PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] X problems when upgrading to Ibex

Mayfairy
March 22nd, 2009, 07:35 PM
I just upgraded from Hardy to Ibex. Everything seemed to go quite well but after I rebooted I got an error saying "(EE) Default device is not PCI"

I fiddled with the settings a lot and finally found some threads to help me (used another computer).
What I did was apt-get remove --purge Nvidia* after which I downloaded the latest Nvidia drivers 180.29 and installed them.
From lspci | grep VGA I got an address 2:0:0 which I added to my xorg.conf as busid "PCI:2:0:0" after which starting X gave me a login screen that flickered in black and white occasionally showing me the login screen behind it. I couldn't enter my login details.

After some more googling I changed the HorizSync and VertRefresh to reflect those of my monitor (Samsung SyncMaster 226BW). Starting X after that showed my background and it tried to load gnome-panels which disappeared soon. I saw a mouse cursor that turned into a loading clock every once in a while and some outlines of windows were flickering on the screens. This went on for quite a while.

Then I Ctrl-Alt-F1'd into tty and got a message saying something about module type1 not loaded. With some google advice I commented module type1 out from xorg.conf and rebooted.

After this the black and white blinking on my login screen happened again. No matter what I did (even copying over my xorg.conf with the settings that got me to desktop earlier) I couldn't make it go away and I'm still getting this blinking.

Any advice on what to do here?

EDIT: tty is giving me 4 lines saying "no block devices found"

FrostDust
March 22nd, 2009, 08:05 PM
What model video card are you using? Some of the older Nvidia and ATI cards aren't supported by the new version of Xorg in Ibex.

Mayfairy
March 22nd, 2009, 08:22 PM
Finally an answer. Thanks! :)

I'm using Club3D's Geforce 6600 GS.

I read that some people with really new cards had similar problems though, at least to the "remove every Nvidia thing and fetch the VGA address from lspci info" part.

FrostDust
March 22nd, 2009, 08:37 PM
After a bit of googling, I found this post (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=130440&highlight=6600) on the Nvidia forums. Short story is that even though it's listed as being compatible with a certain driver, there may a bug which inhibits the card from functioning properly.

Try a different driver version.The posting mentions 180.37 and 185.13 as working with 6600s

Mayfairy
March 22nd, 2009, 09:28 PM
No go. I've fiddled around with the settings a lot and seem to have experienced nearly every error message there is.
Can't do othan than try and try.

EDIT: Latest info:
I can get to login screen, I can see the Nvidia logo before that, resolution seems to be ok, BUT I'm seeing a black screen for 1 second, then a really quick white screen followed by even quicker view of my login screen after which again 1 sec black screen and over again.

Choosing the right HorizSync and VertRefresh rates on xorg.conf corrected this earlier but now that I look at them they're still the right ones and this keeps happening.

Mayfairy
March 24th, 2009, 05:54 PM
Finally managed to get my box working. As the most radical measure I did a clean install of Ibex on top of my old install without formatting it.
Good thing I kept my /home on another partition.
Took a bit fiddling around after that to get things working but in the end it turned out ok.

One thing I noted though is that I couldn't make desktop effects work with my Nvidia 6600GS card no matter what I did.

Luckily I had already ordered a new Nvidia 9800 GT card which I installed and voila, when I logged in I had desktop effects working really nicely.