PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installation problems 8.10 on a Q6600 Gigabyte P965

RSiN
March 20th, 2009, 06:57 PM
Ok, so everytime I try to run the live cd for ubuntu 8.10 I get all the way up to where it says "Loading, Please Wait..." then it sits there for about 5 minutes. Then it spams a bunch of stuff that looks like functions and their returning addresses.

Then it says something like:

[ 405.872028 ] -- [ end trace 498469a30988810a ]

Ideally I'd like to install ubuntu, I use it on my older pc with little or no problems. These forums have been a huge help for me. For some reason tho, I just can't this to install on here. I really want to use it on here with a dual boot with my existing Windows XP.

I'm not sure what all specs you guys might need so I'll list as much as I can. Any help here is greatly appreciated! :D

Q6600
Gigabyte 965 chipset
1 SATA hdd (master, where I want to boot from eventually)
1 IDE hdd
1 dvdr/rw (ide I think?)
8800gt oc
4gb ddr2 (ocz)

RSiN
March 20th, 2009, 08:25 PM
I'm currently downloading the alternate installation disc. Hopefully this will work. I'd really prefer to try the live-cd first tho.

If anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear them!

RSiN
March 20th, 2009, 09:55 PM
I've now tried both cd's with no luck.

Both say there's errors. I've burned them multiple times, at the lowest speed I can (10x), and I had my dad burn it on his pc at his lowest speed. Same errors.

I tried testing the md5 checksums but they're fine on both iso's. So now I'm really lost as to why it keeps happening.

I've tried different burning apps, different burners. Always the same results. If I didn't love Ubuntu so much I'd seriously just give up right now.

Anyone have any ideas????

RSiN
March 20th, 2009, 10:58 PM
Alright, after much searching I found a post with pretty much the same problem as me, and almost identical specs.

I tested the disc on my dads pc, and magically no errors!

So just like the other post says, I suspect it's just my burner that's not compatible...

I'm going to try swapping it out for my old dvd-rom and see if that helps.

RSiN
March 21st, 2009, 02:52 AM
Well, I'm posting from my new Ubuntu install. :D

Swapped the LG dvd burner for my old dvd-rom, ran the test and found no errors. Installed first try like a charm :)