PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Memory Not Recognized

misterfixit
March 22nd, 2009, 04:10 PM
OK, I've searched here with all kinds of key words, but nothing comes up for me when I look for "Memory Not Recognized" or variants there of.

I just stuck in a couple of DDR2 2GB sticks in addition to the already installed 2x 1GB DDR2 sticks. Cold boot and BiOS says I now have 6 GB. When fully booted, Ubuntu says I still have the original 2GB.

Seems that I recall there used to be problems along this line of not recognizing added memory.

Anyone want to help me out here?

P.S. Wonder if I am using the wrong keywords to search for an answer to this question??

misterfixit
March 25th, 2009, 01:47 PM
Bump, anyone. No, not THAT kind of bump! Bump as in does anyone have a clue?

WakkiTabakki
March 25th, 2009, 01:53 PM
It could be of two reasons (that I can think of anyway):
- Faulty memory modules, try running memtest on it (included on the Live-CD)
- If you're running a 32-bit operating system, the limitation in address space (due to the 32-bit architecture) limits usable memory to roughly 3Gb. I have 4Gb in my laptop, but Ubuntu only recognizes 3 of them (waiting for Jaunty to migrate to 64bit...)

/N

misterfixit
March 25th, 2009, 02:00 PM
It could be of two reasons (that I can think of anyway):
- Faulty memory modules, try running memtest on it (included on the Live-CD)
- If you're running a 32-bit operating system, the limitation in address space (due to the 32-bit architecture) limits usable memory to roughly 3Gb. I have 4Gb in my laptop, but Ubuntu only recognizes 3 of them (waiting for Jaunty to migrate to 64bit...)

/N

Thank you for the very quick response. After reading your reply I did a search for "memory limitation" and got the same answer. Seems I wasn't using the correct search terms to find my answer.

I appreciate your assistance!.

Regards,
Dave