PDA

View Full Version : How To Update Ubuntu Faster - Guide Criticism!

entr3p
March 21st, 2009, 11:04 PM
Well I wrote a guide on how to "Update Ubuntu Faster" but I need some criticism. I attempted to write the guide to be "newbie" friendly but I'm not satisfied.

Important Tip - Update Ubuntu Faster By Choosing The Fastest Server (http://www.learningubuntu.com/guide/important-tip-update-ubuntu-faster-choosing-fastest-server)

cardinals_fan
March 21st, 2009, 11:20 PM
There's nothing wrong with it...

MaxIBoy
March 21st, 2009, 11:21 PM
Just something you could mention: going into the repositories and unchecking all the "source" repos if they happen to be selected. Most people aren't going to need the source code anyway.

perlluver
March 21st, 2009, 11:21 PM
Looks good, Spelling is awesome. Good Job! :popcorn:

entr3p
March 21st, 2009, 11:39 PM
There's nothing wrong with it...

Well it's not really that I think there is something "wrong" but I know it could be better and was hoping for some suggestions for the guide.

Sealbhach
March 21st, 2009, 11:42 PM
Looks good but your website looks weird, it doesn't have any kind of banner or title at the top, so it looks a little strange.

entr3p
March 21st, 2009, 11:45 PM
Looks good but your website looks weird, it doesn't have any kind of banner or title at the top, so it looks a little strange.

Lol I'm sorry about that. It was created 3 days ago and I'm not exactly good at making graphics :(. I'm working on it a lot so I'm either going to try my best and make an "okay" banner or find someone kind enough to create me one.

cardinals_fan
March 21st, 2009, 11:58 PM
Well it's not really that I think there is something "wrong" but I know it could be better and was hoping for some suggestions for the guide.
It's a very specific topic. There isn't all that much to say ;)

JohnFH
March 22nd, 2009, 12:03 AM
I'd definitely remove the sentence about the 'experienced' way of updating. It's a bit condescending and there's no need for it anyway and it doesn't make sense to have that level of detail in a how-to for beginners.

Apart from that, it's good and the screenshots are especially helpful - big plus for them!

entr3p
March 22nd, 2009, 12:13 AM
I'd definitely remove the sentence about the 'experienced' way of updating. It's a bit condescending and there's no need for it anyway and it doesn't make sense to have that level of detail in a how-to for beginners.

Apart from that, it's good and the screenshots are especially helpful - big plus for them!

Thanks for the suggestion :D! Yeah I just put it as an extra but I guess I'll save that for another article and I tried to put a fair amount of screenshots because personally I find guides to be easier to follow with screenshots :).

phaed
March 22nd, 2009, 12:13 AM
The problem with "Select Best Server" is that I've gotten different results at different times, depending on the vagaries and hiccups of the Internet. You may not get the server that actually is the fastest most of the time if you try that service just once (assuming there IS a consistently fastest server).

The fastest way to update your system, in my experience, is command line. Set up a cron job and let it work in the background. You lose Zero time. :)

entr3p
March 22nd, 2009, 12:17 AM
The problem with "Select Best Server" is that I've gotten different results at different times, depending on the vagaries and hiccups of the Internet. You may not get the server that actually is the fastest most of the time if you try that service just once (assuming there IS a consistently fastest server).

The fastest way to update your system, in my experience, is command line. Set up a cron job and let it work in the background. You lose Zero time. :)

I have to agree on this and I know there are a couple of guides showing how to do this but I tried to make it as newbie friendly as possible ;). I might make an "experienced" version but that will be later on.