PDA

View Full Version : The Comebacks Thread

user1397
March 23rd, 2009, 04:43 AM
Have any of you recently come back into the world of linux after spending time in the windows world for x amount of time and for x amount of reasons?

Well I sure have, and I am happy once again. Thanks ubuntu developers, bug testers, documentation writers, and fellow users. :)

tuebinger
March 23rd, 2009, 05:22 AM
Have any of you recently come back into the world of linux after spending time in the windows world for x amount of time and for x amount of reasons?

Well I sure have, and I am happy once again. Thanks ubuntu developers, bug testers, documentation writers, and fellow users. :)

After about a year using Ubuntu I went back to the dark side for about 3 months, enough time to remember of all the reasons I stopped using Windows to begin with. It was a humbling experience.

My reasons for abandoning Linux were mainly frustration at not being able to load certain web page content and not being able to download just any program from any site.

After the third month using Windwos my registry was getting corrupted, my hard drive was fragmented, and the computer started getting slow. That was my sign: It was time to come back.

I, like you, am happy once again!

MikeTheC
March 23rd, 2009, 06:01 AM
What's Linux?

:p

kevdog
March 23rd, 2009, 06:23 AM
I still use XP and Ubuntu -- and the spyware and slowdown problem really bug me. The font thing and Firefox problem on Ubuntu (mainly its much slower) bug me on Ubuntu however.

lisati
March 23rd, 2009, 06:30 AM
I had a brief period earlier this year where I was mainly using one of my laptops which (at the time) had only Vista loaded (mainly for the video editing and DVD burning software that was preloaded, plus some video editing software I'd loaded myself).

This system has since been "corrected" this morning to a proper dual-boot with Ubuntu Intrepid, I found I was missing Ubuntu.

Now to go to work sorting out the rest of my collection, and figuring out what to use them for (another laptop that came with XP, but has a sluggish copy of Ubuntu [more RAM will probably help a little], a desktop that has XP, and an older machine that currently has a fresh install of Win98SE)

user1397
April 2nd, 2009, 12:55 AM
After about a year using Ubuntu I went back to the dark side for about 3 months, enough time to remember of all the reasons I stopped using Windows to begin with. It was a humbling experience.

My reasons for abandoning Linux were mainly frustration at not being able to load certain web page content and not being able to download just any program from any site.

After the third month using Windwos my registry was getting corrupted, my hard drive was fragmented, and the computer started getting slow. That was my sign: It was time to come back.

I, like you, am happy once again!
I think my case is most similar to yours. I was frustrated by the overall slowing of my windows partition, fragmentation, and spyware. Not to mention that once I booted into Intrepid live CD, I noticed how I could do everything in Ubuntu now that I could not do before, including using my new printer, recognizing my home network, etc.

Giant Speck
April 2nd, 2009, 01:00 AM
I jump back and forth every now and then.

Ubuntu is my primary operating system, and I usually use Windows in order to use iTunes to sync my iPhone to my computer.

Usually, I hop back and forth between the two operating systems based on my interests at the time. For example, when Windows 7 was released, I used it extensively for a couple weeks. When I saw there were updates to the Murrine theme engine, I hopped back to Ubuntu so that I could work on my Macchiato theme. When I got my iPhone, I hopped back to Windows in order to sync it with iTunes. Finally, when Firefox 3.1 beta 3 was released, I decided to try it out on Ubuntu rather than Windows (since I only use Google Chrome on Windows).

Basically, I have no preference or partiality toward either of the two operating systems. However, my use of either one of them is usually based on what interests me.

Mehall
April 2nd, 2009, 01:12 AM
What's Linux?

:p

What's Windows?

:P