PDA

View Full Version : What have you overcome to get Ubuntu installed and working?

aysiu
December 30th, 2005, 01:08 PM
Another one of my "just curious" polls...

I wanted to add more options, but 10 is the max. I'm also curious if anyone has most stuff working but just uses Ubuntu anyway.

For my computer, Ubuntu was good with everything out-of-the-box... except screen resolution. I popped a couple of lines into my /etc/X11/xorg.conf file, and it's all good now.

kahping
December 30th, 2005, 01:21 PM
My sound card was recognised, but i had to enable the sound in alsamixer. Other than that, everything works out of the box! :-D

Nomearod
December 30th, 2005, 01:26 PM
One of my wireless card wan't detected, but after install ndiwrapper it worked without any problem.

Other problem, was the USB disks. Everytime I deleted a file it wans't deleted but moved to a folder called .trash in the USB disk. But I add the command to delete it in Nautilus and everything worked.

The definition of my screen wasn't very good, but after install ATI drivers everything worked fine.

Other problem, was with Unreal Tournament 2004. This game should run without problems in Linux, but it doens't work with me... I installed 4 or more times but it never worked... The only way was to install the demo and it worked, but the full game doesn't...

Sgood1971
December 30th, 2005, 01:27 PM
The only problem I had (Still have) is any game I launch on my laptop (Intel I810 graphics) will only run @ 800x600. There is a large black box around the game window. But, since I do not game a lot, I use it this way and enjoy my Ubuntu. It's certainly not a show stopper.

rjwood
December 30th, 2005, 01:34 PM
never have gotten my cd/dvd writer working. My kids computer with xp is used for that. Even my ubuntu iso's have to be bruned on that one. If I was permitted to install ubuntu on that computer, I would probably try harder. cd's/dvd's play ok though.

Pablo_Escobar
December 30th, 2005, 01:35 PM
Out of the box, just the usual -> graphic drivers (3D ATI - repo way), fstab etc setup.
But that is what every Linux user should read about and get to know.

GeneralZod
December 30th, 2005, 01:37 PM
I have virtually nothing to do hardware-wise on my desktop and laptop (so I voted EWSOOTB!), but my mum's T22 needed a lot of fiddling around to get perfect hibernate and resume. It's still flaky even now :/

ember
December 30th, 2005, 01:40 PM
I had sound problems initially, most were related to flash-plugin and mplayer-plugin. I solved most of them (sound in flash still doesn't work properly, so I just reverted to the state were there was none).
I also had some problems with video playback, which I solved by installing totem-xine.

The really disturbing issue was that Ubuntu didn't like to installed on my harddisk first and I needed to resize the end of my root partition to a cylinder below 100GB to get it working. It took me like half a day to figure that out.

encompass
December 30th, 2005, 01:43 PM
My RTL8180 didn't work right away, but with a wuick look in the forums I had it fixed. I did however, just get a webcam and it is not working. But optherwise, very nice. Every aspect of the my laptop has been working pretty good. I don't suspend, and I guess they doesn't work. But I don't care. ;)

lotusleaf
December 30th, 2005, 01:50 PM
initial limit of 60 Hz in Refresh Rate for certain monitors following installs. I wish Ubuntu had something like sax2 (http://www.novell.com/products/linuxpackages/professional/sax2.html) ( SuSE advanced X Window System-configuration).

Edit: Perhaps sax2 for Ubuntu could be considered? After all, yast4debian (http://yast4debian.alioth.debian.org/) is in development. ;)

hamstu
December 30th, 2005, 05:23 PM
Maybe this doesn't count, but I couldn't get GRUB to start initially. (Grub Error 21)

A quick google search found the solution (small BIOS change) and I was set.

Danielle
December 30th, 2005, 05:25 PM
i had to fix my PPPoE Speedtouch modem and i still/did have to run a script to start it and one to stop it. however, today when i booted i noticed that my FW was taking hits so i didn't run the script and just started Opera and it worked!!?? i'm not sure what happened, i have played around with it abit but i really don't know why it has started to work without my noticing properly.

i had to tell my floppy drive to mount/unmount its drive too, and which format it is.

mudguts
December 30th, 2005, 05:37 PM
I was pretty lucky that it worked out of the box, even the sound which I had an issue with on my Mandrake 10 install. Though I do have a friend who is having trouble with his internet connection but I think that's more on the routers end then with ubuntu. So far, it's pretty sweet. I like it.
It makes the p4 1.7 256mb (Rambus - ugh) work well. Though games are still choppy on it due to memory constraints.
I didn't know that there were so many applications for it. I'll be sure to reinstall it on a new box when I build it.
keep up the good work guys!!!

deNoobius
December 30th, 2005, 05:41 PM
Everything that you listed in the poll worked fine. For me, getting the printer to work was a real bear. And not a cute one like a panda.

YopY
December 30th, 2005, 08:24 PM
Mm, most stuff works out-of-the-box with me right now, except for my webcam but I hardly use that one anymore anyways. I could go look for a solution for that one, but I'm too lazy. For the rest, I haven't had problems with hardware not working. Although I do have some hardware problems, like my computer freezing beyond repair (yes, Linux never freezing is a myth) due to 3D screensavers. Other than that... well, the resolution was way too high for my personal taste, I want to read websites without having to lean over and squint at my screen.

ubuntu_demon
December 31st, 2005, 12:41 PM
Canon S300 took a tiny bit of time in breezy. During warty/hoary I installed my printer as a cannon S200.

I couldn't get the resolution right in breezy so I googled a bit and now I have it installed as a BJC-8200 300x300 dpi. I haven't spend more time on it. I just want to be able to print text documents and I can do that right now so I'm happy.

RaiSuli
December 31st, 2005, 06:37 PM
Had some sound problems at first and it took me some time (and some help) to get my Windows partitions properly mounted. Other than that, no complaints!

chimera
December 31st, 2005, 06:40 PM
-I had to learn how to PROPERLY burn an .iso to a CD, wasting 4 blank CD-Rs in the process
-I had to plug the speakers->soundcard cable in the green plug(in windows, it was in the red plug)

and that's about it:)

jc87
December 31st, 2005, 07:01 PM
My computer used to be both to me and my older sister use , during that time i could only experience gnu/linux with live-cds , as soon as i got the computer to myself i installed Ubuntu right away.

And my ATI 3d acceleration still don't work so i use wintendo partition to play games.

But hey Ubuntu works , as that is what matters.

ldavey
January 7th, 2006, 12:31 PM
My sound card didnt appear to work but turned out i just needed to unmute/enable it using alsamixer.

My Epson all in one printer/scanner does not work 100%, the printer works but not scanner.

As for my laptop, only problem was my PCMCIA wireless card... i just went and brought a cheap new one after getting advice... all in all linux is great !

Gowator
January 7th, 2006, 12:43 PM
initial limit of 60 Hz in Refresh Rate for certain monitors following installs. I wish Ubuntu had something like sax2 (http://www.novell.com/products/linuxpackages/professional/sax2.html) ( SuSE advanced X Window System-configuration).

Edit: Perhaps sax2 for Ubuntu could be considered? After all, yast4debian (http://yast4debian.alioth.debian.org/) is in development. ;)
What's wrong with vi ???

Much better than using proprietry crap like Sax or YaST ....
Suse might actually be a decent distro if you could get rid of YaST and SAX...

poofyhairguy
January 7th, 2006, 01:54 PM
never have gotten my cd/dvd writer working. My kids computer with xp is used for that. Even my ubuntu iso's have to be bruned on that one. If I was permitted to install ubuntu on that computer, I would probably try harder. cd's/dvd's play ok though.

Get K3B. Never worked for me till K3B.

matthew
January 7th, 2006, 05:11 PM
I really only had to work to get my Palm to sync. Everything else worked out of the box.

By way of disclaimer, I will confess that I did do some configuration to use wpa encryption with my wireless card (ipw2200) and I did install the 3D drivers for my ATI card, however both worked fine out of the box, I just wanted extra functionality.

lotusleaf
January 7th, 2006, 05:53 PM
What's wrong with vi ???

Much better than using proprietry crap like Sax or YaST ....
Suse might actually be a decent distro if you could get rid of YaST and SAX...

I love vi, but not everyone uses it. The same question could be asked for a lot of useful GUIs, why not use vi for everything? :rolleyes:
YaST was open sourced (http://linux.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/03/19/0052214&tid=143&tid=117), btw, welcome to 2004. :) Plus, did you notice I linked directly to a page where people are working on YaST for Debian? :???: In case you missed it: yast4debian (http://yast4debian.alioth.debian.org/)

I and many others find Sax to be a very useful tool. It's also quicker to use Sax than it is to manually edit a file, perhaps even after having to hunt down a manual or Google for settings. I feel it would be a brilliant addition to Ubuntu Linux, and vi would still exist for you (and others) who prefer to use it for such things. I've read a lot of posts all over the web from people with such issues, and I feel Sax would quickly and easily solve such problems without having to edit by hand if they didn't want to. I can't count how many resolution/refresh rate issues I've solved quickly when setting up Linux for people just by using Sax2.

David Olivier
January 7th, 2006, 06:41 PM
The problem I'm still at is Java. Command-line Java programs seem to work fine, but all those that have a GUI abort with strange exceptions. (Strange, because they are often NullPointerException's or other RuntimeException's, which normally should indicate bugs at some level.)

Apart from that, I had difficulty understanding where to find the software that the update manager is supposed to manage. At first it said all was up to date; and it didn't know about the stuff that I was supposed to be able to get it to install. I finally discovered that I had to tell it (I don't remember exactly where, and I can't access the computer right now) to manage other software than the basics. That allowed me to download some stuff so as to be able at least to listen to mp3 files!

I also had an unpleasant experience with 1. downloading Firefox 1.5; 2. finding it didn't work for lack of some .so.5; 3. finding a .so by that name, but version 6 rather than 5; 4. thinking I could get away with linking that version ....so.6 to ....so.5; 5. finding that I couldn't get away with it; 6. falling back on Firefox 1.0, a bit baffled that Firefox wouldn't work on a bona fide version of Linux!

Now despite these negative points, I am rather enthusiastic about Ubuntu. I have been a long-time Macintosh user at home and at work, for desktop applications; and at work a unix command-line user and Java developer. I wanted to bring the two worlds together. I installed Ubuntu on a computer at work, and have worked on it / used it for three days; I have found it convincing enough to have made me decide to switch to Ubuntu at home. So this afternoon I ordered a new PC to replace my iMac!

nsa_767
January 7th, 2006, 06:47 PM
When I installled Ubuntu Hoary all worked right out of the box, but Breezy.... Ended switching to Fedora Core 3... Looking forward to dapper

biguns
January 7th, 2006, 09:52 PM
Everything, and I mean EVERYTHING just worked.

iand675@gmail.com
January 7th, 2006, 10:12 PM
Well it's kind of odd. I have several pc's built from the same parts with the same bios settings, and the same cd's and everytime i install something new goes wrong with it.

Gowator
January 8th, 2006, 10:43 AM
I love vi, but not everyone uses it. The same question could be asked for a lot of useful GUIs, why not use vi for everything? :rolleyes:
YaST was open sourced (http://linux.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/03/19/0052214&tid=143&tid=117), btw, welcome to 2004. :) Plus, did you notice I linked directly to a page where people are working on YaST for Debian? :???: In case you missed it: yast4debian (http://yast4debian.alioth.debian.org/)

I and many others find Sax to be a very useful tool. It's also quicker to use Sax than it is to manually edit a file, perhaps even after having to hunt down a manual or Google for settings. I feel it would be a brilliant addition to Ubuntu Linux, and vi would still exist for you (and others) who prefer to use it for such things. I've read a lot of posts all over the web from people with such issues, and I feel Sax would quickly and easily solve such problems without having to edit by hand if they didn't want to. I can't count how many resolution/refresh rate issues I've solved quickly when setting up Linux for people just by using Sax2.

The problem I had with suse was every config file carried a warning that if you edited it by hand it might not work in YaST/Sax2 . and Suse also prevented other config utils from running properly under Suse like webmin.

I tried uninstalling YaST but it just broke the install hence the OS is not a real linux OS if you can't get rid of something as useless as a package manager.
So far as I am concerned Suse is trying to get to be like Windows with a central registry and anything that can't be done from the provided tools considered a dirty hack! They even use XML for some config files instead of plain text! I don't really consider Suse a *nix variant anymore it is just a rip-off of the linux kernel for Windowifying and in many ways even non linux OS's like *DSB are more linuxlike than Suse.

Its like a reverse Jaguar X-series which has a Ford Mondeo chassis with Jaguar coachwork ... this is like a Jag-chassis with Mondeo coachwork.
The Chassis is fine but its not going to perform properly if the drive chain is mondeo and the gear box is Mondeo etc. There is nothing wrong specifically with a Mondeo btw but its not in the same class as a real Jag... hence suse for me is a weird distro that is trying to be like the popular OS Windows but is built on a solid foundation Linux ...

Opensourcing YaST was the worst thing Suse ever did. YaST is EVIL it is a proprierty tool and should NOT EXIST & and porting it to Debian is not only a waste of time but will hurt Debian because people will start using it and it will fsck their sytems like it does in suse when you try and mix 'n' match it with other tools and CLI. The MCC is exactly the reason I stopped using Mandrivel. Because it is EVIL....

Don't get me wrong Im not such a CLI junkie that vi is my favorite tool for configurig everything BUT I reserve the right to use it or Webmin etc. as and when I want without #WARNING .. Do not edit this file by hand on the files.

Debian mentality is different the files say
#warning this file is created by XXXXX
# If you edit this file and wish to restore it then <do this>
# If you edit it and wish to preserve it during an upgrade <do this>

Suse mentaility is:
Do not edit this file or it might not work and we are not interested in your problem if you decide to go this route!!!!

To me the primary tool for any utility is the one provided by the utility even when it is a crap tool!
So if its CUPS its the HTML based config tool and if its samba its SWAT.
If a config tool damages the config file so that these do not work it is INVALID ... and should be trashed .. no questions ... it is simply respecting the developers of the tool!

If you try and use the Kununtu printer management stuff its broken .. if yuou try and add browsing and change the settings on the printing manager it breaks so that you can't start the daemon ... Therefore this tool should be removed because it is not compatible with the config tool used by the Cups config! However this is at least optional in Ubuntu :D

In Suse the offending application is YaST and this cannot to my knowledge be removed from Suse ...

Imagine you had a business and you had Suse qualified engineer or sysad ... You are trapped with Suse because all they know what do do is in YaST.... this then has complications for other boxes .. say you need RedHat boxes because a software vendor only supports RH ... but your sysad only knows YaST..... you will get problems with getting them to change to RH just like today many GUI dependent Windows admins are against Linux .... not for technical reasons but because they don't know how to admin it!

Gowator
January 8th, 2006, 10:50 AM
Apart from that, I had difficulty understanding where to find the software that the update manager is supposed to manage. At first it said all was up to date; and it didn't know about the stuff that I was supposed to be able to get it to install. I finally discovered that I had to tell it (I don't remember exactly where, and I can't access the computer right now) to manage other software than the basics. That allowed me to download some stuff so as to be able at least to listen to mp3 files!

This seems to be some kind of weird secret in Ubuntu (and to an extend Debian as well) at least the instructions to find this are not where I expected them to be .... When I used Mandrake this was the #1 noobie question and all noobies were directed to the plf sources from the mandrivausers site... whereas here it seems like some weird initiation rite where users are left to discover the 'secret' sources all alone as some sort of test/amusement ...??

I see dozens of threads about MP3 ripping or DVD watching etc. but noonne ever tells them the sources just beats around the bush ... and the sources thread specifically does not allow posting of 'non-officially supported' sources leaving nowhere on the forum to discuss them,.

poofyhairguy
January 8th, 2006, 11:35 AM
This seems to be some kind of weird secret in Ubuntu (and to an extend Debian as well) at least the instructions to find this are not where I expected them to be .... When I used Mandrake this was the #1 noobie question and all noobies were directed to the plf sources from the mandrivausers site... whereas here it seems like some weird initiation rite where users are left to discover the 'secret' sources all alone as some sort of test/amusement ...??

I see dozens of threads about MP3 ripping or DVD watching etc. but noonne ever tells them the sources just beats around the bush ... and the sources thread specifically does not allow posting of 'non-officially supported' sources leaving nowhere on the forum to discuss them,.

The doc site linking in my sig is great for that stuff.

beercz
January 8th, 2006, 11:53 AM
Power managment issues on my laptop - still not resolved. I've filed a bug:

http://bugzilla.ubuntu.com/show_bug.cgi?id=16863

Everything else is fine.

gravediggers
January 8th, 2006, 12:13 PM
Last thing was sound on my Ubuntu box which is a tired old PII MMX with a Sound Blaster AWE64! I got it working a few days ago thanks to a couple of threads on various sites. If any one need to see what was needed the link is:
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=111902

Gowator
January 8th, 2006, 01:42 PM
The doc site linking in my sig is great for that stuff.
Wow lots of great stuff.
I don't understand though why this is not in the README install. Adding sources for legally questionable packages should be the second thing to do after an install because otherwise half of the needed packages for a home user are missing. As I remember even synaptic isn't installed by default .. so somewhere should be a page of the first 10 things to do when installing Ubuntu.

The only problem with automatix is it is not installed by default and the root password set (which is the absolute first thing anyone should do after a fresh install certainly before browsing the web with a browser owned by the same person who has ALL:ALL in the sudoers.)

However the main problem is the toolkit is incomplete until the rest of the sources are installed. If tyhey are installed its simple to help someone by getting them to install a CLI utility etc. so you can paste exact stuff for them whereas before all the sources are installed its hit and miss if the utility you need is in universe or multiverse etc.

I guess its somethig like an inside joke for Debian and Ubuntu to leave users thrashing about after an install without the necassary tools and my sense of humor just doesn't work that way. A bit like looking up the rules for Mornington Cresent :D all the threads here allude to secret sources and sources.list's but noone ever posts one and the sources thread specifically bans them?

Zonkle
January 8th, 2006, 01:47 PM
My Laptop's Internal Modem :( .. and still didn't work.

TimelessRogue
January 8th, 2006, 02:40 PM
Both Hoary and Breezy work from the get-go on both my 5 year old HP Pavilion n5000 laptop and my Built-From-Scratch desktop of similar vintage ... including Linksys wireless and DSL on both. The only tweaks have been to suit me but not 'cause I had to to get something working ... it's been great! And fun!

Oh, and I've now gone 100-percent Ubuntu ... have put ******* 2k Pro in the closet ...

Iandefor
January 8th, 2006, 07:31 PM
Sound didn't work out of the box, but it was no problem to get it up and running. The folks at Realtek included a handy script called "install" which did ll the installation for me. Oh, and I've been cursed with bad discs by some irate god, so I had a hell of a time getting Ubuntu installed (I found that I could get a complete server installation, but a desktop installation wouldn't work).

broodijzer
January 8th, 2006, 10:38 PM
my first cd was corrupted I think. After 4 broken installations (got stuck on the last part of the installation) I re downloaded the file and everything worked :D

PatrickMay16
January 8th, 2006, 10:43 PM
It took some reading of guides and editing config files to get MIDI working in Ubuntu. This was at the time when it was less than a week after installing Ubuntu, so I was quite new. It was kind of intimidating at the time, but I managed it.
Everything else worked perfectly.

Minyaliel
January 8th, 2006, 10:48 PM
MP3's and MIDI's almost drove me mad, I couldn't view DVD's, neither would quicktime work, and I could just forget about listening to live online radio. In gnome, I still have problems with the two last ones. In KDE, which I use now, it's only the live streams. All my hardware was recognized (wee!) and everything worked.

majikstreet
January 9th, 2006, 02:25 AM
video(integrated gfx card), internet (wireless), and printing (had to get a printer first, and do very minimal configuration).. the video was hard, i had to do some fiddling with xorg.conf on hoary, but when i upgraded to breezy i had to sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg and it worked! wireless i am experienced with so was very easy. printer with cups web config was easy.

Gowator
January 9th, 2006, 12:53 PM
MP3's and MIDI's almost drove me mad, I couldn't view DVD's, neither would quicktime work, and I could just forget about listening to live online radio. In gnome, I still have problems with the two last ones. In KDE, which I use now, it's only the live streams. All my hardware was recognized (wee!) and everything worked.
I use streamtuner which works fine though if you are behind a firewall needs tweaking

Gowator
January 9th, 2006, 12:54 PM
printer with cups web config was easy.

Is the Ubuntu cupsd.conf still broken in Dapper?

robinl
February 3rd, 2006, 01:58 AM
Display Driver (Nvidia official ones, not apt-get) and GRUB working with my Win XP, otherwise works straight out of the box. My WinXP however is having more trouble. Not regonising much of my components and refusing every single installshield program to be installed. Irony eh?

Sheinar
February 3rd, 2006, 02:38 AM
Absolutely nothing. Everything I needed just worked straight away.

ardchoille
February 3rd, 2006, 02:51 AM
The only thing I wasn't happy with was the initial screen resolution, it was stuck at 640x480 with no other choices. However, due to these awesome forums and the Ubuntu wiki, this problem was quickly and easily solved. Other than that, this is the best distro I have ever used out of the 14 that I have tried.

eriqk
February 3rd, 2006, 03:49 AM
Got myself a new laptop the other day (well, new for me- I've never owned a laptop before. It was actually made in... '98? ). It's a Tecra 8000.
I had to jump through several hoops to get X up and running. These forums once again proved their value.
XDM wouldn't do a thing no matter what I tried, so I installed GDM, which is slightly too heavy for the poor machine. After some xorg.conf editing and dpkg-reconfiguring xserver-xorg I finally had a functioning Fluxbox.
NTP still does nothing (probably not a big problem, still have to fix it though) and I'm not sure I'll get sound.

Groet, Erik

YourSurrogateGod
February 3rd, 2006, 03:58 AM
Ubuntu worked fine for me straight out of the box, it's just that when I start fiddling with it (and I can't help myself) that stuff breaks...

byen
February 3rd, 2006, 04:20 AM
To be really honest... Ubuntu and these forums have a lot to do with how I became a full-time (well..almost) Linux user.. I tried other distributions but I had major problems with them detecting my monitor, graphics card and my Broadcom's Wifi card. I know it is the hardware makers to blame but being a noob.. I had no idea how to get around and thats was when someone mentioned Ubuntu! On install..My monitor got recognized giving me its optimal resolution and one of the how-to's showed me how to get my wifi card working. My Ati Radeon 7500 still needs to get 3d acceleration but I can live with that.
Other than this, everything worked and I have never looked back! Ubuntu now has my /home and I dont see it changing anytime soon! But I have to say this...though Ubuntu is really easy to use/setup and use.. it would be nowhere close to where it is.. if not for these forums!! Thanks to you guys here... everytime I startup I get to say Umm...Ubuntu! :-)

isaacf
February 3rd, 2006, 05:55 AM
With Ubuntu everything worked, including my mice (both laptop touchpad and USB optical) that many other distros have had problems with. I also didn't have a printer of palm device so that was easy. Out of all the distributions I've tried, Ubunut has really shined in terms of hardware detection.

cvcaelen
February 3rd, 2006, 08:20 AM
I must say I find myself a lucky guy:
everything worked well straight out of the box.
the minor problems I've got were with wine(got nothing to do with Ubuntu)

i've installed ubuntu 5.10 on 2 diffrent PC's and 1 laptop and all hardware was detected.

Christiaan

GreyFox503
February 3rd, 2006, 08:36 AM
Everything I had worked out of the box. The only real hurdle was during the installation of the graphics card drivers (Nvidia). It set my monitor at the wrong refresh rate (too high) which required an edit of the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file.

Sp@z
February 3rd, 2006, 09:05 AM
Everything worked out of the box for me, my biggest issue is the nvidia drivers, after installing them my computer sometimes refuses to shut down. Everything else I borked myself, just being me and pushing buttons that prolly didn't need pushed!

uberlaff
February 7th, 2006, 02:47 PM
almost everything worked right out of the box. Drivers and everything except Suspend to RAM. I'm still trying to get the sleep functionality working on my laptop. Its not that bad but it does get annoying.

Also, Nvidia drivers didn't load on my desktop... but nothing that Automatix couldn't handle ;)

Ricardo Cruz
July 30th, 2006, 09:01 AM
The problem I had with suse was every config file carried a warning that if you edited it by hand it might not work in YaST/Sax2 .

That is true for SaX2 (not part of Yast, that edits /etc/X11/xorg.conf), but Yast file editing should be robust enough to only read and change parts of a config file, as well as adding them as necessary. Yast applications access files abstractly through a data structures that the platform provides.
That being said, Yast does have its problems, though it seems a bit unfair to put it on the same league as MCC. The way MCC edits files is quite odd and it even seems to re-generate them at startup disabling user changes.
I have added some Yast information in this thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=223386).

I find it strange the argument that setup tools make people dumb (which could be argued as using an editor and reading some manual is not really that hard, people just don't like it), but even if true, I don't see what's so bad about it. Not everyone likes and wants to be a system administrator, and these tools are only optional. Isn't Ubuntu about the desktop btw?

leev
July 30th, 2006, 09:07 AM
My only real problem was with my nVidia video card. That was to be expected though. But the solution was simple and straight forward. All thanks to the Ubuntu community.
Everything else, including my printer and scanner, worked flawlessly.

FISHERMAN
July 30th, 2006, 10:01 AM
I started Ubuntu with the Hoary Hedgehog.
And the only thing that didn't work out of the box was the internet.
But after trying&searching a bit I managed to get it working.

But with Breezy and Dapper everything works out of the box.

ishimaru_kaito
July 30th, 2006, 11:26 AM
On my desktop - I started with a 6.06 install, most worked. Plugged in a wireless card and that worked on next boot! I had to get my NVidia card working, and also my sound card died so I've had to resort to the onboard sound. Trying to change that was fun...

On my laptop - the little navigation panel between my trackpad button 'still' doesn't work, but everything else is recognised. Any ideas?

See attached. It's recognised as a synaptics touchpad. But that's it.

Also - had to get wireless working, 2 wireless cards later, a BT card does the trick!

AndyCooll
July 30th, 2006, 02:04 PM
I have four boxes (one of which I use as a file server) and I'm currently playing with 3 laptops (of the fairly aged variety) Pretty much everything has worked out of the box.

On the boxes, Dapper now even recognises my Belkin wireless dongle though I usually have to configure it. A couple of minutes work. I do sometimes have to play with the graphics cards. Most are ati and though they work fine, I use XDMCP and for some reason they don't seem to handle this very well. However, once again a minor job.

The only problem I've had with the laptops has been with the pcmcia cards. They laptops don't come with wireless or even a normal ethernet link. The first pcmcia card I tried didn't work. Anyway, I got hold of another one and that worked straight away. Since then I've added wireless and even that has been recognised out of the box (as usual, just needs configuring).

So all in all, only a few minor issues.

:cool:

Dinerty
July 30th, 2006, 02:06 PM
On my other system I had a problem getting my 2 external firewire hdd to work, in the end I had to use GParted Live, once that was done, everything was fine

MaximB
July 30th, 2006, 02:44 PM
I jad the usual problem
my ATI radeon 9800 needed to be configureted properly
and my adsl problems
1.needed to "know" the command "sudo pppoe"
2.my dns address kept reseting itself until I made it read only.

so far no other problems found.
but I didn't checked it all yet.

CronoDekar
July 30th, 2006, 05:29 PM
I selected video and printer, but really, they were minor problems. For video, my default was 1024x768, for which I just had to do a quick reconfiguration of Xorg so it'd do 1280x1024. My printing problem took me a little longer (cut off at bottom of page), but eventually I found that the letter type was for some reason set to A4 rather than letter, so going into the CUPS webadmin (I've always had problems getting the GNOME manager to work right) I was able to change it to the right one.

Most of my real problems have been in trying to figure how to change the config files to get other processes to work, namely Samba and apt-proxy. Though I did have some minor initial struggles with Opera too, and getting MPlayer to work in it.

kop316
July 30th, 2006, 05:53 PM
I had to go out and purchase a new modem (had a covaxent winmodem), and the new modem worked perfectly.

The only other problem I had was that I had an MTP Creative Zen Sleek, so I had to wait about 6 months until the support was written. Still have to complie that from source.

Where can I file a request to update Gnomad2 in the repos?

Rhapsody
July 30th, 2006, 06:02 PM
I needed drivers for my ADSL connection (which will likely be changing again soon, joy) and my mouse is still only half-recognized (still usable though and hardly unexpected since the 'Supermouse' needed drivers even under Windows).

wilberfan
July 30th, 2006, 06:50 PM
Well, I had the problem where I had internet connectivity when I ran Ubuntu from the Live CD mode--but not after I installed

And I had the "crazy mouse" problem with my KVM switch!

This is only day 2--keep your fingers crossed!

ComplexNumber
July 30th, 2006, 07:16 PM
the only that didn't work for me initially was wifi. howver, i now know that is was the order that i was doing things. i have had to juggle about the partitions, and this has led to medoing a few reinstallations. it now takes minutes to get wifi up and running by doing the following:
-installing network manager and wifi-radar (i don't know which one it is that is essential)
-installing ndiswrapper and kmod-ndiswrapper
-installing the wifi windows drivers
-switching on the 'network manager' and 'named' services, and ensuring that wpa-supplicant service is switched off
-adding the line '/usr/sbin/modprobe ndiswrapper' to /etc/rc.d/rc.local
-typing in 'modprobe ndiswrapper' into the command line. after the dialogue asking for my password appears, enjoying wifi.

oh, and this above refers to fedora core 5, not ubuntu.

agger
July 30th, 2006, 10:34 PM
Ubuntu refused to display properly on the old 800x600 15" monitor I first tried. It got the splash screen right, but upon starting the X server (gdm), the screen went blank and emitted a truly horrible screech.

Solution? Put it up with an old 17" screen which can do 1024x768 instead. Kindof annoying problem - that the X server can really fail so horribly and make the monitor screech, I mean. But now it works :-)

I also had to do a floppy install, as there's no CD-ROM drive on the machine I'm using - see the results here:

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=213278

apart from that, everything works fine (there's no sound card, so I don't have any problems with sound).

ishimaru_kaito
August 8th, 2006, 05:32 PM
Update - just changed motherboard to an Epox 4PDA+ and a Matrox G450 graphics card - reinstalled Ubuntu (to be on the safe side), edited xorg.conf for dual screen - voila! But why can't I use opngl? None of the tips n tricks listed on the forums work for me. :confused: I would love to play Armagetron and view some nice screensavers!!! All the new devices worked fresh from the install. :D

geokok1981
August 12th, 2006, 03:50 PM
I had problems with ny laptop (clevo m400) in three areas:

1.Screen resolution-->solved after installing ati's drivers from
restricted repo.

2.Card reader-->My laptop has a crad reader on board for MMC and SD cards. In windows it was activated by installing the PCMCIA drivers. Since I don't own any PCMCIA cards though, I don't know if either of them works.

3.Laptop wont shut down properly. After it says "System will now halt" it just freezes there, which is really annoying.

spiffytech
August 14th, 2006, 02:37 AM
The video on my Dell Inspiron e1405/640m didn't work at all out of the box. Eventually, I got it working, but I still don't have 3D working.

jimrz
August 14th, 2006, 05:20 AM
On my homebuilt desktop everything (yes, even printer/scanner/usb2 card reader + exteral hdd's and my mp3 player [recognised as ext usb drive]) detected and worked "out of the box".

On my ThinkPad T42 it's almost as good. No big issues. Wish there were better drivers for the ATI Radeon 9600 that would give descent 3D acceleration, but that fault lies with ATI not Dapper and I do not use this machine for gaming so 'tis no big deal. Other than that, Suspend/Hibernate is a bit flakey and how they act seems to change with each kernel update (currently Suspend does work though screen goes kind of funky till I get logged back into Gnome and do not know where it is with Hibernate since I have not tried except once after installing back in June and it did not work---I have never used this function much anyway so.....)

Only real problem (and is the same on both machines) is with synching my old Handspring Visor, gpilot will do it (sometimes) but also sometimes makes more mess than it is worth. So, I finally gave up, cleaned up the mess and quit using it. Kind of a pain to keep Evolution current, but eventually one of the pilot apps will get to a usable point <fingers-crossed>

GuitarHero
August 14th, 2006, 06:04 AM
Video(big one), internet(big one, gave up and bought a 100ft ethernet cable), and sound(still havnt got compeltely working)

FyreBrand
September 25th, 2006, 02:11 AM
I saw this linked from another thread by aysiu. When I first installed Linux (RedHat about 2 years ago) and even my first Ubuntu install (about a year ago) I couldn't get my modem working. In fact it doesn't work to this day. I have an Intel Winmodem with outdated drivers that Intel would never upgrade or open the source for to allow upgrading. I blame Intel and the winmodem for that though.

I was stuck in Windows because I needed internet connection. When DSL came to our area and we got to upgrade I got a 2Wire ethernet/wireless gateway. I reinstalled Ubuntu as soon as Dapper was released. It worked 100% out of the box and quite smartly I would add.

The most difficult ventures have been home networking with Samba and learning wine to install some old games I own.

What makes this distribution unique to my Linux success is the community and being able to find answers as I learn how to do things the Linux way.

edit: Oh to play games I had to learn how to install ATI's proprietary drivers or the games would crash. Not really an issue to me.

missmoondog
September 25th, 2006, 02:18 AM
had to vote for video being my only problem, which i shouldn't of had any issues with. both machines i had problems with were just simple old onboard intel chipsets. that is so old, there should NEVER be an issue with again!

just installed zenwalh 3.0 (http://users.zenwalk.org/) on those same 2 machines this morning. no issues whatsoever. everything worked straight out of the box. kernel updates, flash update and k3b update didn't screw up my machines either, like the last few for ubuntu have.

yatt
September 25th, 2006, 04:52 AM
Kernel Arguements, Ubuntu is the only distro that needs them to boot.

Adding vga=795 to the defoptions in grub's menu.list It is quite annoying that if you specify vga=795 during the install, you have to re-add it.

And fix the art.

ekuliak
September 25th, 2006, 05:35 AM
For me the first thing was screen resolution. When I got my new 19" widescreen LCD, I had to edit xorg.conf again, but that isn't very difficult and is quite quick to do.

The second issue, and one I still have, is that only one program will get sound at a time. I believe it is some sort of mixing problem. I havn't been able to get software mixing to work, and I only realized a few weeks ago that the newer Sound Blaster Live! (Sound Blaster Live! 24-bit) doesn't have hardware mixing, though the older one does. ](*,) So that kind of irritated me. I may end up buying a new soundcard, but it isn't bothering me too much since I usually only have one program running that needs sound or none at all.

Skye
September 25th, 2006, 05:36 AM
On which computer?

On my Desktop-
Getting X to properly display my dual-screen setup was difficult, but not impossible, but it certainly didn't do it out of the box.

On my Laptop-
Getting wireless to work correctly involved passing some obscure parameters to the kernel on boot (pci=assign-busses, for the curious) because my cardbus bus wasn't being seen.
Getting video acceleration with a radeon x200m was difficult as well.

Overall, I've been lucky- nothing I can't fix myself or without searching the forums or asking a few questions.

Kateikyoushi
September 25th, 2006, 11:56 AM
Nothing just to set up scim and change alsamixer on my notebook, desktop worked out of the box.

JAwuku
September 25th, 2006, 01:14 PM
I had to compile the kernel module for my Sitecom WL-113 wireless USB Adaptor.

stuh84
September 25th, 2006, 01:57 PM
For me it was just the wireless. Linuxant sorted that, couldn't for the life of me get it working with Ndiswrapper (although there must be a way as Linuxant uses Ndiswrapper). A couple of days before the trial licence is over I'll have another crack at it, see if I can get it working.

Couldn't get them working in Suse or Mandrake, only Ubuntu and Kubuntu work fine with the wireless, so I'm sticking with them :) (and will probably drop Kubuntu as soon as we don't have a download limit and just get KDE for my Ubuntu install)

thesmartace
September 25th, 2006, 02:30 PM
The only thing I kind of had to overcome was a sound problem. On my laptop sound worked right out of the box. On my desktop sound didn't work at all. After a bit of playing around it now works fine.

I can't think of anything else that didn't just work...

bensexson
September 25th, 2006, 02:45 PM
My replies are for Warty. In Dapper everything that can work except for my bcm4306 wireless worked out of the box. My built in card reader does not work but it could if TI would release the firmware.

shrimphead
September 25th, 2006, 02:55 PM
everything cool with me, except for proprietary video drivers for 3d stuff, but that's obvious.

skymt
September 25th, 2006, 03:34 PM
Almost everything Just Worked for me. The only problem I had was with my printer, which isn't supported at all under any version of Linux. I wound up making a hack that sends print jobs through my Mac.

Previous versions of Ubuntu have had serious problems with my CD/DVD drives, but Dapper solved them.

Garyu
September 25th, 2006, 03:55 PM
On my computer:
Sound works, but I have to work with alsamixer for a while to enable 5.1 sound.
Logitech Quickcam Express took a while to configure in Breezy. Haven't tried it in Dapper.
Citizen Printiva 600c isn't working yet.

My parent's computer:
HP Scanjet 5100c was impossible to get to work in Breezy. In dapper it works, but it took a lot of effort to get there.
ADSL internet really unstable. Solved it by setting up a router that holds DHCP config.

My friend's computer:
PPP with winmodem (connexant type) was very difficult to get up and running. And now, for no apparent reason, she tells me it stopped working... Haven't had a chance to look at it yet, but she is not the kind of user who messes up configurations.

jcrnan
September 25th, 2006, 04:07 PM
Well, external disk and card reader still doesnt work on this one. Other then that everything pretty much worked out of the box, no real problems.

On another machine I had to use ndiswrapper rather painfully to get wireless card working.

On my third pc I had to update nvidia drivers.

All in all much less then with windows ^^

Beamvr6
September 25th, 2006, 04:13 PM
Started installation yesterday and have a very workable Ubuntu now! Main issue was setting the refresh rate for the screen. Managed to do this with all the info on the forum but I needed the most comprehensive solution in the end.

Some smaller issues were Flash impossible in Firefox, solution is to use Swiftfox instead. And I had the change the boot sequence from one HD to the other.

What I hope to complete in the coming weeks is making all Winapps (mainly games) for which there is no 1 on 1 equivalent in Linux work using Wine or Cedega. If successfull it's goodbye to Redmond! :)

siiib
September 25th, 2006, 08:09 PM
acer aspire 1680 laptop.. everything straight out of the box :KS except usb tv card.. now working.. after some tweaking.. suspicious about acpi effectiveness.. psu gets a bit too hot for my liking

acer aspire 1522 laptop.. everything ok except usb tv again.. but wireless won't work at all (ipn2220).. ](*,) no native driver and won't work under ndiswrapper.. amount of traffic suggests common problem.. don't post suggested solutions.. have acquired 'out of box' solution.. bin it and get another off ebay.. ten quid.8)

>Suse might actually be a decent distro if you could get rid of YaST and SAX...
couldn't agree more mate..:-#

oskarloko
October 2nd, 2006, 02:27 PM
Just a minor problem was screen resolution...

But wireless networking and specially WPA, can be a nigthmare.
So, wifi behaviour must be more flexible ( maybe gnome networking tool with WPA implemented ) if Ubuntu want to have a change on laptops..

dca
October 2nd, 2006, 07:14 PM
On the laptop listed below, everything including the Intel ProWireless 2200B/G card worked right out of the box. I mean everything. Completely impressed, other debatables: Fedora has always req'd some kind of display tweaking to get 1024x768. openSuSE no longer offers the WiFi card drivers so tweaking req'd, plus printing issue(s), and other problems I've forgotten about... The only other distro that comes close is SimplyMEPIS but now that has Ubuntu under the hood so I guess it no longer qualifies....

K.Mandla
October 2nd, 2006, 07:17 PM
You name it, I've fought it. In fact, I think I've come across everything except bluetooth and SD cards.

On the other hand, for every stumbling block I've found, six times as many things worked without any effort. It all depended on the machine and the hardware inside.

My biggest frustrations have always been wireless and video -- Broadcom and ATI.

maniacmusician
October 3rd, 2006, 01:18 AM
same here. though i got my wireless working a long time ago with ndiswrapper. installing drivers with ndiswrapper is the one thing i'm an expert at now lol; i had to do it over about 30-50 times.

ATI, im still having problems with. its ridiculous.

Seàn1
November 9th, 2006, 09:52 PM
Sabayon is the _only_ FLOSS distro (IOW Linux kernel or otherwise) I've tried that ever got my resolution properly. However, I recall the refresh still needing some tweaking in xorg.conf. Seems silly there's still no GUI way in most any distros I've tried to establish a manual res / refresh.

I've also never seen hibernate or suspend work on any distro. With many machines, it just puts garbage to the screen upon resume (if I'm fortunate enough to get it to "successfully" hibernate / sleep in the first place). That's a real shame since I'm not used to ever turning my computer off. Sleep usually, and hibernate if the power is going off for some reason.

Networking, while I still contend you should be prompted upon first install, was a breeze to setup once I poked around the menus a few minutes to acquaint myself with this new OS and found the Networking and Network Tools apps to make life easy. Once found, those tools are far better than what's included with Micro$uck XP though the OS X way seems quite user friendly yet BSD enough for the nerds to get some work done too.

Welp, I thought I'd share that. Neat poll idea aysiu!

kuja
November 9th, 2006, 10:02 PM
Asides from the Refresh rate of the monitor(was at 60Hz instead of 75Hz), everything was good for me.

atasaRossios
December 19th, 2006, 06:18 PM
I have an Acer Aspire 5680
My onboard camera is not seen at all from ubuntu.
And also the mmc -sd card reader which is attached to the laptop.
Hibernation is not working too.
I have asked here in the forums for similar problems but no voice
has been heard yet.

Malta paul
December 19th, 2006, 07:35 PM
Ran live 6.10 CD, then install to a empty partition on my HD. It just ran as it should do, and still dose. :D