PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] kde4 poor integration in gnome, ubuntu 8.10

devent
March 22nd, 2009, 11:54 AM
Why is the intergration of kde4 applications are so poor in Gnome? Is it because kde4 is not stable enought yet? Was it than a good thing to put kde4 applications in the Ubuntu 8.10 repositories? The kde3 apps working good as well.

I have real problems with kopete and kate. The two apps that I really like to use. In Kopete is the text is not good rendered and Kate is really slow.

devent
March 23rd, 2009, 07:00 AM
Now I have no titelbar and borders in Okular. What happend?
Can I use KDE3 applications in Ubuntu 8.10?

SunnyRabbiera
March 23rd, 2009, 07:02 AM
The two use very different interfaces, KDE uses QT while Gnome uses GTK:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gtk
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qt_(toolkit)

learn:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Widget_toolkit

inobe
March 23rd, 2009, 07:11 AM
it's best to run desktop environments separate :)

ubuntu for gnome desktop

kubuntu for kde desktop

Xiong Chiamiov
March 23rd, 2009, 07:47 AM
Why is the intergration of kde4 applications are so poor in Gnome?
Because they're KDE apps, not Gnome apps. Although many of us do, you're not supposed to mix-and-match DEs.

devent
March 23rd, 2009, 08:50 AM
Because they're KDE apps, not Gnome apps. Although many of us do, you're not supposed to mix-and-match DEs.

Sorry, but I strongly disagree. I was using Kde3 before with Sidux and the integration of Gnome apps was very good. So I and many other users don't really care about GTK+ and QT, and I don't care who's to blame, but I need my applications. I need my Kate, Kopete and Kpdf/Okular.

So if I'm not suppose to mix KDE4 and Gnome applications, why are they in the official repositories of Ubuntu? If KDE4 is not stable enought now, why don't just give the good old KDE3 applications?

SunnyRabbiera
March 23rd, 2009, 11:38 AM
Sorry, but I strongly disagree. I was using Kde3 before with Sidux and the integration of Gnome apps was very good. So I and many other users don't really care about GTK+ and QT, and I don't care who's to blame, but I need my applications. I need my Kate, Kopete and Kpdf/Okular.

So if I'm not suppose to mix KDE4 and Gnome applications, why are they in the official repositories of Ubuntu? If KDE4 is not stable enought now, why don't just give the good old KDE3 applications?

Some people like discouraging mixing the two together, but for me I dont.
If you like a KDE app over a gnome one use it.
In sidux, its the reverse of what yopu are setting up.
Sidux uses KDE as default and even though I never used sidux I bet it uses gtk-qt to make gtk apps look like KDE apps.
Its actually easier to make GTK apps look like KDE apps then it is to make KDE apps look like GTK apps., as on KDE you got GTK-QT but on gnome we dont have the reverse.
From my understanding though its just more easy to make GTK look like QT as QT can wrap itself around GTK but for some odd reason the reverse is hard to do.

The KDE3 vs KDE4 debate is also bound to pop up, KDE3 is sadly fading out in Ubuntu... shame too as in my opinion KDE3 is more feature ready.
I think the Ubuntu developers jumped the gun, and wish it wasnt the case...

devent
March 30th, 2009, 03:17 PM
Well, I'm using Fedora 10 with KDE4 now, and it works flawlessly and every Gnome app works great. But I'm looking forward to the new Ubuntu version and I hope that KDE4 apps will be treated as equals in a Gnome environment.