PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu what are your views and what would you change.

Omnios
December 30th, 2005, 09:51 PM
This is not to cut up Ubuntu but rather to identify the Ubuntu users point of view and there specific needs and hopefully with possitive input specific users needs may be identified and integrated into future realeases.

Personaly I realy like Ubuntu and Kubuntu and the only thing I would do is make a Ubuntu software section on the web that addresses specific non synaptic software needs with how to install how twos and user reviews and ratings. This is based on commercial use software such as photo editing, cad, web devlopment etc which may be hard to find for Linux.

towsonu2003
December 31st, 2005, 01:13 AM
the lack (sic) of commercial programs for linux is a strenght to me (everything is free, even Gimp and openoffice)... I also am in love with apt-get and the configurations files in /home/username (just rename them and there you have a backup of your configurations, for example, for firefox*...), which are common attributes of debian and linux... driver support is also very nce in ubuntu (the only distro where my modem is working!).

my problems are: lack of drivers in general (I know, manufacturers) + the first link in my signature + you need to learn how to use linux ;)

*It took me 5 minutes to backup my firefox profile + download firefox 1.6a1 + try it (crashed in 5 minutes -wow/scary) + delete it + rename to recover my old profile with everything including extensions as if nothing happened...

chimera
December 31st, 2005, 01:15 AM
Think of a more civilised-sounding and cooler name than Ubuntu. Sounds like something an african tribe would scream while dancing around the fire, which isn't exatly how I'd want people to see my OS.

mcmuffy
December 31st, 2005, 01:17 AM
I think the repos need updating more often to keep up with new and updated software. At the moment I seem to be getting more software via converted RPM's than I do via apt-get.
Yes, I understand that there are various religious and philisophical reasons for this but as an end user I really don't or should not have to care, I just want to get at the software.