PDA

View Full Version : Windows can be virus-ridden, but is Ubuntu bug-ridden?

abyssius
March 23rd, 2009, 12:06 AM
Windows can easily become virus-ridden when used irresponsibly. Unfortunately, many people are so quick to label a given problem they have with Ubuntu as a bug, that this feeds into the myth that 'Ubuntu' is bug-ridden. It seems like every time I Google a question regarding some problem I encounter with Ubuntu it leads me to some sort of 'bug' report. I reluctantly click on a 'bug' link, and often end up in a launchpad thread where there's an ungoing argument as to whether a given bug exists or not. This adds to my frustration, but doesn't often help me to fix the problem.

Observe how often posters, especially in the Absolute Beginners forum, preface their post with "Is this or that a bug?". I've used Ubuntu for over one year now, had my share of configuration problems, but I have to be honest and admit that 99% of the time, it's my lack of knowledge that either caused my problem or prevented me from fixing it. I started with 7.10 - went through 8.04 to 8.10 and I can't yet affirmatively say I've encountered a 'bug' of any consequence caused specifically by the Ubuntu OS itself. Yet, because the B-word is used so promiscuously, Ubuntu is building an IMO false reputation for being 'unstable' - or as the title, implies, "bug-ridden". I know many non-Linux colleagues who claim this when I bring up Ubuntu or Linux in general.

New users should put in a reasonable effort to fix their problem, instead of casually assigning their problem to 'bug' status. Experienced users should consider using the B-word responsibly so that they don't contribute unnecessarily to any false impressions. What do you think?

lisati
March 23rd, 2009, 12:11 AM
My own experience is similar. Most of the problems I've encountered since using Ubuntu have been lack of knowledge on my part, or being too hasty to try something.
The only time I've run into a bug causing problems, it turned out to be nothing to do with Ubuntu, but more to do with a problem with Windows XP SP3 not working properly on another machine - this was easily fixed with a patch from the computer manufacturer's website.

swoll1980
March 23rd, 2009, 12:22 AM
I don't think I've ever had a problem with a bug in Ubuntu, other than the flash bug a while back, that was an adobe bug though. I can't say the same for xp, and vista, as I've had a few more irritating ones while using both.

abyssius
March 23rd, 2009, 12:29 AM
I don't think I've ever had a problem with a bug in Ubuntu, other than the flash bug a while back, that was an adobe bug though. I can't say the same for xp, and vista, as I've had a few more irritating ones while using both.

Exactly! I've run into possible bugs with flash, or until I removed it permanantly, RealPlayer, I've also encountered potential 'bugs' with NVIDIA drivers, but none of these can't be fairly blamed on the Ubuntu OS itself. As for Windows, I seen buggy drivers or Software, but I can't say I can positively identify a bug that was built into the Windows OS. I know there's plenty that are documented in the Windows Knowledge base, howevr.

cardinals_fan
March 23rd, 2009, 12:35 AM
I've also encountered potential 'bugs' with NVIDIA drivers, but none of these can't be fairly blamed on the Ubuntu OS itself.
I've encountered one huge and very real bug with the NVIDIA drivers. Naturally, they've ignored me.

Just use the VESA drivers!

Rokurosv
March 23rd, 2009, 12:40 AM
The only bug that had me worried was the Load Cycle bug, but that's been fixed.
Most of the time the stuff I've encountered has been a result of me doing something, like using the wrong driver or messing with some config file. I think most new users don't really know how to interpret an error message or have a real understanding of the system, but who can blame em? Sometimes they do something and when something doesn't work they label it a bug.

Bölvağur
March 23rd, 2009, 12:50 AM
bugs are more visible with linux than mac because we are a open community that point out bugs and discuss how it can be solved (and who should do it) ;)

I cannot say I have more bugs in ubuntu than other systems, often I feel it is the other way round, but it is just so different it shouldnt be compared.

cariboo
There are a lot of bugs, that have no affect on the way Ubuntu runs. I reported this bug, 346880 this morning. It's one of those things that are just annoying when you run into them.

Jim

abyssius
I've encountered one huge and very real bug with the NVIDIA drivers. Naturally, they've ignored me.

Just use the VESA drivers!

Actually, on one partition I have a 8.10 installation using the nv driver for security blanket purposes, and on another partition i have 8.10 using one of the NVIDIA betas which i haven't had any problems with so far. I need the nvidia driver specifically so I can run Google Earth (I love flying through Alaska ;). I'm way done playing with compiz and special effects, etc. I just want to use Ubuntu for productive purposes and to escape (virtually) from New York City once in a while.

speedwell68
March 23rd, 2009, 12:56 AM
The only properly documented bug I have ever come across was in Brasero. I just upgraded to the latest version, instead of the release in the repos. But it was a simple fix and a known bug in Brasero is hardly a bug in Ubuntu. Think Windows has bugs and viruses.:D

abyssius
March 23rd, 2009, 01:02 AM
The only properly documented bug I have ever come across was in Brasero. I just upgraded to the latest version, instead of the release in the repos. But it was a simple fix and a known bug in Brasero is hardly a bug in Ubuntu. Think Windows has bugs and viruses.:D

The point is a Brasero bug is not a Ubuntu bug. Anyway, I rely on Brasero a lot, so this is not good news to me. I'll try your suggestion. Good point about Windows. lol

speedwell68
March 23rd, 2009, 02:16 AM
The point is a Brasero bug is not a Ubuntu bug. Anyway, I rely on Brasero a lot, so this is not good news to me. I'll try your suggestion. Good point about Windows. lol

The bug in Brasero was only really related to my burner. The repos version works fine on both my laptops.

HermanAB
March 23rd, 2009, 02:30 AM
Well, I update my servers once every 18 months or so and since they are on UPSs, they run without any trouble the whole time, so whatever bugs there are in Linux are certainly not of Windows crash and burn variety. So most bugs are low impact.

Redache
March 23rd, 2009, 02:50 AM
I think it can be difficult for some Users to understand the difference between a configuration/compatibility issue and an actual Software Error.

Whilst there are a lot of bugs in bug trackers, it would be impossible to clear a bug tracker completely and continue to add features to Software. The frustrating thing is that most Users report bugs and then never look at the bug report again, so when the Developers ask for more information they never receive any and the bug has to close due to a lack of information.

If the Bridge Don't work 'cause too many cars are on it, blame the engineer.

Sealbhach
March 23rd, 2009, 02:57 AM
I think the most buggy things I've tried are docks, Cairo and awn.

Dr. C
March 23rd, 2009, 02:59 AM
This is a really serious Ubuntu bug. https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/1

SunnyRabbiera
March 23rd, 2009, 03:11 AM
Hehe, but serious Ubuntu does have a few bugs here and there, but most of the time there is a decent workaround

Redache
March 23rd, 2009, 03:54 AM
Hehe, but serious Ubuntu does have a few bugs here and there, but most of the time there is a decent workaround

I don't think I've ever seen a Show Stopping Bug in Ubuntu, although I haven't in Windows to tell you the truth (that wasn't my fault).

swoll1980
March 23rd, 2009, 04:04 AM
I don't think I've ever seen a Show Stopping Bug in Ubuntu, although I haven't in Windows to tell you the truth (that wasn't my fault).

I had/have few bugs in Windows xp. One had svchost.exe eating 100% of my processor for like 20 minutes at a time. That was a show stopper if I ever saw one(fixed by ms patch). Less severe, though annoying(still have this one) Sometimes when I boot my computer, when I get to login , and click my name it brings up the password box, but won't let me type in it, so I have to restart. If I try running an executable from a network drive explorer crashes. (Still have this one too) had one with latest service pack that would treat my router as a device w/o drivers, and boot me off my network until I restarted(fixed)

Redache
March 23rd, 2009, 04:30 AM
I had/have few bugs in Windows xp. One had svchost.exe eating 100% of my processor for like 20 minutes at a time. That was a show stopper if I ever saw one(fixed by ms patch). Less severe, though annoying(still have this one) Sometimes when I boot my computer, when I get to login , and click my name it brings up the password box, but won't let me type in it, so I have to restart. If I try running an executable from a network drive explorer crashes. (Still have this one too) had one with latest service pack that would treat my router as a device w/o drivers, and boot me off my network until I restarted(fixed)

Strange issues.

Vista displays some frustrating login behaviour on my Laptop. For some reason when it first boots up I'll start typing my password in and it'll suddenly lose focus. I have to click back on the Text box and retype it as it'll cut off mid password entry. I think this probably has more to do with a finicky touchpad than Windows however.

SunnyRabbiera
March 23rd, 2009, 05:07 AM

A few bugs I bumped into on Ubutu depend on the version, Hardy had this weird terminal bug on me, as well as a small monitor glitch.
None really showstoppers though, minor annoyances though.