PDA

View Full Version : Built PC but blank screen....

kamitsukai
March 21st, 2009, 02:32 PM
I've just put all the parts of my new PC together, and it all turns on fine and fans turn ad everything but the screen is blank? no startup screen or bios nothing...my monitor just says no signal or something similar (also there's no beeps from the pc although this might just be because I haven't connected the internal speaker? lol)

Please Help!!!!;)

tuskenraider
March 21st, 2009, 02:47 PM
is your monitor hooked to your tower?? i know its a silly question.... but hey you gotta ask em..

also is it a graphics card or on board video? and if it is a graphics card is it new?? if not do you know for a fact that it works.

Also if it is new does it do dual video? if so is your monitor plugged into the correct video out?

just some trouble shooting questions.

Tusken

p.s if it is a graphics card...try the on board video if you have it...

let us know.

Bölvağur
March 21st, 2009, 02:52 PM
my brother complained about the same thing 3 days ago. took me 5 seconds to see that he forgot to connect it to the powersupply. So check if there are any plugins for powerlines (what are the correct words for this.. powercables? powerplugs... powerwire... electricity metal conducting wire)

kamitsukai
March 21st, 2009, 02:53 PM
Tried both onboard graphics and my nvidia card from the other pc the graphics has options for DVI and VGA but + HDMI but I only have a DVI cable...

kamitsukai
March 21st, 2009, 02:54 PM
my brother complained about the same thing 3 days ago. took me 5 seconds to see that he forgot to connect it to the powersupply. So check if there are any plugins for powerlines (what are the correct words for this.. powercables? powerplugs... powerwire... electricity metal conducting wire)

but there wouldnt be any extra power cables for onboard though would there?

hichamroudi
March 21st, 2009, 03:01 PM
Examine you Ram if you're using two sticks ..remove 1 and try booting pc with only 1 stick. I faced the same Problem as urs before.

zakany
March 21st, 2009, 03:54 PM
Does your MB have any on-board diagnostics? You know, LEDs (some even have a numerical display) that indicates faults. That could help troubleshooting.

Keep in mind your MB can be DOA. In fact, there's probably a 5% chance that any given component will arrive broken.

OutOfReach
March 21st, 2009, 05:30 PM
Yes does your motherboard have some kind of POST LED? That would be extremely helpful.

I had this problem when I was building mine. I RMA'd the motherboard and processor and it finally worked.

If you have another computer, try plugging the video card into that computer and test it to make sure that the video card is not the problem. I would also check the monitor with another computer too.

Skripka
March 21st, 2009, 05:39 PM
1st things 1st.

Check ALL, I repeat ALL-connectors-this includes but is not limited to CPU-power, ATX-24pin power connector. Wiggle them-make CERTAIN they are seated and click into place. Check ALL jumpers for CMOS and configuration and anything else. Go through your mainboard manual front to back, page by page, checking every step of configuration.

My brother built a new workstation tower and had the same symptoms-through a fit for 3 hours trying to make it work...I walked in and asked him about his connectors. What do you knw....the CPU power input was not fully seated.

It is unlikely, albeit possible for you to have a DOA mainboard or CPU. It is possible, but unlikely.

Also-did you make SURE to electrically ground yourself often throughout handling of parts?

kamitsukai
March 21st, 2009, 06:31 PM
Sorry I didn't reply straight away for some reason I couldn't login to the forums on my mums laptop just kept asking me to login continuously...

Anyway after my last post I looked around online and read something about some motherboards requiring an extra cable for power and so hunted round my motherboard and user manual and found a plug for another cable from the PSU and low and behold it worked!;)

Thanks everyone

Eisenwinter
March 21st, 2009, 06:39 PM
Now, post your specs :D

kamitsukai
March 21st, 2009, 07:46 PM
Now, post your specs :D

Your wish is my command =]

Asus M3N78-VM Motherboard
Nvidia Geforce 9600 GT
AMD Phenom II 940
Samsung 1TB Hard Drive
Sony Blue-ray reader

Although for some reason the Bios doesn't even see the Blue-Ray drive at all...? I think maybe one of the connections is loose but I'll check that out another days as it's not like I have anything to play in it LOL

Skripka
March 21st, 2009, 08:08 PM
Your wish is my command =]

Asus M3N78-VM Motherboard
Nvidia Geforce 9600 GT
AMD Phenom II 940
Samsung 1TB Hard Drive
Sony Blue-ray reader

Although for some reason the Bios doesn't even see the Blue-Ray drive at all...? I think maybe one of the connections is loose but I'll check that out another days as it's not like I have anything to play in it LOL

How good are the BIOS options on that sucker as far as tweaking the CPU goes? I presume it worked with your PhenomII out of the box without BIOS flashing?

I'm toying getting a PhenomII 940, and M3n78 is on my short list...although I'm leaning more to the M4A79 or M4A78 since it supports both AM2+ and AM3 with DDRII memory....my folks machine is long past it's prime and I could hand off my mainboard and CPU and they'd be amazed how much fast it would be ofer their PentiumII 700mHz machine on Win98...

kamitsukai
March 21st, 2009, 10:08 PM
How good are the BIOS options on that sucker as far as tweaking the CPU goes? I presume it worked with your PhenomII out of the box without BIOS flashing?

I'm toying getting a PhenomII 940, and M3n78 is on my short list...although I'm leaning more to the M4A79 or M4A78 since it supports both AM2+ and AM3 with DDRII memory....my folks machine is long past it's prime and I could hand off my mainboard and CPU and they'd be amazed how much fast it would be ofer their PentiumII 700mHz machine on Win98...

I'm afraid I haven't really done any tweaking as such to my bios as I'd f*** it up;) It did work off the bat with the Phenom CPU though which was good, although it didn't know what it was but it did work so after I'd installed ubuntu/vista I flashed it to the latest