PDA

View Full Version : what term do you prefer?

jimi_hendrix
March 22nd, 2009, 07:42 PM
lets face it, we all like computers to some degree, this makes us nerds or geeks to some degree

which term do you prefer, nerd or geek if you had to be called it?

joshdudeha
March 22nd, 2009, 07:42 PM
I think I prefer the term geek, it doesn't seem as weedy or degrading as nerd.

entr3p
March 22nd, 2009, 07:45 PM
Geek because I'm not intelligent school-wise at all ;). More there are such things as "sexy" Geeks but not "sexy" Nerds >.>.

perlluver
March 22nd, 2009, 07:54 PM
Geek, it doesn't sound as harsh as Nerd.

BGFG
March 22nd, 2009, 07:57 PM
Call me whatever makes you feel warm in your chestal reigon. I'm not the one who paid for 'speed up my pc'.

Did you get 5 times your download speed after ?

cardinals_fan
March 22nd, 2009, 07:57 PM
Nerd, because aside from computers I have no appreciation of "geek culture" (Star Wars, anime, etc.)

t0p
March 22nd, 2009, 08:05 PM
Geek - because to me, nerd has too many negative connotations. But I'm sure some other folk will choose nerd because geek has too many negative connotations for them...

cmay
March 22nd, 2009, 08:07 PM
interested computeruser .

i am not a geek nerd hacker or cyberpunker or any of these things associated with computers and that as a hobby or lifestyle even. i am a bit interested in how the stuff works and i do use linux more of a political choice than of ohter reasons so its a life style to me. i still not a geek or hacker or nerd or anything else due to this.

jimi_hendrix
March 22nd, 2009, 08:13 PM
i like geek better, because as said above, nerd sounds harsher

chucky chuckaluck
March 22nd, 2009, 08:15 PM
nothing personal ('cuz i do like you guys an awful lot), but i was pretty relieved when i flunked the geek test.

kk0sse54
March 22nd, 2009, 08:23 PM
nothing personal ('cuz i do like you guys an awful lot), but i was pretty relieved when i flunked the geek test.

haha same here :p

lykwydchykyn
March 22nd, 2009, 08:30 PM
"exalted guru" works for me, but I can live with "the chosen one" if I must.

Kvark
March 22nd, 2009, 09:34 PM
Depends on what you mean. A nerd is intelligent but lacks social skills. A geek is very interested in a particular topic.

Personally I feel that geek suits me better. I was a nerd in school (great grades, not many friends, not cool) but I feel that I've grown out of that phase. Computers still take up an unhealthy amount of my interest so guess I'm still a computer geek.

happysmileman
March 22nd, 2009, 10:37 PM
I consider "nerd" to be inoffensive, whereas "geek" might offend me, and I assumed most people would, though clearly not.

I'm not sure why, I think it might just be because "nerd" is used a lot more here, and "geek" is kinda cacaphonic.

swoll1980
March 22nd, 2009, 10:44 PM
Geek. When I hear nerd I think of taped glasses, and pocket protectors.

MaxIBoy
March 22nd, 2009, 10:52 PM
My favorite would have to be xterm.

scottuss
March 22nd, 2009, 10:53 PM
My favorite would have to be xterm.

NerdGeek :p

lisati
March 22nd, 2009, 10:57 PM
I prefer neither term. The term "nerd" is too negative, and "geek" can be misapplied to imply superpowers that can (will?) let you down at awkward moments.
I'm still waiting for the movie version "Revenge of the geeks".

Barrucadu
March 22nd, 2009, 11:38 PM
Nerd, because I think the Jargon File's definition of that fits me better. A geek is a person with obsessive interest and expertise in one particular area, whereas a nerd has a wider range of interest and expertise.

Jimmynemo2
March 23rd, 2009, 12:18 AM
Geek, though neither offend me, I always refer to myself as geek, not nerd.

Jimmynemo2
March 23rd, 2009, 12:26 AM
Woops, sorry for the double post...

Bölvağur
March 23rd, 2009, 12:57 AM
my department's student organization name is N.Ö.R.D. so I guess I wouldn't be too ashamed of being called a nerd.

MasterNetra
March 23rd, 2009, 01:25 AM

No prob I'm not a geek or nerd anyway, I've got that "Harmless Weird Guy" title. :p Well the Harmless part gets added when the person gets to know me slightly better :p But i prefer the Harmless Eccentric .

speedwell68
March 23rd, 2009, 02:19 AM
I am a nerd. I always thought a geek was a nerd without social skills.:D

RiceMonster
March 23rd, 2009, 02:38 AM
I'm not bothered being called either, to be entirely honest. I'd definitely say I'm a geek or nerd, 'cause I'm into computers and anime. Only people who know me closely would ever say I'm a geek though, 'cause you'd never guess it unless you started spending a lot of time around me. Most people think of me as a "rocker" or "metalhead" or something.

sujoy
March 23rd, 2009, 04:29 AM
i'd prefer geek, just cause it sounds cool.
oh and i love star wars and hate animes, now where exactly do i fit in :confused: :P

MikeTheC
March 24th, 2009, 07:41 AM
Technology enthusiast, if what we're talking about is relative to the computer world.

Otherwise, there isn't really a good term, since I'm simply an analytical person, a characteristic hardly limited to the world of computers. :p

Giant Speck
March 24th, 2009, 07:45 AM
Why is there no option for both?

I couldn't care less what someone refers to me as.

rucadulu
April 22nd, 2009, 04:59 AM
Geek

Chilli Bob
April 22nd, 2009, 06:27 AM
I realise that the definitions of the terms will change with time and locale, but here and now I understand geeks to be a subset of nerds, being those into computers/technology. I consider myself to be a nerd due to my star wars/animae/stamp collecting interests, but a geek due to my interest in computers. In time I hope to become geekier, but am happy with my level of nerdiness. (OK, a little more nerdy couldn't hurt).

cariboo
April 22nd, 2009, 06:55 AM
When I hear the word geek, even though I am one, I always remeber this definition that was posted on Slshdot years ago:

a carnival performer who performs sensationally morbid or disgusting acts, as biting off the head of a live chicken.

from Dictionary.com (http:///dictionary.reference.com/browse/geek)

RichardLinx
April 22nd, 2009, 07:04 AM
Geek.

amingv
April 22nd, 2009, 07:25 AM
Either one is fine (and many others), though I've been hesitant to be called geek ever since the geek squad was formed. :( (j/k)

beercz
April 22nd, 2009, 03:01 PM
Usually people only talk to me about computers when they need help.

I have been called "expert", "the sage", "the oracle" and so on ...

I have also been called lots of other things too, but we won't go there!

chriskin
April 22nd, 2009, 03:27 PM
none, having a hobby to make your life more enjoyable by choosing a better os and some good apps for the time you spend on the pc, doesn't put you in a category. both geek and nerd are taken negatively by the majority out there, or at least this is the way the words are considered here in greece. if i had to choose though, geek would be the choice

chillboat
April 22nd, 2009, 04:25 PM
i prefer 2nd Geek

chriskin
April 22nd, 2009, 04:27 PM
---- edit