PDA

View Full Version : Who here uses a Jabber/XMPP client?

DeadSuperHero
March 22nd, 2009, 09:14 PM
I recently downloaded Empathy to try it out, and I also signed up for an account with Jabber.org. The client seems to run, but I can't really tell, since I don't have any friends on it yet!

So, out of curiosity...I know this is a friendly community. Who wants to be my friend on a Jabber/XMPP protocol?

C'mon, it supports Free Software AND it connects the FOSS community together.

My username is: LastGuyonEarth@Jabber.org

Hit me up sometime. =]

Eisenwinter
March 22nd, 2009, 10:09 PM
You can try bitlbee, it also supports Jabber.

(I'm not a Jabber user myself, but I will register an account and hit you up, hopefully :P)

aeacides
March 22nd, 2009, 10:19 PM
Added! ;- p I got the same "problem" too

Dr Small
March 22nd, 2009, 10:21 PM
Gajim is the ultimate Jabber Client.

Eisenwinter
March 22nd, 2009, 10:25 PM
EDIT: I've registered a Jabber account - lord_of_trash@jabber.org - added you MrPsychopath

Barrucadu
March 22nd, 2009, 11:39 PM
I use Gajim, mostly for updating my identi.ca status. And talking to Dr Small at infrequent intervals. My one human contact :p

Dr Small
March 22nd, 2009, 11:47 PM
I use Gajim, mostly for updating my identi.ca status. And talking to Dr Small at infrequent intervals. My one human contact :p
I'm your only human contact?! O.o

Bölvağur
March 23rd, 2009, 04:38 AM
*doublepost*

Bölvağur
March 23rd, 2009, 04:38 AM
I use jabber. o/

Both registered at google-talk and jabber.org

my contact is in my info. add me if you wish but please.. tell me who you are ^^.

Polygon
March 23rd, 2009, 05:30 AM
just as a heads up, jabber.org goes down a lot. I use it, and i get frustrated a lot when it refuses to connect for sometimes hours at a time (although most of the time its minutes).....im still looking for a good jabber server, i might just use google's, as it supports blocking as well (the only one that does).

inobe
March 23rd, 2009, 06:03 AM
bonjour user here, nothing outside my lan .......

LookTJ
March 23rd, 2009, 07:01 AM
just as a heads up, jabber.org goes down a lot. I use it, and i get frustrated a lot when it refuses to connect for sometimes hours at a time (although most of the time its minutes).....im still looking for a good jabber server, i might just use google's, as it supports blocking as well (the only one that does).
Jabber.org hasn't gone down on me since then in the last 6-7 months.

sujoy
March 23rd, 2009, 09:14 AM
i use pidgin for everything, created a jabber account. sujoy at jabber dot org
added you Mr. Psychopath!!

Bölvağur
March 23rd, 2009, 01:14 PM
just as a heads up, jabber.org goes down a lot.

I have jabber.org on for a long time each day if I am at the computer and I have never have troubles connecting. I have seen 2 maintenance announces and a restart or a shutdown for a short period of time. But it is all during the night.

For some reason google-talk disconnects for very short intervals in pidgin sometimes.

Polygon
March 23rd, 2009, 08:22 PM
Jabber.org hasn't gone down on me since then in the last 6-7 months.

i have no idea what jabber.org YOU are using, but i often, like twice a week get errors with pidgin saying 'connection refused' or 'connection timed out', etc. And its not my connection as i use pidgin, and all of the other protocols connect fine.

meho_r
March 23rd, 2009, 08:35 PM
Maybe it's Pidgin :) BTW, added you guys to contacts

DeadSuperHero
March 23rd, 2009, 11:18 PM
Hey, thanks for adding me! I'm starting to get to know anyone, although I'm not always at my desk...give it time, I suppose.

=]

igor.
March 23rd, 2009, 11:31 PM
Would be cool if there was a possibility to list the jabber id in the profile here, like MSN et cetera.

Dr Small
March 23rd, 2009, 11:48 PM
Would be cool if there was a possibility to list the jabber id in the profile here, like MSN et cetera.
There used to be an option to do so, but it no longer exists.

meho_r
March 24th, 2009, 03:06 PM
There used to be an option to do so, but it no longer exists.

Why did they do that? IMHO jabber should be the first one listed.

Polygon
March 25th, 2009, 05:00 AM
Why did they do that? IMHO jabber should be the first one listed.

because it was a custom plugin to the forums that broke when they upgraded the forum software.