PDA

View Full Version : Anyone remember that Dolphin Game, Ecco?

MasterNetra
March 23rd, 2009, 05:35 AM
Anyone remember "Ecco the Dolphin"? Found a site that allows to get a old PC rip for it. I'm gonna try to see if i can't wine it for old times sake. I used to own myself back when i had a genesis so for me it should be legit i think. :p The Site (http://web8.orcaserver.de/ecco/downloads/games/official.php)

DOS4dinner
March 23rd, 2009, 05:56 AM
sadly, it's still illegal. 100% illegal. Even if you own the original geneisis cart, you do NOT have a license for the PC version.

Also, you will have serious trouble get it working in Wine--It needs 256 colors, which is near impossible save with some workarounds that usually don't work.

Now, if you had a copy of Windows 95 booting in DOSBox, that's another story...

MasterNetra
March 23rd, 2009, 06:00 AM
well that bites. :/

MasterNetra
March 23rd, 2009, 06:06 AM
hmm well there is this Link (http://www.gamershell.com/ps2/ecco_the_dolphin/screenshots.html?page=2) looks like another run at it but in 3d this time! too bad I don't a PS2 or the $10 for it :/

SunnyRabbiera
March 23rd, 2009, 06:10 AM
Legalities, legalities, I would still play it personally.
Though I never liked the controller on Ecco.

MasterNetra
March 23rd, 2009, 06:20 AM
Ecco's got a nice relaxing sound track too. The site owner has the SegaCD versions of them, all good quality too....Oh here we go. I'll save up and buy the Ecco game for PS2 and use a PS2 emulator. After all I would want to support the game. :) Also I attached a screenshot of my desktop. That Ecco wallpaper goes well with the Dust theme yes?

swoll1980
March 23rd, 2009, 06:44 AM
You can play ecco on Gens as well.

MasterNetra
March 23rd, 2009, 05:13 PM
You can play ecco on Gens as well.

Thats true. Also would like to see what they have done with the newer one for PS2 too. :)

afm93
March 23rd, 2009, 05:14 PM
I have that game, but I ended up selling it because my Sega Genisis broke. Good times, good times.

MasterNetra
March 23rd, 2009, 05:16 PM
I have that game, but I ended up selling it because my Sega Genisis broke. Good times, good times.

yea apparently they have a 3D sequel to it for PS2. And a restoration of the original on xbox 360. Although i couldn't find anything but a review for the X360 and I can't find the PC version of it anywhere not even on ebay. Gamestop only has used PS2 ecco games and ebay, the sega gensis, dreamcast, Gameboy Advance, and SegaCD versions, No PC or X360...

afm93
March 23rd, 2009, 05:21 PM
yea apparently they have a 3D sequel to it for PS2. And a restoration of the original on xbox 360.

Echo 1, 2 and Echo Jr (I think), is out on the overpriced wii shop channel too :O

Simian Man
March 23rd, 2009, 05:23 PM
Echo 1, 2 and Echo Jr (I think), is out on the overpriced wii shop channel too :O

Yeah, it's fun too :).

MasterNetra
March 23rd, 2009, 05:25 PM

Ah so the wii is its new platform of choice. Although as i later added to my post i can't seem to find PC version anywhere. At least can't find a legal copy :/

forrestcupp
March 23rd, 2009, 07:10 PM
Ecco was 3D on the Dreamcast before the PS2.

The original was awesome.

MasterNetra
March 23rd, 2009, 07:22 PM
Ecco was 3D on the Dreamcast before the PS2.

The original was awesome.

yea good artwork on the original for genesis. Fun too.

cespinal
March 23rd, 2009, 07:26 PM
ecco for dreamcast.... THA BEEESTTTTT

MasterNetra
March 23rd, 2009, 07:29 PM
ecco for dreamcast.... THA BEEESTTTTT

Care to elaborate on that? :popcorn:

ZarathustraDK
March 23rd, 2009, 09:13 PM
Very good game IMO.

Remember two places:

- The one in the library where you had to jump ridiculously high to make it over a pillar.

- The ridiculously hard second-last level in the game with the changing scroll-direction. It was like a dolphin-blender.

Really, that was one hard game. Those spanking octopuses were a *****.

MasterNetra
March 23rd, 2009, 09:51 PM
Very good game IMO.

Remember two places:

- The one in the library where you had to jump ridiculously high to make it over a pillar.

- The ridiculously hard second-last level in the game with the changing scroll-direction. It was like a dolphin-blender.

Really, that was one hard game. Those spanking octopuses were a *****.

lol yea, if i remember correctly to get past that octopus you had barely move by it at the lowest speed possible and as close to the wall away from it. Still a ***** to pull off :p

Patrick Snyder
March 23rd, 2009, 10:07 PM
sadly, it's still illegal. 100% illegal. Even if you own the original geneisis cart, you do NOT have a license for the PC version.
However, because you bought the Genesis copy, it is legal to download the identical ROM file, which is basically just a backup; that is, as long as you didn't transfer ownership of your Genesis cartridge to someone else.

Genesis emulators are also legal to download and use. The ones I've seen (years ago) did not use proprietary code. It's just not legal to play games on them that you haven't bought.

MasterNetra
March 23rd, 2009, 11:14 PM
However, because you bought the Genesis copy, it is legal to download the identical ROM file, which is basically just a backup; that is, as long as you didn't transfer ownership of your Genesis cartridge to someone else.

Genesis emulators are also legal to download and use. The ones I've seen (years ago) did not use proprietary code. It's just not legal to play games on them that you haven't bought.

Well I never transfered ownership but I did lose it >.<

Naiki Muliaina
March 23rd, 2009, 11:21 PM
Ecco was fantastic! The originals were great but the Dreamcast one was just epic! Its rare a game manages to have so much atmosphere and beauty :) :) :)

Dreamcast version

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--nL7xwXXWI&feature=related

Sound and visuals a bit duffy, buts its the intro and first area. It was awesome ^^

MasterNetra
March 24th, 2009, 12:09 AM
Ecco was fantastic! The originals were great but the Dreamcast one was just epic! Its rare a game manages to have so much atmosphere and beauty :) :) :)

Dreamcast version

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--nL7xwXXWI&feature=related

Sound and visuals a bit duffy, buts its the intro and first area. It was awesome ^^

Cool :)

LegendofTom
March 24th, 2009, 12:14 AM
I would have to say, a great game. One of my first games, on the Genesis. But as a child, this game scared the crap out of me. I don't really know why, but to this day, I still cringe at the thought of the giant octopus and killer whale.

MasterNetra
March 24th, 2009, 02:00 AM
I would have to say, a great game. One of my first games, on the Genesis. But as a child, this game scared the crap out of me. I don't really know why, but to this day, I still cringe at the thought of the giant octopus and killer whale.

Yet killer whales are not really aggressive towards humans, despite the fact we are about the same size as their normal prey, we don't seem to be on the menu at all.