PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Hiding Icons?

Guns90
March 20th, 2009, 11:45 PM
Here's something that I haven't been able to find anything even close to on a search. When you go into Places>Computer, you have all to these little icons showing all of your storage capabilities.

1. If you right-click on it, you get a drop-down that has 'Rename' on it, but if you try to rename it, you get another window that says you cannot because it is not supported by back-end. Is there any other way to rename it?

I ask this because I have three internal hard drives, one external hard drive, two CD-RW/DVD-RW drives, two Flash drives, a Memory Stick drive, a SD/MMC drive, and a Smart Media Drive. It would be nice to be able to easily identify each of these instead of having to look at the properties of each icon because some are identically displayed .

2. Additionally, when I installed another linux distro on sdc, the install created a boot/linux-swap partition using 8.4 GB of sdc and it also shows up as one of these icons as another storage capability. I will never use it for storage, so is there any way I can hide it?

Thanks. Gary

Chemical Imbalance
March 20th, 2009, 11:50 PM
You can edit the menus by right-clicking on the ubuntu logo on the taskbar and choose "edit menus"

you can change the icons and names by doing this