PDA

View Full Version : does this download start for you?

Danielle
December 30th, 2005, 12:51 PM
EDIT i'm not sure about the site now they have popups as well as God knows what? i didn't realise because of the software i have. :( sorry. if you have been to the site with Firefox you can delete any cookies you may have got by Edit>Preferences>Privacy>click on Cookies>Exceptions you can go through the list and select anything from skinbase either skinbase.org or www .skinbase.org (without the space) should do it "Remove Site" NOT "Remove All Sites" will get rid of the cookies from that site if you had them enabled. sorry again

if you are worried i suppose you could clear your java cache too. you should only do this if you are sure you don't have any important java files stored there. this is for Sun Java

find out which version of java you have

java -version
then put the version into this, or maybe it will work anyway, and run it

sh /usr/lib/j2re1.5-sun/bin/ControlPanel
when the control panel pops up you can delete files. i've asked a question about it in the What has been your spyware experience? (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=109278) thread so maybe wait and see what an expert says.

:( /end of edit.

hi i want to download a wallpaper from skinbase, i think i got the link to it from gnome-look, but maybe not.

the first wallpaper i tried to download worked, but this second one won't. can you tell me if it starts for you before i start disabling/enabling http filters, cookies etc? thanks

I've removed the link

i've just been clicking on the picture.

Lovechild
December 30th, 2005, 12:55 PM
Well, that caused Firefox to hang.. wonderful how stable this 1.5 release has turned out for them.. really.. I'm so impressed.

Danielle
December 30th, 2005, 01:21 PM
Well, that caused Firefox to hang.. wonderful how stable this 1.5 release has turned out for them.. really.. I'm so impressed.
sorry! i'm using firefox atm just to see if it would download but 1.0.7. i noramlly use Opera. it's only crashed once since i started using it, i didn't like it in the past but i tried it thinking "i'll give it a week instead of the usual 10 mins" anyway i really like it. sorry your browser crashed, Lovechild.

i wonder if they let you download one wallpaper then not allow the second?

kahping
December 30th, 2005, 01:26 PM
Doesn't seem to work here. I'm using Firefox 1.0.7.

Looks like i just get redirected to the site's main page when i click on the wallpaper. Is this the problem you're getting, Danielle?

Danielle
December 30th, 2005, 01:33 PM
Doesn't seem to work here. I'm using Firefox 1.0.7.

Looks like i just get redirected to the site's main page when i click on the wallpaper. Is this the problem you're getting, Danielle?
yeap, that's where i end up :( i hope the site's OK to use and they're not trying to install something hoping we're using IE/windows.

zorglub
December 30th, 2005, 01:33 PM
No way.... first 3 popups...then redirected to the main page too :confused:

Danielle
December 30th, 2005, 01:37 PM
i just tried a couple of others and they load OK so maybe it's just that wallpaper, it could be because it's new and hasn't been give a place yet.

Danielle
December 30th, 2005, 01:39 PM
No way.... first 3 popups...then redirected to the main page too :confused:
oh no, sorry! i didn't realise there were popups too. sorry, zorglub. maybe i was wrong about getting the link from gnome-look. i'll go and edit the first post.

zorglub
December 30th, 2005, 01:49 PM
No problem Danielle....popups are just boring but not lethal ;)

BTW....they told me (in french) that I have a spyware alert and proposed me to scan my puter for free .....lollllll
It seems that they don't realize that I'm a 100% M$ free user :cool:

Danielle
December 30th, 2005, 02:03 PM
hi, i've just edited the first post to show how to get rid of any cookies you might have got from the site. the worst thing which could have happened is they put a tracking cookie on your PC. i don't think you can have a drive-by installs with Linux so that should be it. although what about a java driveby install if someone's using an old version?

hi, zorglub i still feel quite bad though. maybe i should ask in the spyware thread about it. i don't know very much about Linux systems. i'd like to know about tracking cookies while i've thought about them. i disallow cookies to all sites by default, maybe abit paranoid lol

bonzodog
December 30th, 2005, 04:32 PM
lol....I love that danielle.
"Drive-by Installs"....

Danielle
December 30th, 2005, 04:58 PM
lol....I love that danielle.
"Drive-by Installs"....
no, really they are true. have you heard about strider honey monkeys? (http://research.microsoft.com/HoneyMonkey/) now that's funny. i know a podcast (http://www.grc.com/sn/SN-002.htm) were the host laughs every time he says it, i don't think he even realizes