PDA

View Full Version : Newb nano question

Shmook
March 20th, 2009, 11:56 AM
What language is the default in nano?

I'm trying to show myself around python, and am checking out a tutorial -- it said any editor would work and I figured for now I'd keep it simple and use nano. I've encountered an error that I think is really simple -- that nano doesn't use python. Is this right?

And if I'm checking out python what editor should I use; or do you just use the in-terminal program that starts after the "python" command. Thanks

Anthon
March 20th, 2009, 12:01 PM
I am not sure if nano uses python or if you can start python from nano on the currect editing buffer (like emacs can).

The in-terminal program is the python interpreter and has only limited editing facilities.

If you want to edit a file with nano I suggest you save it e.g. as abc.py on your desktop, then open a terminal (you can leave nano open) and run
python ~/Deskstop/abc.py
to test the program.

aeiah
March 20th, 2009, 12:46 PM
i program my python bits and pieces in scite (http://www.scintilla.org/SciTE.html). its no better than old school solutions like vim or emacs or newer text editors, but it is available for linux and windows so i can have a familiar text editor at work and at home. hitting F5 runs the script in a frame at the side or bottom. has text highlighting for python, bash, java, html etc

Tek-E
March 20th, 2009, 05:08 PM

I'm trying to show myself around python, and am checking out a tutorial -- it said any editor would work and I figured for now I'd keep it simple and use nano. I've encountered an error that I think is really simple -- that nano doesn't use python. Is this right?

And if I'm checking out python what editor should I use; or do you just use the in-terminal program that starts after the "python" command. Thanks

Sadly you cant execute a python script inside nano.

abhilashm86
March 20th, 2009, 05:46 PM

if u want to program python, big programs have indentation stuff and hard to handle, so use eclipse (http://www.eclipse.org/). After installing eclipse then follow guide to install pydev. So you can easily program in pyhton.

wmcbrine
March 20th, 2009, 08:22 PM
I'm not sure I understand the question. Default language? Um... English? :D

I use nano to write Python programs, but I just do it like this:

nano file.py
[edit; save; exit]
python file.py

If nano has the ability to launch a Python interpreter directly -- or any other language's interpreter or compiler -- I am unaware of it.

And yes, use the interactive interpreter when you want to play around or test some ideas. But you can't edit or save anything from there.

Shmook
March 21st, 2009, 12:11 PM
I'm not sure I understand the question. Default language? Um... English? :D

Heh, right I think I get it now -- any editor can be used, since your just putting in code -- the only difference is what you save it as or what program you use to run it?

I was under the assumption that some editors only understand or recognize a certain language -- or automatically saved a file to be run using C.

Like I said -- newb here

So eclipse and scite, eh? I'll check those out. I do look forward to learning to use vim better but one step at a time. Thanks!

Shmook
March 21st, 2009, 12:21 PM
Ah! so I see both eclipse and scint are IDEs. Is this what I should look for...basically, for now, I want to understand code and programming better so will just be going through tutorials and such.

And, so, to be clear, nano is strictly a text editor, not an IDE.

Shoulda posted this in AbsoluteBeginners forum I know...