PDA

View Full Version : Free as in Freedom - The Symmetry

simtaalo
March 20th, 2009, 12:45 PM
i've just finished working on a track which has been created using samples sent to me by Richard Stallman.

The track itself is licensed under the Creative Commons - Attribution Non-Commercial Share Alike.

Its titled "Free as in freedom" for obvious reason ;)

the track was created using LMMS as the main program with mhWaveEdit+Kwave also being used for chopping samples.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/12lf77

I hope you enjoy, please spread the track around to promote our cause

Hells_Dark
March 20th, 2009, 12:56 PM
cyberfunky :)

simtaalo
March 20th, 2009, 01:01 PM
glad you like, i think it was funny to make richard stallmans voice so digitised, i've made him part of the computer ;)

Eisenwinter
March 20th, 2009, 02:20 PM
Dude, awesome track. :P

simtaalo
March 20th, 2009, 03:44 PM
Dude, awesome track. :P

thank you kindly.

i can't code (yet) so this is how i contribute.

for anyone that is interested i would be happy for anyone to remix this as long as it stays within the creative commons license i.e you remix it and only distribute non-commercially under the same license.

Eisenwinter
March 20th, 2009, 03:54 PM
You can send me the samples and I'll make a track out of them too.

And as far as license goes, I don't even "license" the tracks I make. I just put them on the internet for anyone to grab and listen to, or remix, or whatever they want to do with it.

simtaalo
March 20th, 2009, 03:57 PM
i used to do that, but now my production is getting somewhere i don't want people to capitalise on something i've done, but i'm more than happy to share.

to me the creative commons license seems the logical thing to do, if i'd written a program i'd put in under GPL but i wrote a song so i put it under creative commons.

i'd be happy to send you samples but only if you promise not to use cubase LOL ;)

Eisenwinter
March 20th, 2009, 04:01 PM
i'd be happy to send you samples but only if you promise not to use cubase LOL ;)
Oh well.

I use Cubase for any music composition, but I see your point.

In fact, it will make me a hypocrite, to produce a track about FREE software, in a closed-source, proprietary application.

EDIT:
To hell with it, I'm getting LMMS. Upload the samples somewhere as a bzip2 or gzip archives and give me the link, once I got it I'll tell you to delete the link.

simtaalo
March 21st, 2009, 05:25 PM
Oh well.

I use Cubase for any music composition, but I see your point.

In fact, it will make me a hypocrite, to produce a track about FREE software, in a closed-source, proprietary application.

EDIT:
To hell with it, I'm getting LMMS. Upload the samples somewhere as a bzip2 or gzip archives and give me the link, once I got it I'll tell you to delete the link.

i'll make you a sample pack with instructions where to put it, so i can probably just give you the whole project file which would make it alot easier for you to remix.

Eisenwinter
March 21st, 2009, 05:35 PM
Yeah, that'd be cool. Thanks.

simtaalo
April 7th, 2009, 06:54 PM
sample pack plus lmms project file for the track, in case anyone wants to do a remix :)
http://www.sendspace.com/file/tkxvv5

liamnixon
April 7th, 2009, 07:39 PM
That's pretty cool! Reminds me a bit of PFFR.

I just downloaded the samples. I'll fiddle with them some, though I don't have LMMS (Ardour instead).

Keep up the good work. :guitar:

simtaalo
April 7th, 2009, 09:31 PM
who are PFFR?

thanks for the compliment, have fun remixing it :)

Peasantoid
April 7th, 2009, 09:40 PM
Funkeh!

liamnixon
April 8th, 2009, 08:49 PM
These guys (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PFFR). 'United We Doth' is a really good album of theirs. They also created the shows Xavier: Renegade Angel and Wonder Showzen.

simtaalo
April 8th, 2009, 09:51 PM
thanks for the link

Chronon
April 9th, 2009, 06:39 PM
You can send me the samples and I'll make a track out of them too.

And as far as license goes, I don't even "license" the tracks I make. I just put them on the internet for anyone to grab and listen to, or remix, or whatever they want to do with it.

Unless you clearly release your work to the public domain there's an implicit copyright on it. If you want other people to be able to use it you should use a permissive license (or say that it's in the public domain). Also, if you use materials with a share-alike license then your derivative has to be licensed under the same terms. You may view this as troublesome at first, but it's a way to ensure the rights of future users, just like the GPL.

simtaalo
April 29th, 2009, 06:16 PM
"free as in freedom" played on episode 16 of open source musician podcast http://opensourcemusician.libsyn.com/