PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] reposition panel items

bkummel
March 20th, 2009, 11:23 AM
Hi,

I attached ane external monitor to my laptop a while ago and I had to lower the screen resolution. When I disconnected the external monitor and reset the resolution to the optimal resolution for my laptop screen, some items on the Gnome panel were moved, and I cannot get them back in their old positions. For example the workspace switcher was on the lower panel in the rightmost corner, and now it is somewhere right of the center, but not in the corner. I tried removing it and then adding it again, but that doesn't reset the position. The same goes for the time display.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

I use Ubuntu 8.04 LTS, with all the latest updates.

Best regards,
Bart Kummel

mcduck
March 20th, 2009, 11:36 AM
Just drag the applets where you want them (either with middle mouse button dragging, or by right-clicking the applet and selecting "Move").

If some applet refuses to move, right-click it and make sure "Lock To Panel" is disabled. Same applies if you can't move an applet past other one, make sure both are unlocked.

bkummel
March 20th, 2009, 11:45 AM
If it were that simple, I didn't ask the question here. The time applet and the panel with the shutdown/logoff button are not movable. The 'move' option in the context menu is greyed out...

mcduck
March 20th, 2009, 12:11 PM
If it were that simple, I didn't ask the question here. The time applet and the panel with the shutdown/logoff button are not movable. The 'move' option in the context menu is greyed out...

Deselect the "Locked To Panel" from the applet's right-click menu.

Or do you mean that you have already deselected it, but the "Move"-option is still grayed out?

bkummel
March 20th, 2009, 12:13 PM
Is already deselected.

bkummel
March 20th, 2009, 12:15 PM
Okay, I had to lock and then unlock and now I can move them. Weird... Anyway, thanks for letting me try that once again...

WaNaBePi
April 2nd, 2009, 06:30 AM
i have a similar problem, i "fixed" it by deleting the existing panel and making a new one.

until i did this there was no move option available, period.(i read this post before trying)

what happened though, in rebuilding the panel, via the right click on panel+add to panel option. yielded different looking icons...and i had seconds running in the time as well(i know i can change this and how to but...)...change is bad, or rather i liked how the orginal top panel, the default(?) one in ubuntu (8.10 updated to present) is, or in my case was, laid out. the one that is at the top of the screen by "default"(not sure if there is a default) i just want that one back with the original looking icons and their layout with all the menus as they were by default. is there a command for this, to reset the layout to "default"? well all the pannels relay cause the bottom trash was moved as well...i dont know im just blabing now...

help? thanks!