PDA

View Full Version : Do you still compile software?

Grant A.
March 21st, 2009, 07:21 PM
With the advent of package managers and pre-compiled binaries, there really isn't much need to compile anything anymore unless you really want bleeding edge stuff. Anyways, do you still compile programs, even though you have a package manager?

Bachstelze
March 21st, 2009, 07:24 PM
Of course. There are tons of situations when you have to compile programs. You might want a version of a program that is not in the repositories, or the program might not even be there at all, you might be involved in the development of said program and need to always run the latest version, etc.

I do not compile all my programs from source, of curse, but quite a few of them.

OutOfReach
March 21st, 2009, 07:26 PM
very rarely now. but yes i still do.

binbash
March 21st, 2009, 07:29 PM
Of course i do, not all softwares are at the repos.Also i usually use svn version of most softwares.

t0p
March 21st, 2009, 07:40 PM
Do I compile? Yes, sometimes. It's not always possible to get a .deb. Most of my software comes from repos, through synaptic. But not all of it.

cmay
March 21st, 2009, 07:49 PM
no. i never compile anything else than my own small c programming examples.
i have compiled programs before but its a long time since i did that and i did it only to learn how to compile a program. all i need is in a little shellscript i call custom and when on a fresh install i run this to uninstall gnome-games and instll tbhe media codecs and some other programs i always install. so no compiling needed.

cardinals_fan
March 21st, 2009, 07:54 PM
Yes and no. Do I cd into a directory and ./configure && make && make install? No. Do I use Tazwok to cook my own packages from the source, either to modify the compile flags or because the software isn't in the repos? Absolutely.

jordilin
March 21st, 2009, 07:57 PM
Yes. One of those legendary mp3 players that I miss in Ubuntu repos for instance, XMMS, I download the sources and compiled it by hand :guitar:

blueshiftoverwatch
March 21st, 2009, 07:58 PM
I've compiled software once or twice but that was quite awhile ago. It's not something I'll do unless I have to. Most of the time the application I want to use is either in the repos or comes in deb package.

Nevon
March 21st, 2009, 08:01 PM
In my two-three years of using Linux, I've probably only compiled maybe... 20-25 applications. Usually because they're not in the repositories, but sometimes because the repo versions are severely outdated.

gn2
March 21st, 2009, 08:11 PM
Never compiled anything, not once ever. Never had the need to.

Skripka
March 21st, 2009, 08:15 PM
Yep. Although on Arch it is nicely automated via AUR and yaourt.

WatchingThePain
March 21st, 2009, 08:18 PM
Yes but only if it's the last resort.
Not that it's difficult normally.

adamlau
March 21st, 2009, 08:20 PM
Always. From GIMP to Pidgin to Firefox to Xfce, how else can you optimize and strip unused features out of an app to improve its load and response times?

Eisenwinter
March 21st, 2009, 08:20 PM
I use Arch with the testing repository enabled for Pacman, and I still compile some programs.

inobe
March 21st, 2009, 08:24 PM
haven't had to compile anything for at least a year...

seems that everything i do the apps are already in the repos

i had thoughts of compiling a few apps because they were newer' but only for the reason, the previous versions worked well enough to leave alone.

BGFG
March 21st, 2009, 08:29 PM
Always. From GIMP to Pidgin to Firefox to Xfce, how else can you optimize and strip unused features out of an app to improve its load and response times?

This is why I want to learn to compile. My current mplayer is compiled, but i was just following instructions. Anyone know any good links to compile and slim down Gnome ?

adamlau
March 21st, 2009, 08:38 PM
Mplayer is a great candidate for a custom build. Here are my options for r29023 (for use with SMPlayer):

./configure --disable-mencoder --disable-lirc --disable-xf86keysym --disable-tv --disable-pvr --disable-network --disable-smb --disable-ftp --disable-gif --disable-jpeg --disable-liblzo --disable-xanim --disable-tremor-internal --disable-speex --disable-theora --disable-faac --disable-libdv --disable-liba52-internal --disable-musepack --disable-libamr_nb --disable-libamr_wb --disable-vidix --disable-dga2 --disable-dga1 --disable-sdl --disable-aa --disable-v4l2 --disable-tga --disable-pnm --disable-md5sum --disable-yuv4mpeg --disable-mga --disable-vdpau --disable-fbdev --disable-ossaudio --disable-arts --disable-esd --disable-jack --disable-openal --disable-nas --prefix=/usr/local

Minimal deps (libmad, lame, xvidcore, x264) and weighs in at under 7 MB installed (not including the binary codec package). Slimming down GNOME is typically by way of trial and error since your requirements may differ from the requirements of others. ./configure --help is your friend.

Bachstelze
March 21st, 2009, 08:44 PM
Why all the --disable flags? I highly doubt all those features would be enables on a standard Ubuntu install.

Also, don't get your hopes too high about the performance gain of compiling. Most of the time, it is not noticeable, and is pure placebo effect.

adamlau
March 21st, 2009, 08:51 PM
Those options are required to disable what is enabled by default on my Arch workstation. I find that most of the time, the gains are noticeable, particularly when you optimize_and_strip your builds. Fewer relocations, fewer deps, increased likelihood of improved stability as a result.

bigbrovar
March 21st, 2009, 08:57 PM
As a sysadmin for a uni that run ubuntu on their systems .. i do get requests from Profs about some software there would need for their class few of which aren't available in the repos hence i have no option but to download and compile.. its usually a general PITA most times

Bachstelze
March 21st, 2009, 08:58 PM
Those options are required to disable what is enabled by default on my Arch workstation. I find that most of the time, the gains are noticeable, particularly when you optimize_and_strip your builds. Fewer relocations, fewer deps, increased likelihood of improved stability as a result.

They are not enabled "by default", they are enabled because they are installed on your system, so the mplayer configure script detected them and enabled them.

So you have things installed on your system that you don't need, since you're disabling them in mplayer. How stripped down and optimized is that! ;)

TalioGladius
March 21st, 2009, 09:05 PM
Only when the software I'm trying to install doesn't have an installer package.

mamamia88
March 21st, 2009, 09:12 PM
nothing i need to compile from source so far and hopefully i never have too

gnomeuser
March 21st, 2009, 09:13 PM
I am a packager, so I compile a lot of source code so that others might not have to.

sim-value
March 21st, 2009, 09:48 PM
Yes ...

I think also about switching too gentoo ...
(compile everything :D)

/me

RedSquirrel
March 21st, 2009, 10:04 PM
With the advent of package managers and pre-compiled binaries, there really isn't much need to compile anything anymore unless you really want bleeding edge stuff.

... or if you run dwm and you want to customize it. In that case, compiling is mandatory. ;)

I compile software daily using Gentoo's Portage.

On other distributions, I would compile a few select programs, usually to get the latest development code, but in some cases to enable options that the package maintainer decided to leave out.

Ozor Mox
March 21st, 2009, 10:04 PM
Only when the version in Synaptic is sufficiently out of date that I want to use a newer version. That is only ever really with games, because sometimes the versions in the package manager are not compatible with the newest versions and I can't play people online.

So very rarely is my answer.

MaxIBoy
March 21st, 2009, 11:46 PM
I compile software if there isn't an up-to-date prebuilt package available (from the repos or elsewhere.) Since I tend to use development releases a lot, this happens quite often.

I also compile some software specifically for the performance gain (especially the Linux kernel.)

Sealbhach
March 21st, 2009, 11:56 PM
.. its usually a general PITA most times

Yes, yes it is. I've only done a few for practice but if I had to compile everything I'd be saving up for a Mac.

Daisuke_Aramaki
March 22nd, 2009, 12:23 AM
I use Lunar and sorcerer predominantly, which are source based distributions. So the package management program takes care of configure make, make install automatically. when i need a program installed, i write a spell (sorcerer) or module (lunar) and cast the spell (sorcerer) or use lin (lunar) to install. This way i can set dependencies for the program and also optimization flags for the compilation. cast and lin take care of the compilations

inobe
March 22nd, 2009, 12:30 AM
I am a packager, so I compile a lot of source code so that others might not have to.

i created .rpm's in opensuse for backup purposes "checkinstall" ;)

edit: http://www.asic-linux.com.mx/~izto/checkinstall/

BGFG
March 22nd, 2009, 12:43 AM
I use Lunar and sorcerer predominantly, which are source based distributions. So the package management program takes care of configure make, make install automatically. when i need a program installed, i write a spell (sorcerer) or module (lunar) and cast the spell (sorcerer) or use lin (lunar) to install. This way i can set dependencies for the program and also optimization flags for the compilation. cast and lin take care of the compilations

Very Cool terminology :)

jimi_hendrix
March 22nd, 2009, 12:51 AM
yes

if i want a new version or i want a program and there is no .pkg.tar.gz available for pacman

ibutho
March 22nd, 2009, 12:59 AM
I don't compile as much as I used to do in the past, but I still build some packages from source, to customise them to my specific needs.

cardinals_fan
March 22nd, 2009, 01:19 AM
i created .rpm's in opensuse for backup purposes "checkinstall" ;)

edit: http://www.asic-linux.com.mx/~izto/checkinstall/
Try Tazwok on SliTaz. You'll wonder why nobody created this before...

ghindo
March 22nd, 2009, 01:31 AM
There's one program that I very much like but still (:() has not made it into the Ubuntu repos: Rubyripper. I have submitted a bug report, but it doesn't look like there will be any progress. So unless I want to become a MOTU, I compile from source.

oldos2er
March 22nd, 2009, 02:31 AM
I compile some apps because I enjoy learning about the process.

lisati
March 22nd, 2009, 02:33 AM
On the rare occasions that I compile stuff these days it's usually small-scale home-grown stuff. I think I've only compiled other software for use within Ubuntu once, maybe twice, to fix a problem that was solved when Intrepid was released.

EDIT: Just remembered one other occasion, so that I could potentially give feedback to another user of these forums on one of their projects.

inobe
March 22nd, 2009, 02:36 AM
Try Tazwok on SliTaz. You'll wonder why nobody created this before...

thanks you :)

i back stuff up on a daily basis, i appreciate this valuable information.

spupy
March 22nd, 2009, 03:30 AM
I use Gentoo, so installing a package means compiling it, but it is automatic.

Even if I wasn't using a source-based distro, there are programs that I always compile by hand. The reason is that I have some modified versions of them that I prefer to the vanilla versions - pidgin, liferea, leafpad, evince, file-roller, geany, transmission, synaptics driver, and some others. :)

cardinals_fan
March 22nd, 2009, 03:52 AM
thanks you :)

i back stuff up on a daily basis, i appreciate this valuable information.
No problem. How does it help you with backups (or do you mean backing up the fact in your mind)?

kk0sse54
March 22nd, 2009, 04:08 AM
Another Gentoo user here, yet even in my Arch install I compile everything through ABS as well as in NetBSD I generally compile everything through pkgsrc.

-grubby
March 22nd, 2009, 04:11 AM
I've only compiled something once, and it turns out that it was already in the repos.

PurposeOfReason
March 22nd, 2009, 04:15 AM
Just finished my first full gentoo installation, so yes. Even before that I used the ABS heavily with arch.

tubezninja
March 22nd, 2009, 04:17 AM
I compile whenever a software package isn't in the repos, or when the repo package is set up in such a way that it's unsutiable for the application.

Cases in point:

1. I had a developer who needed Amberfish (http://www.etymon.com/tr.html). Doesn't exist in the repos, so I compiled it.

2. Same developer had code that did not work well with the Suhosin Patch (http://www.hardened-php.net/suhosin/), which comes standard with the ubuntu repo version of LAMP. So I had to compile PHP myself for that use case.

adamlau
March 22nd, 2009, 07:10 AM
They are not enabled "by default", they are enabled because they are installed on your system, so the mplayer configure script detected them and enabled them.So you have things installed on your system that you don't need, since you're disabling them in mplayer...
Correct, but those auto detected deps are typically installed as part of other packages (often unnecessary due to how Arch devs handle them in vanilla builds). Disabling means no dep relocation required = potential for faster startup + fewer worries if the deps are buggy. Do what you may, some prefer to build for fun and profit and others don't...

jomiolto
March 22nd, 2009, 08:11 AM
I develop software myself, so obviously I do ;)

As for the software I merely use: sometimes I do compile it myself. There's this weird form of satisfaction I get from using software that I have compiled myself from the latest source...

JoshuaRL
March 22nd, 2009, 08:58 AM
I've only compiled a couple of times. If I ever get into maintaining packages, then I'll of course do that more. But I think that mainly compiling skips out on one of the biggest reasons I love Linux:

Repos

I'm just a "sudo aptitude update && sudo aptitude safe-upgrade" away from a fully updated and safe system. (Either that or Adept/Update Manager tells me I have updates available) I don't have to routinely go out searching for new versions to keep my system up to date and safe. Sure, some of my applications are a little behind the bleeding edge, but then again they're usually pretty bug-free too. And if I ever need a newer app or one that's not in the repos, I go looking for a PPA. Lately there's been a lot of those. Currently, other than the standard Ubuntu ones, I'm running repos for:

OO.o
Opera
Google Linux
Amarok 2
Medibuntu
Wine
Spring
Cairo Dock
e17 (from SVN)
SynCE
Kubuntu-Experimental (KDE 4.2)

And so far, everything works great. I pick my repos and applications carefully, and I have no issues. And I get the great new software I need, without all the compile time and with updates.

loell
March 22nd, 2009, 09:13 AM
I do packaging (none official).

so I compile occasionaly, or maybe not. since the compilation of packages doesn't happen on my machine, and does only on launchpad's remote compile farm.

K.Mandla
March 22nd, 2009, 09:40 AM
Yes, I still compile software and kernels. I find it's the best way to customize a package to my needs.

That being said, outside of Crux I usually don't compile things, unless it's from Arch's AUR. To me, part of the appeal of using Arch or Ubuntu is the fact that you don't have to compile anything. ... :|

The last time I compiled something in Ubuntu was ... I can barely remember. No, wait. I compiled a GTK1.2 version of Beaver late last year. ;)

Paqman
March 22nd, 2009, 11:52 AM
I used to when I was new to Linux, but don't any more. The advent of PPAs has pretty much removed the need to compile anything for Ubuntu.

Package managers are Linux's killer app, IMO. By circumventing your package manager you're breaking the dependency system, which doesn't appeal. If I find an app which is compile-only (which is extremely rare) then i'll keep looking until I find an alternative that offers a .deb or a repo.

RedSquirrel
March 22nd, 2009, 12:51 PM
Package managers are Linux's killer app, IMO. By circumventing your package manager you're breaking the dependency system, which doesn't appeal.

Wouldn't you tell your package manager what you've done? :)