PDA

View Full Version : [other] #! CrunchBang

Nokes
March 21st, 2009, 12:23 AM
Hey guys! I got a free Laptop today:

DataTrain Express DEX-120
CPU: Intel Pentium (150 mHZ)
RAM: 64 MB (after I update the BIOS)
Video: Cirrus Logic CL-GD Everest 7548 (1 MB)
Sound: OMG there is SOUND!!!
HDD: 4 GB

You can see why it was free, now does anyone think that i can get CrunchBang to work on this, if not, does anyone know what might?

cmay
March 21st, 2009, 12:29 AM
you cant have crunch bang running on this with only 64mb ram.
i would in case i was giving a computer with those specs i wouykld try see if i could use puppy linux or damn small linux and if not then free dos or minix . i had minix running on a very old computer wiht only 16 mb ram but minix is even that it is very light on ressurces not anywhere near suitable for actual use by others than hobbyist and students(programming ).

free dos could work but its not linux. it may be possible to find a small textbased distribution that can run on those specs.

mpsii
March 21st, 2009, 01:55 AM
Use the command-line installation option of the alternative install CD.

Then you can xorg and openbox all you wish. Good luck with it though, Pentium 150 is a bit below standards. You may wish to try Puppy, DSL, or plain debian.

Nokes
March 21st, 2009, 07:18 PM
puppy really has lower requirments than CrunchBang?, and DSL was my other choice. it won't boot any CDs is my other problem, how (besides getting a new computer) can i get it run?

cmay
March 21st, 2009, 11:03 PM
debian can be installed trough a boot floppy. but it is not something i would describe as easy judged by the small how to i seen on the debian home page. so can Freedos. and that is more easy than debian. if it needs to be linux that you install i think i would go for a minimal debian installtion as debian can run pretty well on even low specs. i admit that i never had debian running on anything that only had 64mb ram so i can not say if it runs xorg or not but i had a textbased install of debian sarge once on a computer with a 300 mzh and 125 mb ram.

mpsii
March 22nd, 2009, 12:15 AM
Do you have a floppy drive? Are there USB ports? Can you connect a CDROM drive?

Is there currently an operating system on the laptop?

Nokes
March 22nd, 2009, 12:50 AM
no floppy
no usb
There is CD
and it has Win 98

Edit: I did get DSL to boot, but the kernel paniced