PDA

View Full Version : The Return of the C:\ Prompt?

mstlyevil
December 30th, 2005, 06:19 PM
Microsoft plans new text-based controls for Windows Vista.

Microsoft has big plans for the trusty old C:\ prompt. For its upcoming Windows Vista operating system, the company is developing a new command-line interface, or shell--the text-based controls typically accessed by clicking Command Prompt (under Start Menu, Programs, Accessories) in Windows XP.

Code-named Monad, the new shell will enable a host of new programs known as scripts--something at which rival Unix operating systems have historically excelled. While these new commands and scripts will interest primarily administrators and power users, less-technical types may benefit from Monad scripts that could circulate on the Internet as Unix scripts do. For example, a Monad script might quickly reorganize files and directories based on their name or creation date--a task that can take a fair bit of manual labor in Windows Explorer.

A beta version of Monad for Windows XP is available as a free download. Registration is required, and you will also need to have .Net Framework 2.0 (available at the same page) installed.

I found this article on PCWorld.com. I thought it might make interesting disscussion. It seems like to me that MSFT wants to make Windows more Unix like. What are your thoughts on this?

http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,124065,00.asp

Mr_J_
December 30th, 2005, 06:28 PM
I had found about this some time ago.
I have also found out that the beta releases of this shell already have howtos on the making of malicious scripts.

I have no knowledge if the monad shell really is to be made into the Vista OS.
I've heard rumours it is going to be, but heard rumours it's not...

Think it's a good idea. Seems to have worked for the *nix OSes for ages.
I heard rumours about them putting the Unix file permissions on Vista as well.

Hope it works for them as well as it has suited the Unix world.
Of course we all know it's going to backfire at some point.

Everything windows puts in usually does.

mstlyevil
December 30th, 2005, 06:38 PM
The people I know that are Windows fanboys are probally going to hate Vista if it includes Unix style permissions. These same people don't run firewalls because they hate to have to give permission to let a program access the net. Imagine how they are going to react when they have to type their password everytime they install something or want to reconfigure something. I think that MSFT's move to more Unix style Windows will backfire when people just cant change something as easy as they did before. These people want MSFT to add better security but they don't want to be inconvienced by it.

prizrak
December 30th, 2005, 08:35 PM
I already know how it's gonna backfire, it will be integrated to the point where you can embedd scripts into websites/e-mails and run them through monad. I also agree with mstlyevil that people will hate the new Unix like security model and bitch at MS for implementing it.

BWF89
December 30th, 2005, 08:49 PM
I think this is going to be a step forward for Windows. People who like to use the command line are going to use this feature and people that don't will just ignore or disable it.

xequence
December 30th, 2005, 09:30 PM
Everyone knows linux/unix/bsd beats windows technically. Its much more secure and stuff... So what does microsoft do? Trys to copy something from a whole other OS into their own.

Seriously, windows has been patched and hacked up for 20 years. It is like a pirate ship made of plywood stapled together. It floats, but any other addition to it will make it unstable and make it sink.

prizrak
December 30th, 2005, 10:25 PM
I kinda agree with xequence here, considering how old MS is as compared to Linux based OS's it's really weird how many problems they got.

M3ta7h3ad
December 31st, 2005, 01:47 AM
The people I know that are Windows fanboys are probally going to hate Vista if it includes Unix style permissions. These same people don't run firewalls because they hate to have to give permission to let a program access the net. Imagine how they are going to react when they have to type their password everytime they install something or want to reconfigure something. I think that MSFT's move to more Unix style Windows will backfire when people just cant change something as easy as they did before. These people want MSFT to add better security but they don't want to be inconvienced by it.

Considering even NTFS permissions offer the same or similar functionality to what is proposed for vista, I dont think it will be as much of a bomb shell as you think.

As for linux being "technically better" and "more secure" its much of a muchness. Lets not turn it into a flame bait thread though innit :)

Rackerz
December 31st, 2005, 03:09 AM
I think it's good. It wont have any effect on users who don't know shell was or what it is. They just wont bother using it and will probably ignore it.

bionnaki
December 31st, 2005, 04:18 AM
I think it's a good thing...for linux/*unix particularly. windows people might dabble with the windows shell and enjoy it...but then realize that the *nix shell is light-years ahead & switch over.

prizrak
December 31st, 2005, 05:02 AM
I think it's a good thing...for linux/*unix particularly. windows people might dabble with the windows shell and enjoy it...but then realize that the *nix shell is light-years ahead & switch over.
Or at the very least not be afraid of using the shell.