PDA

View Full Version : using read(int, void, int) in C example?

mcla0203
March 22nd, 2009, 09:41 PM
Does anyone have an example of using read(int,void, int) in C? I've had trouble finding something through google.

cmay
March 22nd, 2009, 10:08 PM
http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/009695399/functions/read.html
here is the opengroup specifications and i posted a sample from a book of mine i have yet to read which has a example of this function. book is beginning linux programming 4 edition. i am beginner at c so i can not make any other useful comments to this but hope it helps .

#include <stdio.h>
#include <sys/types.h>
#include <unistd.h>

int main(int argc, char** argv)
{
int nread;
char buffer[128];

nread=read(0,buffer,128);

if(nread == -1)
write(2,"an read error occured\n",26);

if((write(1,buffer,nread))!= nread)
write(2,"a write error occured\n",27);

return 0;
}

mcla0203
March 22nd, 2009, 11:10 PM
Yeah, that is the only decent reference I could find, but I couldn't make any sense of what the arguments are. It is read(offset, buffer, number_of_bytes).. so I added in an int, a char* buffer, and an int number of bytes and it crashes.

hanniph
March 22nd, 2009, 11:43 PM
check out the manual. From the 'man read':

ssize_t read(int fd, void *buf, size_t count);

DESCRIPTION
read() attempts to read up to count bytes from file descriptor fd into the buffer starting at buf.

cmay
March 22nd, 2009, 11:57 PM
so I added in an int, a char* buffer, and an int number of bytes and it crashes
the first parameter is a file descriptor 0,1,2 for stdin ,stdout stderr and buffer is a *buffer then last parameter is how many bytes to read as integer.

the example above(which i stole from the book) i gave you is just a simple filecopy rutine which will copy only 128 bytes if they exist so for testing the example it is if used in a pipe on the commandline copying 128 bytes exactly to the stdout or prints error on stderr .

i started using other books and fprintf to learn from instead as my programs also crashed a lot;

geirha
March 23rd, 2009, 12:50 AM
All the functions of the standard c library has man-pages. You install the man-pages with the package manpages-dev (apt:manpages-dev). After installing, you can run
man read to get information on that function. Sometimes though, there are several man-pages with the same name. If you want information on the sleep function for instance, doing
man sleep will give you the information on the sleep command instead of the sleep function. That's because it shows you the first hit it finds, and shell commands are in manual category 1, while standard c library functions are in categories 2 and 3. 3 in the case of the sleep function. In such a case, run

man 3 sleep
# or, to go through all hits in all categories
man -a sleep