PDA

View Full Version : It's a dirty job.... but someone has to do it!

regonzal
March 20th, 2009, 10:25 PM
In light of all the current negative threads that appear to be going on as of late here, I felt it necessary to post something positive about Ubuntu.

Ubuntuforums.org is a place I find myself coming to for advice, for laughs, and for the camaraderie of belonging to an on-line community that pursues education in computing through GNU/Linux.

Prior to being introduced to Linux by my older brother I would have never imagined the amount of things I would learn about computing just by changing the OS I do the majority of my work on.

As many have stated countless times: it is a great feeling being able to teach yourself new things,solve problems, and when you are in need of help, someone here always has your back. This is what I feel is great about Linux in general and cannot be replicated elsewhere: The desire to learn new things and to help others along the way.

Community, in the very sense of the word.

kevin11951
March 20th, 2009, 10:56 PM
notice that you dont get replies, but negative posts do. ;)

Eisenwinter
March 20th, 2009, 10:56 PM
Of course. it's much more fun to flamewar.

mikewhatever
March 20th, 2009, 11:03 PM
Ubuntuforums.org is a place I find myself coming to for advice, for laughs, and for the camaraderie of belonging to an on-line community that pursues education in computing through GNU/Linux. desire to learn new things and to help others along the way.

With 19 posts in two year, it seemsyou don't come here too often.
There has alway been negative threads, not sure why you think they only appeared now.

kaixi
March 20th, 2009, 11:07 PM

That's because we completely agree with regonzal and have nothing else to add. ;)

jenkinbr
March 20th, 2009, 11:08 PM
Just because the OP has only 19 support posts does not mean they do not browse the forums annonamously, searching for, and recieving answers without the need to post.

I would have joined as early as April 07, had I not found the answer to a problem I had then.

All this flamewar/anti-ubuntu junk is just rediculous. If you don't like Ubuntu, or you have nothing nice to say about it, don't come here/join. After all, this is UbuntuForums.org, not ihateubuntu.com

Sealbhach
March 20th, 2009, 11:15 PM
I agree with the OP. That's all I'm prepared to say.

mikewhatever
March 20th, 2009, 11:19 PM
Just because the OP has only 19 support posts does not mean they do not browse the forums annonamously, searching for, and recieving answers without the need to post.

Quite true, one could browse anonymously, yet you might wanna reread the part I quoted again.

All this flamewar/anti-ubuntu junk is just rediculous. If you don't like Ubuntu, or you have nothing nice to say about it, don't come here/join. After all, this is UbuntuForums.org, not ihateubuntu.com

So you think people should only say nice things about Ubuntu or shut up. Why? Is it just because this is the Ubuntu forum? I think there is nothing wrong with some constructive criticism.

regonzal
March 20th, 2009, 11:19 PM
With 19 posts in two year, it seemsyou don't come here too often.
There has alway been negative threads, not sure why you think they only appeared now.

I realize that my low post count may be reflective of a lack of participation, however, I can hardly be blamed for having done a little bit of research prior to biding farewell my previous OS installation.

Yes, I am still learning.

I am aware these kinds of threads have existed and will continue to exist, I just have realized a spike in their occurrence this week and felt it a bit bothersome.

regonzal
March 20th, 2009, 11:22 PM
Quite true, one could browse anonymously, yet you might wanna reread the part I quoted again.

So you think people should only say nice things about Ubuntu or shut up. Why? Is it just because this is the Ubuntu forum? I think there is nothing wrong with some constructive criticism.

Criticism should be welcomed, when it is constructive. I don't believe much gets done in the fields of medicine and science if everyone is telling each other that their research or previous experience "sucks".

regonzal
March 20th, 2009, 11:26 PM

You're right lol. Well, not as many, but it's good to have discussions.