PDA

View Full Version : [kde] Trying KDE and a little XFCE...

DaveG825
March 21st, 2009, 02:03 AM
I have a Ubuntu installation, but I decided to use the terminal to install the Kubuntu/KDE and Xubuntu/XFCE environments so I could play with them to see if I liked any of them better than GNOME. Looking at KDE, it seems to be nice looking, but it feels a little jerky and slower than GNOME and XFCE. Also, it doesn't seem to like Firefox or Pidgen with respect to how they look. I'm not sure there's something I can do to make KDE more smooth, or if that's just how it is. Any input on this subject would be great.

snova
March 21st, 2009, 02:11 AM
Looking at KDE, it seems to be nice looking, but it feels a little jerky and slower than GNOME and XFCE.

KDE tends to be a bit heavier...

Also, it doesn't seem to like Firefox or Pidgen with respect to how they look.

Open System Settings -> Appearance -> GTK Styles and Fonts

By default, GTK apps will use the Qt engine under KDE. I generally find it doesn't look too great, so try another one. It'll look a bit out of place though.

There is also a theme engine called QtCurve (for both KDE and GTK) which is supposed to help when you set both to use it.

DaveG825
March 21st, 2009, 02:16 AM
SO much better, thanks a ton!

KDE does simply seem to be a bit heavier, but wow I like it. I'll just turn some stuff down and such. Thanks again!!