PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Problem Installing. Seems easy to fix, just don't know how.

Vic the Trader
March 23rd, 2009, 12:04 AM
I already have an NTFS 200 GB partition on part of the drive. The other 440126 Megabytes I'm trying to put Ubuntu 8.10 on.

Before creating, it displayed...
- Logical
- 440126 Megabytes
- Beginning
- Use as: Ext 3 Journaling File System
- Mount Point: (blank)

After creating it over the free space, when I go to hit forward with a check in the format box, instead of installing Ubuntu, it says.....

"No root file system
No root file system is defined

Please correct this from the partitioning menu"

tommcd
March 23rd, 2009, 01:14 AM
If the 440 GB is free space you could just select the partition option to "use the largest free space", or whatever it says. This will make most of the space a root partition, and it will also create a swap partition that is about 2X the amount of memory you have.

If you would like to use manual partitioning, which will let you set up a separate home partition for your data, then create:
a 12-15 GB (since you have a lot of space) root partition; file type ext3; mount point / (for root).
a 1GB swap partition; this will be setup as swap.
the rest as ext3 partition; mount point /home.
Set the Windows NTFS partition as bootable; mount point /media/windows (or /media/whatever_you_want_to_call_it). Make sure "do not format" is selected for Windows. Or you could just not set a mount point for it if (as I do) you don't care about mounting you Windows partition on Ubuntu.
You should be good from there to finish the install. Write back if you need more help.