PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] which is the best desktop?

joelswatson
March 22nd, 2009, 03:31 PM
hi, i would like to know, which is the best desktop to use.

kde / gnome / xfce, or is there one better to use?

thanks for anyones and everyones help

x33a
March 22nd, 2009, 04:01 PM
it depends on your requirements and liking.

if you want the best looking DE, then kde is the way to go. but it is meant for mid to high end systems, i.e. higher resource usage.

gnome for a balance between looks and stability and resource usage.

and xfce for the lightest of the three.

and if you want even lighter ones, go for openbox, fluxbox, icewm etc.

Therion
March 22nd, 2009, 04:03 PM
hi, i would like to know, which is the best desktop to use.
It all depends.

joelswatson
March 22nd, 2009, 04:07 PM
hi, thanks for all of your replies,

i think kde will be the way for me to go, cause i have a c2d 2.0ghz with 4gb ram, and a gf 8400m gs vc, so i think kde will run fine,

thanks to all,

please lock/close thread

the8thstar
March 22nd, 2009, 04:15 PM
Yay, another DE contest! Gnome, Gnome, Gnome!!! :D

Seriously, you should try at least Gnome AND KDE. They are easy to install/uninstall through Synaptic.

Give us your feedback!

sekinto
March 22nd, 2009, 05:43 PM
In my opinion KDE4 is really bad (and this comes from someone who really likes QT). Although, that is just my opinion. I'm liking the current state of Gnome, and the Gnome development team seems to actually be concerned about making things user-accessible and having a good-UI in programs.

Another Monkey
March 22nd, 2009, 07:13 PM
As I am fairly new, I just stuck with Gnome. A bit confusing at times, but seems to work well enough. xfce didn't seem much different to Gnome really, but I only gave it a brief try for a day or so

KDE....urgh. Hated it. Found it very hard to work with, configure and it was unstable (this is 4.1). Some of that may be down to me only using Ubuntu under virtualisation, and most is certainly down to my lack of knowledge.

Only way to find out what is "best", and your own opinion on that will almost certainly change, is to try them all until you find one that fits.

I am sure KDE can be great, if one has the knowledge to work it.

andrea000
March 22nd, 2009, 08:13 PM
Gnome is my pick but that is what i have been using all my life.KDE looks to much like microsoft for me.But that is just my opinion.

hictio
March 22nd, 2009, 08:31 PM
For me it is Gnome, and it has been since 2000.
I like it because you can make it look as lean or as bloated as you want it to.

ITOH, I have played a lot with the minimalistic Window Managers around '02 or so, specially BlackBox.