PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Open Office hangup

Antlong
March 20th, 2009, 09:16 PM
Hello all,

A shiny new Asus X58L with Ubuntu 8.10. I'm a dinosaur, our tech support son is pre-occupied elsewhere.

Typing into an OO document, suddenly it's hung up. It _says_ it's part-way through a save but she swears that she's not instructed that or done anything untoward. The cursor can be moved but nothing can be clicked, selected, pressed, including the side menu panels. I've unplugged the USB mouse and keyboard that were in use.

On the Debian/Gnome desktop I'd hope to call up a text console in the first instance, is that possible with Ubuntu?

It's not been _too_ long since the previous save but it's a complicated piece! I'm trying to put off a power-down in case it's part-saved over the previous save...

Regards Ant

Kellemora
March 20th, 2009, 10:07 PM
Hi Ant

Sounds like the autosave feature is turned on.

In some cases it's OK, but in our case we leave it turned off, just for the same problems you are experiencing.

We draw a file from the file server and the auto save will try to save it back to the file server, which is set up as a no can do operation.
Rather than giving an error message, it just hangs, saying it's saving the file, but never does.

There are more than just a few bugs or aggravations in the OOoWriter programs File handling area.

TTUL
Gary

Antlong
March 20th, 2009, 10:13 PM
Thankyou Gary,

She'll enjoy typing it all in again! These things aren't here for our convenience, are they...

Regards Ant

Bölvağur
March 20th, 2009, 11:21 PM
...nothing can be clicked, selected, pressed, including the side menu panels.
Is side menu panels part of open office or something else? if it is something else then this might be a bigger problem.

On the Debian/Gnome desktop I'd hope to call up a text console in the first instance, is that possible with Ubuntu?
It's normally set to ctrl+t
or Applications → Accessories → Terminal
or Alt+f2 and write gnome-terminal
or ctrl+alt+f3 (ctrl+atl+f7 to get back form it)

It's not been _too_ long since the previous save but it's a complicated piece! I'm trying to put off a power-down in case it's part-saved over the previous save...

I would assume it takes backups so if ooo crashes you can open it up again without loosing much data at all... well that is my experience.

I could imagine that if you had no storage space on the place where it is supposed to be saved, it wouldnt be able to save and thus make ooo hang. so please check if you have any free space left and free up some of you have less than 50 mb left

Antlong
March 21st, 2009, 09:41 PM
Hello all,

The menu bars are part of the general set-up, not OO so obviously this is a more general freeze.

Autosave was on (not now!) and it had saved but for some reason hadn't quite finished the procedure, presumably. I eventually turned it all off and on again and all was well, nothing actually lost except some more hair colouration!

There's plenty of disc space.

I'll investigate ctrl-t etc when I can get to it - meanwhile thankyou for all the help!

Regards Ant