PDA

View Full Version : GM viruses - good or bad?

artilec
March 21st, 2009, 08:37 PM
Is there such a thing as a good virus? I'm just theorizing about why both my wife and I have experienced a significant loss of appetite this week for no apparent reason. I'm just not hungry. Our appetites typically tend to be so strong. So I'm thoroughly puzzled as to why both her appetite and mine suddenly went south this week. I couldn't care less about food. A small yogurt is about as much as I want to eat for a meal. It's weird. I'm not feeling any other adverse health effects, and neither is my wife. Could something in the water be doing it? Are there good viruses? I just can't imagine why this is happening.

MasterNetra
March 21st, 2009, 08:43 PM
Well i suppose a good virus would be one thats non-lethal, or debilitating and benefits you more then not. But aside from the possible retro-virus for genetic updating (though i think we may employ nanites instead) or a virus engineered to attack only bad things in our body i haven't heard of a natural beneficial virus.
But yogurt does consist of good bacteria that helps fight and kill bad breath bacteria and promotes digestion. In fact yogurt is mostly made of this type of bacteria ;)

So Tough
March 21st, 2009, 08:47 PM
Is there such a thing as a good virus? I'm just theorizing about why both my wife and I have experienced a significant loss of appetite this week for no apparent reason. I'm just not hungry. Our appetites typically tend to be so strong. So I'm thoroughly puzzled as to why both her appetite and mine suddenly went south this week. I couldn't care less about food. A small yogurt is about as much as I want to eat for a meal. It's weird. I'm not feeling any other adverse health effects, and neither is my wife. Could something in the water be doing it? Are there good viruses? I just can't imagine why this is happening.

Could it be the current mild spell, i know when warm weather is upon us i eat less, and when i do it's "light" food like salad???

inobe
March 21st, 2009, 08:51 PM
it's not just physical, stress, depression, anxiety etc........

been there' done that !

the lack of nutrients will allow this to escalate..........

your best bet is to see a doc and request a b12 shot, because it sounds like a nutrient deficiency.......

common symptoms are loss of appetite

good luck

artilec
March 22nd, 2009, 01:03 AM
cheers guys! dodgey water was just a thought so obviously need to counter this with a dose of organic veg and a bottle of der rum i think!!

bhishan
March 22nd, 2009, 01:06 AM
By definition, viruses do not have to do something bad. An early (and current) virus researcher, Fred Cohen, has argued that good viruses are a serious possibility. In fact, he has offered a reward of $1,000 for the first clearly useful virus; but, he hasn't paid yet.

artilec
March 22nd, 2009, 01:12 AM
good for whom? the obese? what about the elderly, anorexics, pregnant mothers, athletes? or for the children told off for not eating their dinner?

sorry for the rant!

inobe
March 22nd, 2009, 02:33 AM
you can get a water test kit

http://www.google.com/search?q=water+test+kit&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=com.ubuntu:en-US:unofficial&client=firefox-a

as for parasites' you may want to have a water analysis test.

you can lookup testing labs in your area.

it will cost' but at least you can rule that out being the culprit.

best of health to you and your family :)

Mohamedzv2
March 22nd, 2009, 03:15 AM
virus engineered to attack only bad things in our body i haven't heard of a natural beneficial virus.
Viruses do attack viruses. Some cancers have reportedly attacked cancer cells and made cancer patients better, though they get that virus too.

RaZe42
March 22nd, 2009, 11:16 AM
Viruses do attack viruses. Some cancers have reportedly attacked cancer cells and made cancer patients better, though they get that virus too.

Cancer isn't caused by a virus.