PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu morphing into windows...

Glenn Sandford
March 22nd, 2009, 02:14 AM
I recently re-formatted my hard drive with 8.10 after 8.04 ceased to function correctly. Now that isn't an issue, it is an ongoing adventure playing with ubuntu and I have been enjoying the process for over 2 years.

But I was compelled to join this forum to seek some answers about just where Ubuntu is heading??

Up until now Ubuntu has been a good slave. It does what I tell it if it can and there are lots of great graphic interfaces to access all of it's capabilities, not to mention the good old terminal. So I have to admit to being horrified at installing 8.10 only to have it jumping around like a Jack Russell terrier looking for attention. Files loaded from disk all had their permissions changed, I didn't ask it to do that. Little yellow boxes opening to tell me the obvious. I put a cd in the drive and it wants to start playing with the picture files on the disc.
Now I know that none of these things is particularly difficult to fix, usually just a moment of patience and at most a couple of mouse clicks.
But these are some of the things that I hate about the Windows environment. I dont want to be nagged at!
So this brings me to ask, what is the agenda? At what point do we loose the beauty of the linux/ Ubuntu system and just become a clone of windows with perhaps a more stable base?

NOw I know I am venting, but I'm up for some serious discussion here. Just what is the desired outcome of this project?

sailthesea
March 22nd, 2009, 02:20 AM
I think you jumped into the wrong sandpit here!;)
You raise an interesting point that may be worth pursuing perhaps in another forum?

Mark Phelps
March 22nd, 2009, 05:04 PM
You posted in "Installation and Upgrades", and while your question is about "upgrades" in some sense, you're really asking about the future intention of the product, not immediate upgrades.

Ubuntu is community-driven, even though it is sponsored and hosted by Canonical. This is not Microsoft where one megacorp unilaterally decides what ALL of us will be doing OS-wise for the next five years.

The best you're going to see is what is planned for the next six-month release. If you go to the link below, you'll see the schedule for Jaunty Jackalope. If you google for Karmic Koala, you'll find info on that. Beyond that, there isn't anything to see.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/JauntyReleaseSchedule

jbrevik
March 22nd, 2009, 05:09 PM
Just because Ubuntu behaves like windows in some fashion, doesn't necessarily mean that its a bad thing. There has to be some balance in usability and customization to really be successful.