing things up kept to the bare minimum.

Ubuntu home is used for Transmission, my music and photos. The latter two of those I can't afford to lose.

Now i am back at 8.04 (Compatibility issues @ 8.10) waiting for 9.04 to pop its head around the corner to re-instate everything the way i want it. my question is, how do i set it up, so i can painlessly upgrade to 9.10 when it comes out? without rendering my home partition useless? Did i do something wrong when installing? Any other ideas on how to partition everything? Maybe i can set 8.04 up so I can use it normally again and at the same time prepare for 9.04 and seamlessly upgrade when it is released?
Any light on this subject would be greatly appreciated!