PDA

View Full Version : Good, simple cropping tool

SoCalChris
March 23rd, 2009, 06:34 AM
I'm looking for a good cropping tool, that isn't as complex as the gimp. Something similar to the cropping tool that Flickr uses with their editor, where I can choose an aspect ratio, and simply drag the cropping to how I want it. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

PenguinsFan
March 23rd, 2009, 08:46 AM
Try Picasa

http://picasa.google.com/linux/

kaibob
March 23rd, 2009, 03:41 PM
Like the OP, I've also been looking for a simple crop tool where you can select an aspect ratio. I looked at Picasa but didn't install it because it's way overkill for my needs and because the download page says 100 MB of hard disk space is required. Hopefully there's something simpler out there.

SoCalChris
March 23rd, 2009, 04:07 PM
If you've ever used the Picnik tool on Flickr to resize an image, that's exactly what I'm looking for. It's simple, quick, and easy to use. I don't need or want any other editing features.

namaku0
March 23rd, 2009, 04:25 PM
How about gThumb?

kaibob
March 23rd, 2009, 06:08 PM
How about gThumb?

I looked at the gThumb feature page:

http://gthumb.sourceforge.net/features.html

I'm sure you can crop with gThumb, but there's no mention of constraining the aspect ratio. I hate to install Gthumb just to check to see if it has this feature.

Therion
March 23rd, 2009, 06:13 PM
I'm sure you can crop with gThumb, but there's no mention of constraining the aspect ratio. I hate to install Gthumb just to check to see if it has this feature.
It does. You can also turn it off very easily, but yes, it has aspect ratio in the Cropping Tool.

I also recommend gThumb, just generally speaking, for routine photo manipulations. No, it's not Gimp but for for basic corrections and manipulation type stuff it's the way to go.

oldsoundguy
March 23rd, 2009, 06:14 PM
Hey, why not TRY it? That is the true beauty of Linux. Try it, if you don't like it REMOVE IT and try something else. Unlike some Windows programs that put tentacles everywhere within the system, the FOSS programs you get with Linux can be pulled out with no damage!

and 100mb is a SMALL program now days! Unless you are working on a less than 10gb drive, a drop in the bucket!

kaibob
March 23rd, 2009, 06:32 PM
It does. You can also turn it off very easily, but yes, it has aspect ratio in the Cropping Tool....
Thanks Therion. I went ahead and installed gThumb, and it does have a nice crop tool that includes a user-defined aspect ratio. I've included a screen shot of the crop dialog.

Therion
March 23rd, 2009, 06:59 PM
I've included a screen shot of the crop dialog.
That's the one!

Go nuts.

mwillams73
April 22nd, 2009, 11:40 PM
Ok so how do i install this? Im downloading it now, i was hoping it would be a .deb file but its not so what do i do to install this? Also how do i uninstall it if i dont like it?

Im not a noob but i dont like compiling or building stuff from source, I usually only download .deb files to keep from being overly confused or messing things up but i havnt been able to find any image manipulators that only do the basic stuff like crop resize, contrast, color, etc etc. everything ive tried is overly complicated to the point of frustration.
thanks for any help!!

zenithdave
April 22nd, 2009, 11:49 PM
As post #2 picasa

http://picasa.google.com/linux/download.html