PDA

View Full Version : More fans!

sethmahoney
December 30th, 2005, 09:25 PM
Hey all, this is fairly off-topic, but whatever. I'm thinking it might be a good idea to install an additional fan in my computer, since running Ubuntu seems to get it pretty hot (like uncomfortably hot if you touch the top of the case and it has been running for a while), so I was wondering how I might go about installing a case fan on a box that doesn't already have one installed. Anyone have any ideas? Also, anyone have any recommendations for a nice, powerful, but silent case fan (and CPU fan, for that matter)?

erikpiper
December 30th, 2005, 09:50 PM
Does it have any predrilled areas for a fan?

Any fan is good- just get one that looks good. And overkill is good. I have 9 fans, and 5 are just case fans.

A little insanity, but http://www.tweak3d.net/articles/casecutting/index.shtml

mcmuffy
December 30th, 2005, 09:55 PM
Remember that as a rule bigger fans spin slower to move the same air as smaller fans and are therefore quieter. I only use 120mm fans for this reason (that and my case is designed for them but hey :p)

erikpiper
December 30th, 2005, 10:09 PM
Not always- In most cases the bigger fans are slower, quieter, AND actually move more air!!

If you want to not do any driling, and have no predone places for fans, you could go with a pci-slot exhaust fan..

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?Manufactory=&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=577%3A9654&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&description=&MinPrice=&MaxPrice=&SubCategory=62&Submit=Property

futz
December 30th, 2005, 10:21 PM
When adding a fan or fans to most cases, the tiny little holes they punch for the air to blow thru are horribly restrictive.

I highly recommend you cut out a 80mm or 120mm circle to suit your fan and use a chrome (or fancy laser cut) grill on the outside of the case.

The fan will flow about a thousand times as much air and be quieter to boot. :D

I usually just use tin snips (aviation snips) and hack it out fairly rough, following the existing holes. I don't even deburr usually, as the hole is on the back of the case (who looks there?) and the grill covers the sharp edges pretty well.

In a place where the hole shows, use a dremel or similar grinder to deburr and smooth the hole.

EDIT: Oh ya, I highly recommend SilenX fans. http://www.silenx.com/ They're more money than the cheapies, but they last well and are nice and quiet.

Bladerunner
December 30th, 2005, 10:22 PM
A good place to find quiet pc stuff is http://endpcnoise.com/
I really like the Nexus and Pabst fans.

futz
January 1st, 2006, 01:55 AM
and CPU fan, for that matter?
If you're running an Intel P4 Prescott (socket 775), there is no better air cooler than the Thermaltake Big Typhoon. It also fits some AMD's.

http://www.thermaltake.com/coolers/4in1heatpipe/cl-p0114bigtyphoon/cl-p0114.htm

It's HUGE and might not fit in all machines, but it does an amazing job of keeping the ultra-hot prescott cool and making no noise at all while doing it. With the heatpipes putting most of the bulk way above the mainboard, it clears most every obstacle that causes problems with lower profile cpu coolers. If it'll fit a Gigabyte mainboard with their DPS power daughterboard (that's what I'm running it on), it should fit most anything.

jdong
January 1st, 2006, 03:56 AM
On the software side, if your processor supports it, CPU frequency throttling helps tremendously with temperature concerns in low to medium workloads (it's useless if you're like me and use 100% of the CPU nearly 24/7)

sethmahoney
January 1st, 2006, 10:51 PM
If you're running an Intel P4 Prescott (socket 775), there is no better air cooler than the Thermaltake Big Typhoon.

I've got a socket 478 P4 (I suppose it would have been a good idea to mention that beforehand). But thanks for the suggestion, and thanks everyone else for your suggestions. Keep em coming!

mstlyevil
January 1st, 2006, 11:02 PM
Another thing you could do is just buy a new case. Codgen has some nice mesh cases that are reasonably priced and include the fans. Some also come with power supplys but I would just recommend transfering your old one over or buying a quality one instead. I found these cases here locally at the PC Club for $59-$69. I don't know if you have a PC Club in your area but you can find these cases online. BTW, Mesh cases are awesome for cooling those hot P4's.

mstlyevil
January 1st, 2006, 11:10 PM
If you're running an Intel P4 Prescott (socket 775), there is no better air cooler than the Thermaltake Big Typhoon. It also fits some AMD's.

http://www.thermaltake.com/coolers/4in1heatpipe/cl-p0114bigtyphoon/cl-p0114.htm

It's HUGE and might not fit in all machines, but it does an amazing job of keeping the ultra-hot prescott cool and making no noise at all while doing it. With the heatpipes putting most of the bulk way above the mainboard, it clears most every obstacle that causes problems with lower profile cpu coolers. If it'll fit a Gigabyte mainboard with their DPS power daughterboard (that's what I'm running it on), it should fit most anything.

I just bought a Thermaltake Saprano. I love this case. The only thing I do no like about it is the door on the front is plastic, but for $120 including a 430 watt Thermaltake PS I am not going to complain loudly.

futz
January 1st, 2006, 11:13 PM
Mesh cases are awesome for cooling those hot P4's.
The socket 478 P4's have no heat problems. They run as cool as Athlon 64 cpu's. Stock cooling is fine on 478's. It's only the socket 775 prescotts that run blazing hot.

futz
January 1st, 2006, 11:16 PM
I just bought a Thermaltake Saprano. I love this case. The only thing I do no like about it is the door on the front is plastic, but for $120 including a 430 watt Thermaltake PS I am not going to complain loudly.
I'm shopping a new case for #1. I want to replace an ancient, heavy and noisy InWin Q500. What I'll probably end up with is a Thermaltake Armor http://www.thermaltake.com/xaserCase/armor/va8000swa/va8000swa.htm

It's a huge case, but it's a huge machine. And the case it's in now (the Q500) is huge.

sethmahoney
January 1st, 2006, 11:31 PM
Another thing you could do is just buy a new case. Codgen has some nice mesh cases that are reasonably priced and include the fans. Some also come with power supplys but I would just recommend transfering your old one over or buying a quality one instead. I found these cases here locally at the PC Club for $59-$69. I don't know if you have a PC Club in your area but you can find these cases online. BTW, Mesh cases are awesome for cooling those hot P4's.

I live with a bunch of animals. Think there would be a problem with pet hair getting in the mesh case (it already gets in my solid case)?

I should say, also, that the reasons I'm asking about fans are:
1. My current fan is DYING. It sounds like someone running an electric sander on a 92-year-old horse.
2. The case does get hot, although it gets the hottest right above the power supply (which worries me a bit, since that's the one bit of hardware I've never replaced in a computer). And so, you know, I'd rather it not get hot.

futz
January 1st, 2006, 11:35 PM
although it gets the hottest right above the power supply (which worries me a bit, since that's the one bit of hardware I've never replaced in a computer). And so, you know, I'd rather it not get hot.
Sounds like your power supply fan may have failed, or the intake holes are plugged with fuzz/dust/crap. If the psu (power supply unit) fan has failed, you can easily replace it, or better yet, replace the whole psu with a quality new one (Enermax or other quality brand, 460W and up for modern machines).

If it's just dust, use a compressor or vacuum blower or at worst, a paint brush and your mouth to blow the stuff out of all heat sinks and air holes. Clean the dust off the business side of fan blades and blow it out too.

Everyone, not just people who live with animals, should be cleaning the dust out of things at least a couple times a year. Modern computers move a lot of air thru the case, carrying lots of dust in with it. Cleaning it out of heat sinks/fans is vital to keep the machine running cool and efficient for long life.

sethmahoney
January 1st, 2006, 11:37 PM
Sounds like your power supply fan may have failed, or the intake holes are plugged with fuzz/dust/crap. If the psu (power supply unit) fan has failed, you can easily replace it, or better yet, replace the whole psu with a quality new one (Enermax or other quality brand, 460W and up for modern machines).

Urgh. Can y'all recommend any good HOWTOs for replacing a power supply?

futz
January 1st, 2006, 11:42 PM
Urgh. Can y'all recommend any good HOWTOs for replacing a power supply?

Trivially easy.

Unplug everything, making notes or taking digi pics if necessary to refresh yer memory. Take out the 4 screws on the back that hold the psu in place. Hold the psu up with your hand as you remove these, so it doesn't drop on things. Remove old psu and chuck it in the boneyard for future parts scavenging ;-)

Slide in new psu and screw in place. Reconnect everything. Plug it in and "smoke test". :mrgreen:

sethmahoney
January 1st, 2006, 11:48 PM
Slide in new psu and screw in place. Reconnect everything. Plug it in and "smoke test". :mrgreen:

Ack! I've had boxes smoke before! But that's not nearly as intimidating as I was expecting. Sweet!

Bleh, this thread is making me want to salvage from this box and build a new one, just for funsies (or, maybe, so I can cram another drive in there).

mstlyevil
January 2nd, 2006, 12:36 AM
I live with a bunch of animals. Think there would be a problem with pet hair getting in the mesh case (it already gets in my solid case)?

I should say, also, that the reasons I'm asking about fans are:
1. My current fan is DYING. It sounds like someone running an electric sander on a 92-year-old horse.
2. The case does get hot, although it gets the hottest right above the power supply (which worries me a bit, since that's the one bit of hardware I've never replaced in a computer). And so, you know, I'd rather it not get hot.

The best advice I can give you is to get the case off the floor and at least at desk level. Also I would in that situation (I have two indoor dogs myself.) clean the inside with compressed air once a month. If the power supply is getting hot, I would replace it before you fry something. Also I would get a new heatsink and fan for the CPU. The mesh case will get no dirtier on the inside than a closed case because closed cases still have a fan opening somewhere that lets air and dust in.

mstlyevil
January 2nd, 2006, 12:38 AM
Ack! I've had boxes smoke before! But that's not nearly as intimidating as I was expecting. Sweet!

Bleh, this thread is making me want to salvage from this box and build a new one, just for funsies (or, maybe, so I can cram another drive in there).

Sounds like a good excuse to upgrade parts to me. ( As if I needed an excuse myself. I just do it anyway when I get the itch.)

sethmahoney
January 2nd, 2006, 04:29 AM

Okay, so I took a can of air to the insides of my computer and the back of the power supply and behold! no more grindy noises (or, at least, they're not deafening anymore)! And lo! it isn't so totally catch-on-fire hot! Hurrah! Its still louder than I'd like, though, and I'll probably get a new power supply and a case fan, so yeah, thanks for all y'all's advice!

Iandefor
January 2nd, 2006, 05:00 AM
Why stop at just one additional fan? Make your next case out of fans like this guy (http://www.mini-itx.com/projects/coolcube/) did!

sethmahoney
January 2nd, 2006, 05:05 AM
Why stop at just one additional fan? Make your next case out of fans like this guy (http://www.mini-itx.com/projects/coolcube/) did!

That's pretty insane. Its a shame I have to sleep in the same room as the thing (oh, and that my room isn't a discotheque - oh, no, wait, that's not a shame), or I'd totally go for it.

Iandefor
January 3rd, 2006, 05:55 AM
That's pretty insane. Its a shame I have to sleep in the same room as the thing (oh, and that my room isn't a discotheque - oh, no, wait, that's not a shame), or I'd totally go for it. Oh, I'd go for it in a second, but I'd leave out the mix of lights. I'd go with a uniform colour.
Only problem is, the only place I'd be allowed to keep it is in the shed, it'd be so loud.

futz
January 3rd, 2006, 06:47 AM
That's the first time I've seen that mini-itx fan case. Here's a full size one:
http://www.peteredge.orcon.net.nz/casepics.htm

Iandefor
January 3rd, 2006, 08:11 AM
That's the first time I've seen that mini-itx fan case. Here's a full size one:
http://www.peteredge.orcon.net.nz/casepics.htm Ooh! How unprofessional-looking compared to the Cool Cube :)!

Aside from that, that's ridiculous. What kind of power does that thing draw?

futz
January 3rd, 2006, 08:24 AM
Ooh! How unprofessional-looking compared to the Cool Cube :)!

Aside from that, that's ridiculous. What kind of power does that thing draw?
Who knows? Email the guy and find out. Report back here. :D

Iandefor
January 3rd, 2006, 08:29 AM
Who knows? Email the guy and find out. Report back here. :D
Yes, Sir! :)

EDIT: I can't find the guy. He doesn't list his e-mail address, but he mentioned that he could be contacted at CaseModGod.com. After a thorough search of CaseModGod.com, no dice. Oh well.

mcduck
January 3rd, 2006, 09:49 AM
I'm shopping a new case for #1. I want to replace an ancient, heavy and noisy InWin Q500. What I'll probably end up with is a Thermaltake Armor http://www.thermaltake.com/xaserCase/armor/va8000swa/va8000swa.htm

It's a huge case, but it's a huge machine. And the case it's in now (the Q500) is huge.
I've got Armor myself. It's really nice case, the black version is a bit heavy though. Definitely not the thing to carry to LAN parties ;) I loved the pre-made foles for water tubing. Those made things much easier when building my cooling :D Anyway, it's high quality and very nice looking case, only bad thing being no rubber mounts for HDD's, so if you have very noisy drives you may want to fix that yourself.

This is the case to buy if you have lots of HDD's or disk drives. With default setup you can fit in 8 HDD's and if you want you can fit there 14 drives.. (or 11 DVD burners and 3 HDD's if you wish ;) )

sethmahoney
January 3rd, 2006, 10:56 PM
Oh, hey, can anyone recommend where to look and what to look for in an inexpensive, reliable, and quiet power supply?

Also, ignoring cases made out of fans for the moment (cool as they are - heh, unintentional pun), any recommendations for a good not-too-flashy-but-not-beige-either case that fits a lot of drives (without melting any of them - sometimes my drives get HOT, and then the CD/DVD drives seem to want to stop working) into which I could plop all my current hardware (which includes one of those no-longer-fancy front-mounted card reader/USB port dealeys, a CD-RW, DVD, and 3 hard drives) with room to spare? I don't have the motherboard specs in front of me right now, but the case I currently have is something in a mid-tower such-and-such.

mstlyevil
January 3rd, 2006, 11:51 PM
Oh, hey, can anyone recommend where to look and what to look for in an inexpensive, reliable, and quiet power supply?

Also, ignoring cases made out of fans for the moment (cool as they are - heh, unintentional pun), any recommendations for a good not-too-flashy-but-not-beige-either case that fits a lot of drives (without melting any of them - sometimes my drives get HOT, and then the CD/DVD drives seem to want to stop working) into which I could plop all my current hardware (which includes one of those no-longer-fancy front-mounted card reader/USB port dealeys, a CD-RW, DVD, and 3 hard drives) with room to spare? I don't have the motherboard specs in front of me right now, but the case I currently have is something in a mid-tower such-and-such.

Are you buying locally or online?

sethmahoney
January 4th, 2006, 12:06 AM
Are you buying locally or online?

Either works.

mstlyevil
January 4th, 2006, 12:24 AM
Depending on your budget look for a mid rang to high end power supply. Do not go cheap on it or you may be sorry in the long run. Some brands to consider are:

Athena
Enermax
OCZ
Thermaltake
Coolermaster
Asus

Another rule of thumb is if it cost below $50 it is probally a piece of crap.

Cases you can be a little more thrifty on and still get a great solid case. Try to buy a name brand case like one from Codgen (Codgen Group, CG). Look around and see if you can find a good deal on a high end case like Asus, Coolermaster or Thermaltake. You may be surprised what you can find for a bargain.

I got my Thermaltake Saprano case for $120 with a 430 watt Thermaltake power supply included. I did have to buy a 20 pin to 24 pin adapter to run it on my 24 pin MOBO but hey I am not complaining.

jdong
January 4th, 2006, 12:27 AM
I've had excellent luck with Antec power supplies, too... They are fairly quiet, acceptably so.... Especially their silent and near-silent ones.

mstlyevil
January 4th, 2006, 12:28 AM
I've had excellent luck with Antec power supplies, too... They are fairly quiet, acceptably so.... Especially their silent and near-silent ones.

I forgot about Antec

sethmahoney
January 8th, 2006, 02:21 AM
Woohoo! Got an Antec power supply, got it installed with no problems, and now my computer is back to its old self. Still not as quiet as I'd like, but its a vast improvement. Thanks for the help!

mstlyevil
January 8th, 2006, 02:49 AM
Woohoo! Got an Antec power supply, got it installed with no problems, and now my computer is back to its old self. Still not as quiet as I'd like, but its a vast improvement. Thanks for the help!

No prob.:D

Iandefor
January 8th, 2006, 03:10 AM
Good to hear! Here's a way to make it sound quiet: run 70 case fans simultaneously for ten hours straight. Turn them off, and boot up your Antec. It'll sound whisper-quiet, I assure you :).