PDA

View Full Version : Xp work/ Linux at home Thumb drive in the middle. Need a relational database.

Jonas thomas
March 23rd, 2009, 01:03 AM
Ok... I've been getting into GTD lately and I like to put a relational database on a thumb drive and access it either at home or at work.

It would be ideal for me if I load it up in MS access. I got the impression that this should be possible via (unixODBC),

I was thinking about building a vb front end connecting via a ODBC link at work and give me an excuse to mess around with wxpython or possibly Qt/C++ at home or??

On some things it seems like solutions come popping up with google, but it doesn't seem to be the case in this instance (I supposed I haven't hit on the magic keywords yet)

Does anyone have some links to some how to guides on various methods I might try??

[Actually I found some stuff that might work.
http://mdbtools.sourceforge.net/install/c29.htm
I need to run through the documentation.. If someone has played with stuff in Ubuntu, I like to hear about it.

Jonas thomas
March 28th, 2009, 04:15 PM
I kind of asked the same question in the programming sub-forum.
If anyones interested here's the link
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1104200

23meg
March 28th, 2009, 06:15 PM
How exactly are you looking to utilize a relational database for GTD?

Jonas thomas
March 29th, 2009, 02:43 PM
How exactly are you looking to utilize a relational database for GTD?

Well..... I've been making this up as I go. My GTD journey started out on a spreadsheet which I had Project, Goal and next step along with some codes to separated by context. I got to the part in the book where David Allen talks about needing to review Projects separately for next steps. I also ran into situations where I sort of had two next steps which could be one in parallel in seperate contexts...

Basically I want to have a project table, linked into a table of next steps. Pretty simple for the moment, I'm sure I would get more Gucci over time to suit my needs.

I am very comfortable using sql and I thought a RDMS would be the way to go. I think I'm going to give that Tiddlywiki (see my other thread) thing a try, since it's probably the easiest way to do something cross platform without getting the IT folks irritated at me at work.
JT