PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Second Life download for Linux Ubuntu, Help?

Snow Cone
March 20th, 2009, 09:39 PM
I don't get a lot of time with my father, we tend to not get along. I am a gamer nerd (RPGs and whatnot) and it is something he has always teased me for. Recently he started playing the game second life, and it is something we can do together. That is why I want to install it.

Also recently, my best friend discovered that I am completely computer stupid. I kept doing stupid things out of ignorance. So, she gave me wonderful Linux Ubuntu. The joy of this is that it is virtually impossible for me to mess anything up! The bad part is I am completely incapable of downloading anything.

I have looked up many walk throughs and they are all 'simple' and 'basic', as advertised, but I find nothing simple about them at all. They say things like go to /op and wiggle the squiggle with the voodoo man, pray to jesus and...ah for all sense it makes to me, I might as well be deaf dumb and blind.

So, my question is this. How do I, in as plain human as possible, how do I download and install, up to the point of being able to play, Second Life onto a Linux Ubuntu computer?

I apologize for any inconvenience describing the process to me will cause.

mikewhatever
March 20th, 2009, 10:51 PM
Given that no installation packages are provided for Linux at secondlife.com, the guides you refer to probably suggested compiling from source. Simple is a relative concept, and compiling from source is not quite simple for an inexperienced user.
The good news is, there is a pre-compiled package for Ubuntu.
http://www.getdeb.net/release/3124

Just download the package to your desktop and click on it. After entering the password, it will start downloading the viewer from the home site. There is no progress bar, so just wait.