PDA

View Full Version : The thing that bugs me about the Alternate Install process

diablo75
March 22nd, 2009, 09:18 AM
(If you're a mod, could you move this to the Community Cafe forum... I posted in here by accident)

What I like about the Live CD install:

Step 1: Answer a few questions
Step 2: Grab a sandwich while you wait for it to install; no more "baby sitting" is required from here on (usually)
Step 3: Click restart, and you're done

What I don't like about the Alternate CD:

Step 2: Wait a few minutes for it to "install the base system"
Step 3: Answer a couple more questions that could have been answered during Step 1 above (what time zone are you in?; what username do you want?).
Step 4: Finally have the opportunity to grab that sandwich while you wait for everything else to install
Step 5: Reboot

I'm sure there's a good reason they did it like this... right?

Bachstelze
March 22nd, 2009, 10:35 AM
Moved.

gn2
March 22nd, 2009, 11:08 AM
Here's a simple solution: have your sandwich before you start the installation. ;)

diablo75
March 22nd, 2009, 11:10 AM
Ha ha, but really. Is there something wrong with asking questions like "What time zone are you in?" And "What is your name (username) and password going to be?" before it starts installing anything? I'd just like to answer all the questions in rapid order, tell it to go ahead with writing changes to the disc, and then walk away and not have to come back 5 minutes later to keep things moving along.

billgoldberg
March 22nd, 2009, 11:17 AM
What I don't like about the alternative install is that it isn't able to actually install ubuntu on my systems.

It just freezes.

billgoldberg
March 22nd, 2009, 11:18 AM
(If you're a mod, could you move this to the Community Cafe forum... I posted in here by accident)

What I like about the Live CD install:

Step 2: Grab a sandwich while you wait for it to install; no more "baby sitting" is required from here on (usually)
Step 3: Click restart, and you're done

What I don't like about the Alternate CD:

Step 2: Wait a few minutes for it to "install the base system"
Step 3: Answer a couple more questions that could have been answered during Step 1 above (what time zone are you in?; what username do you want?).
Step 4: Finally have the opportunity to grab that sandwich while you wait for everything else to install
Step 5: Reboot

I'm sure there's a good reason they did it like this... right?

That reminds me of the Win XP install process, but that was as you know a lot worse.

Eisenwinter
March 22nd, 2009, 01:51 PM
Well, don't ever try to install Gentoo then :lolflag:

:P

Mehall
March 22nd, 2009, 02:34 PM
Debian (who's installer that is) designed it so it used the minimal amount of RAM possible. Every little Helps, as Tesco say, and not having to store those few bytes of data throughout the install is useful, as it allows Debian (and Ubuntu if not for the bug stopping it) to install on 64MB of RAM

kk0sse54
March 22nd, 2009, 05:23 PM
Well, don't ever try to install Gentoo then :lolflag:

:P

You'd have time for several sandwhiches then :p

diablo75
March 23rd, 2009, 09:30 AM
You'd have time for several sandwhiches then :p

http://marshcousins.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/lunchables.jpg

diablo75
March 23rd, 2009, 09:35 AM
Debian (who's installer that is) designed it so it used the minimal amount of RAM possible. Every little Helps, as Tesco say, and not having to store those few bytes of data throughout the install is useful, as it allows Debian (and Ubuntu if not for the bug stopping it) to install on 64MB of RAM

Meh, I don't buy that. How much data could a username and a time-zone preference take up? I mean literally, that's all you're asked to answer during "step three" as far I know. A username could take up probably 20 or 30 bytes tops (within reason), a timezone could be represented by just one byte if you wanted to be conservative about it. I doubt placing these two little questions in the middle of the install actually makes things move along a lot faster. Seems kind of absurd to say that shaving less than a kilobyte of data out of 64 megabytes needed memory would make that big of a difference. That's like .00064 percent of ram usage.

ghindo
March 23rd, 2009, 09:46 AM
I've never had a sandwich while installing Ubuntu - have I been doing it wrong this whole time? :(