PDA

View Full Version : My laptop just shocked the crap out of me

swoll1980
March 22nd, 2009, 10:18 PM
I picked it up off the table, and hit me with a pretty nice jolt, enough for me to feel it in my spine, and make me drop the computer. It's working fine, and I can't reproduce the effect again. What could have caused this?

lisati
March 22nd, 2009, 10:21 PM
My guess is that the most likely culprit is static electricity, possibly picked up by walking on carpet.

b3n87
March 22nd, 2009, 10:22 PM
Huge static charge, have you been walking on the carpet? Your lucky your laptop is still working!

MaxIBoy
March 22nd, 2009, 10:27 PM
I picked it up off the table, and hit me with a pretty nice jolt, enough for me to feel it in my spine, and make me drop the computer. It's working fine, and I can't reproduce the effect again. What could have caused this?Maybe the laptop was grounded on the table before, and when you picked it up, you "became" the ground. But I doubt it.

I know someone whose laptop has a broken keyboard (the function keys are broken, and electronics are exposed.) Whenever he accidentally spills a drink on the keyboard, it shocks him electrically. The keyboard still works.

I'd borrow a volt meter and poke your laptop with it, just in case. (Wear gloves.)

pwnst*r
March 22nd, 2009, 10:35 PM
check your power cord for defects also

swoll1980
March 22nd, 2009, 10:39 PM
My guess is that the most likely culprit is static electricity, possibly picked up by walking on carpet.

That's what my friend suggested. I was walking on the carpet with socks on, and it is winter here. If it was static it was the biggest blast of static I've ever experienced. The only thing I could compare it to would be an electric fence. The electric fence was the only other thing that I've felt in my spine like that.

swoll1980
March 22nd, 2009, 10:40 PM
check your power cord for defects also

I checked it, looks fine, everything looks fine.

tom66
March 22nd, 2009, 10:41 PM
Is the backlight a CCFL (cold cathode)? If so it could be a faulty backlight inverter.

swoll1980
March 22nd, 2009, 10:46 PM
Is the backlight a CCFL (cold cathode)? If so it could be a faulty backlight inverter.

I have no idea it's a Dell latitude 100L might be similar to yours

blastus
March 22nd, 2009, 10:51 PM
I picked it up off the table, and hit me with a pretty nice jolt, enough for me to feel it in my spine, and make me drop the computer. It's working fine, and I can't reproduce the effect again. What could have caused this?

This happened to me once. As I was unplugging the power cord for my laptop from a powerbar, a strong jolt of electricity went through my hand, arm, and into the rest of my body. My arm and hand shook and I yelled out because it hurt. It only lasted for a split second. I don't know what it was but if it would have lasted for more than a split second I don't know what would have happened. Now when I plug it into or unplug it from a powerbar I turn off the power bar first.

speedwell68
March 22nd, 2009, 11:37 PM
It is static for sure. When I was at school we had a computer room full of RM Nimbus PC186 PCs and you could scuff your feet on the cheap nylon floor tiles give yourself a big shock by touching the metal case. Strange thing is we used to do it for a laugh.

chuuk
March 23rd, 2009, 12:12 AM
Had a friend whose keyboard used to give you small shocks if you touched the underside of it, something with the USB wiring wasn't right :P

Gibalo
March 23rd, 2009, 12:17 AM
Ddon't take any electrical shock lightly......go get checked out by a doctor

swoll1980
March 23rd, 2009, 12:25 AM

I'm fine. The bill from the Dr. would do way more damage. Here in the states we don't enjoy the benefits of a decent health care plan.

cariboo
March 23rd, 2009, 12:37 AM
I wouldn't worry about it, when I repaired consumer electronics devices, I got to the point where I didn't even notice anything under 100V until something got hot.

I also used to know an old skool electrician who used to check circuits by unscrewing the fuse, licking his finger and sticking it in the fuse socket.

Jim

abyssius
March 23rd, 2009, 12:37 AM
I'm fine. The bill from the Dr. would do way more damage. Here in the states we don't enjoy the benefits of a decent health care plan.

LOL. Well put. We in the US can all relate to this. Don't worry. From your description it is very likely static electricity. I'd be careful about walking on carpets with socks on, then touching your computer. There's no decent Computer Replacement Plan either!

liamnixon
March 23rd, 2009, 12:56 AM
Ugh, health care. Oh the joys of not having it (at the moment). ](*,)

MasterNetra
March 23rd, 2009, 01:00 AM
That's what my friend suggested. I was walking on the carpet with socks on, and it is winter here. If it was static it was the biggest blast of static I've ever experienced. The only thing I could compare it to would be an electric fence. The electric fence was the only other thing that I've felt in my spine like that.

What were you doing touching electric fences XD

lisati
March 23rd, 2009, 01:03 AM

This thread is shocking! (someone had to say it)

Some of my circle friends and acquaintances had the reverse happen: being checked out by a doctor who recommended getting a shock. Apparently they don't recommend it.

abyssius
March 23rd, 2009, 01:07 AM

Come on, haven't you been tempted to touch an electric fence?

swoll1980
March 23rd, 2009, 01:50 AM

I used to work on a farm. I had to go in to lay down mulch. Someone thought it would be funny, to only pretend to kill the fence. Ha ha.

Arabica Bean
March 23rd, 2009, 02:00 AM
Oh God this was a frequent occurence for me when I moved to Colorado for a while. Whenever I walked on the shagpile carpet, irregardless of what footwear I was wearing... whatever was grounded... the laptop... the doorknob, my girlfriend... would give me an electrostatic shock. I'm talking arcs of shocks here! Apparently it was something to do with the dry air. Alien technology for a guy from Ireland.

My morning ritual... get up, turn on the laptop, go pee, come back, swear as I got shocked my the lappy. I never learned.....

Redache
March 23rd, 2009, 02:32 AM
I used to work on a farm. I had to go in to lay down mulch. Someone thought it would be funny, to only pretend to kill the fence. Ha ha.

The worlds worst idea = Urinating on an Electric Fence. It hurts, but is somehow enjoyable for a split second. I think I'm too old these days to do things like that.

Static is Evil, Put there by Non computer people to destroy us.

Twitch6000
March 23rd, 2009, 02:38 AM
It is static for sure. When I was at school we had a computer room full of RM Nimbus PC186 PCs and you could scuff your feet on the cheap nylon floor tiles give yourself a big shock by touching the metal case. Strange thing is we used to do it for a laugh.

I miss doing that :(.

First grade I use to get paid to do that,then I would pay others even cheaper to do it lol...

jflaker
March 23rd, 2009, 02:50 AM
Interesting....would it happen to have been on a glass topped table?

Capacitor effect between the laptop ad the table?

swoll1980
March 23rd, 2009, 03:47 AM
I miss doing that :(.

First grade I use to get paid to do that,then I would pay others even cheaper to do it lol...

Economics at it's finest.

swoll1980
March 23rd, 2009, 03:48 AM
Interesting....would it happen to have been on a glass topped table?

Capacitor effect between the laptop ad the table?

The table is glass. Why would it matter?

sailthesea
March 23rd, 2009, 03:59 AM
A laptop on a glass table top with ( possibly?) a metal frame would could build a pretty impressive capacitor charge If you you were close to the metal parts you would complete the circuit and you'd certainly notice it!
Lucky you didn't amnesiate your comp!

swoll1980
March 23rd, 2009, 04:23 AM
A laptop on a glass table top with ( possibly?) a metal frame would could build a pretty impressive capacitor charge If you you were close to the metal parts you would complete the circuit and you'd certainly notice it!
Lucky you didn't amnesiate your comp!

It has metal legs also. Perhaps this is the culprit, because I'm still unconvinced this could have been static. When I get hit with static it stings my fingers, but it doesn't roll down my spine, and buckle my knees like this did.

wolfen69
March 23rd, 2009, 04:47 AM
it is winter here.

check your calendar. it's spring. ;)

MikeTheC
March 23rd, 2009, 06:05 AM
I think you may have accidentally reversed the polarity of the neutron flow.

barbedsaber
March 23rd, 2009, 06:54 AM
don't ignore it.
shocks like you described leave no visible signs of injury, but can do some damage.
I am not saying OMG CALL AN AMBULANCE, but sure as hell at least ask a doctor. Do you have friends or family who are doctors?

lisati
March 23rd, 2009, 07:00 AM
check your calendar. it's spring. ;)
I thought it was coming into autumn/fall.

swoll1980
March 23rd, 2009, 07:07 AM
I think you may have accidentally reversed the polarity of the neutron flow.

Ah, so it is. Sure doesn't feel like it though. :) To me Winter is not a date, but rather a state of being.

ssam
March 23rd, 2009, 08:53 AM
It's working fine, and I can't reproduce the effect again.

http://xkcd.com/242/

JackieChan
March 23rd, 2009, 12:21 PM
Hahaha....

GepettoBR
March 23rd, 2009, 04:04 PM

I can't believe no-one asked this yet, but... do you have any Freakazoid-like superpowers now?

swoll1980
March 23rd, 2009, 04:11 PM
I can't believe no-one asked this yet, but... do you have any Freakazoid-like superpowers now?

Yeah I can install Arch Linux now.

GepettoBR
March 23rd, 2009, 04:24 PM
Yeah I can install Arch Linux now.

:lolflag: