PDA

View Full Version : WoW Trial...

wolfyking2
March 21st, 2009, 03:11 PM
Ok, so I decided I would try the trial, because i've never played the game before. Install went smooth, seems my card can handle the graphics, choosing the world is fine...but when I press 'New Character' it crashes. I got it to the char creation once, but when I clicked on the class 'rogue' it crashed. It was very specific, I had to do usa servers, shattered hell world, then it got to char creation, but it doesn't work anymore. Help!

wolfyking2
March 21st, 2009, 07:33 PM
nvm, fixed it, but the game was too laggy too play.

khelben1979
March 21st, 2009, 07:50 PM
What are the computer hardware you are using with WoW? Also, are you using native graphic drivers?

stimpack
March 21st, 2009, 08:13 PM
follow some of the guides about wow, WoW runs very nicely indeed.

hikaricore
March 21st, 2009, 08:24 PM
You're going to need a decent Nvidia or at the very least an ATI card to run WoW properly.
If you have an integrated intel "video" chipset you're likely out of luck.

Using Nvidia or ATI be sure you have the latest proprietary drivers installed and that you are running the game in OpenGL mode!

khelben1979
March 21st, 2009, 08:25 PM
Check this out: WoW Wiki (http://www.wowwiki.com/Wine).

wolfyking2
March 21st, 2009, 08:58 PM
Yess, I have an intel card, and am running the game in openGL.

hikaricore
March 21st, 2009, 09:22 PM
Yess, I have an intel card, and am running the game in openGL.

There's your problem, Intel is hit and miss with programs that require high end graphics under Linux.
Intel chipsets rely heavily on DirectX in the Windows environment and often have very lacking OpenGL support.
They share memory with the rest of the system so this is also an issue in some cases.
Some Intel users have luck running games in D3D mode (somehow) but this is strange because D3D mode is just converted to OpenGL via WINE, there is no real DirectX functionality under Linux.

Hope this explains things a little better. By all means keep trying things, but you may just want to get a real video card.