PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Uninstalling Catalyst drivers

vsen123
March 20th, 2009, 01:35 PM
Hi,
I installed Catalyst 9.1 manually using the wiki: http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubuntu_Hardy_Installation_Guide#Method_1:_Install_ the_driver_the_Ubuntu_Way
I want to switch to the latest 9.3 driver or give the new open source drivers a try.How do I uninstall the Catalyst 9.1 drivers(when they are installed manually by .deb packages??).

Mark Phelps
March 20th, 2009, 09:22 PM
IF you installed using the script, you will have the file fglrx-uninstall.sh for uninstalling the ATI drivers.

To do that, run "sudo sh /usr/share/ati/fglrx-uninstall.sh" in a terminal.

When done, run "fglrxinfo" from a terminal and it should say it's not installed.

BTW, I didn't see the Catalyst 9.3 drivers for Linux; the drivers page only showed the drivers for Windows at 9.3. The linux drivers were still shown at 9.2.

Also, be aware that if you're running a R300 or R500 series card, you're wasting your time upgrading because AMD is ending support in the proprietry drivers for those cards with version 9.2. Version 9.3 will only support R600, R700 series and newer.

ssri
March 21st, 2009, 12:48 PM
IF you installed using the script, you will have the file fglrx-uninstall.sh for uninstalling the ATI drivers.

To do that, run "sudo sh /usr/share/ati/fglrx-uninstall.sh" in a terminal.

When done, run "fglrxinfo" from a terminal and it should say it's not installed.

BTW, I didn't see the Catalyst 9.3 drivers for Linux; the drivers page only showed the drivers for Windows at 9.3. The linux drivers were still shown at 9.2.

Also, be aware that if you're running a R300 or R500 series card, you're wasting your time upgrading because AMD is ending support in the proprietry drivers for those cards with version 9.2. Version 9.3 will only support R600, R700 series and newer.

Wrong, Catalyst 9.4 will be the first release to drop legacy support for R300/400/500 cards.

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=amd_r500_legacy&num=1