PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] installing on a g3 imac with no cd rom

imtray
March 21st, 2009, 04:59 PM
Hello,

I'm trying to install xubuntu on an old imac g3 to use in a community center. Problem is, the cd-rom is broken (tray is kind of snapped).

I orginally did an install from the cd-rom, which was a pian but I eventually got it working. However, when it was finishing the install, it sat at "ejecting and unmounting the cd-rom" for half a day- I had to turn it off and now when the computer turns on, into goes to yaboot, and then freezes while it tries to start the kernal.

So I have a usb drive, and I used UNetbootin to put the newest xubuntu PPC image on it. Neither the imac nor Yaboot will let me boot from the USB drive, though.

So, can anyone help me get Xubuntu up and running on this thing? It would get a lot of use, for people to do resumes and apply for jbs, etc. Thanks!

pmhauge
March 21st, 2009, 05:26 PM
Does the iMac have Firewire? I know older G3's didn't have it, but some of the later ones did. I'm guessing it probably doesn't though if it is a tray-loading model. Have you tried plugging in an external USB CD drive?

imtray
March 21st, 2009, 09:02 PM
No, it doesn't have firewire.

I plugged in a USB cd drive and it worked- installed the whole way through. But the problem is still there, actually- yaboot kicks in, it starts to load the kernal and then freezes. Hmm.