PDA

View Full Version : Web hosting programming question...

hockey97
March 19th, 2009, 11:52 PM
Hi, I just got hired in a small company as a VP of technology.

Currently the CEO dosen't know anything about computers etc.

their last VP of technology left and moved somewhere for a new job.

Now that guy setup the company to use google to host a professional website.

Now I am left to figure out what they have. I have to find out what services they bought.

So I ask here if anyone knows how google web hosting services works.

I am used to working with a gui to upload website docs to a server and used php as server sided lango.

The ceo told me that the last dude used to use google api mostly the python datastore api.

So my question would be is that does google provide a control panel for hosting services?

If so is it possible for my ceo to make a account to grant me privileged to edit and upload stuff to the server?

I want to also know if I can use php? If not would it be python?

that's really about it.

You can give me also any information you might find useful to me.

I am a complete noob to google hosting services. I never knew they host websites until I got hired in this job.

Thanks

s.fox
March 20th, 2009, 12:14 AM
Hi,

You don't mean this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_pages) do you?

CptPicard
March 20th, 2009, 12:15 AM
http://code.google.com/appengine/ ?

Really, your company should at least know what they're using...

hockey97
March 20th, 2009, 12:34 AM
I was tolld they use google apps but but they use the google ap engine.

I was not told where to login or anything. I have to update a website.

so I need access to the webserver to replace the existing files with the new ones.

The CEO told me that he dosen't know.

The guy is 26 and the company was founded by his dad which is 64.

His dad gave this kid the company. The previous VP of technology quit for some reason and took another job in a different state.

So now I get hired in. I was first getting hired to just do some small changes on a website.

He liked my screen shots and he offered a VP for technology job.

I accepted.

Now he dosen't know anything about computers.

So they have no clue except they know that they are using googles hosting services.

So I have to figure out what they need to do.

They already made me a company e-mail account. it uses gmail but has the companies website domain name for the e-mail address.

I need to figure out if they need to give me permissions through the software to access the area where their website docs are stored.

So I am in the dark cause I never knew google hosts websites.

I am guessing google would have ssome user interface on the web where I can easily upload files to their servers.

the google app engine I would assume would give me the classes and functions I need to use code to store data in their databases.

I hear it's called GqL wich is like sql.

I just need to know how to get into the web server for the company website.

So this is the first time hearing this and yet I am not familiar with google on how it all works.

simeon87
March 20th, 2009, 01:10 AM
If you need to modify a website then they should provide you the details needed to access the files, database, etc. Not much we can do about that..

hockey97
March 20th, 2009, 03:29 AM
ok, well the CEO dosen't know.

He wants me to do the modifications by tomorrow.

Do you think I should e-mail google?

The CEO has zero knowledge in computers. He just knows how to use the internet and all.

He dosen't know anything about the technical aspects of the computer and internet etc.

So I guess I will try getting a hold of google.

CptPicard
March 20th, 2009, 04:20 AM
Uh, how about trying to get hold of the guy who was there before you? He should have at least documented something, and if the CEO type didn't demand that, he's an idiot and you're quite probably SOL.

kavon89
March 20th, 2009, 05:29 AM
Google providing a real hosting service (other than Google Code & Google Sites) is news to me.

hockey97
March 20th, 2009, 09:21 PM
ya I looked into google. What I found out google did provide hosting services.

They recently stop allowing new users. I think they may at some point drop it.

The reason was some hacker created a account and uploaded some virus to the google servers.

after that they stopped allowing new users. Then they came up with google sites.

where you don't type any code.

I already done the work for what the ceo asked to be done with the website.

I then asked where do I uploade the docs and he said I don't know.

ALl he knows was the used google.

so I been looking into this.

Currently I found out their domain is registered wtih godaddy.

so I ask the ceo if he knows if their server is with go daddy.

I am guessing they are using the web hosting services of godaddy and using google app engine and custom e-mail services.

In the website code. I can tell they use google apps for tracking info.

Meaning how many views the page gets.

They are using javascript and also server sided script.

Is their a way I can find out where it's hosted like looking it up with whois?

or that info the ceo should of known that stuff?

I talked with him and he still insist that they use google for website hosting services.

I looked at the google websites and gave it look at it.

It can't be google sites cause what I seen you can't really make a professional website.

it's like geocites free account type.

The companys website is pro looking.

This company is small.

do you want me to give you their website?

Can+~
March 20th, 2009, 09:31 PM
You know you don't need to press enter twice after each sentence, right?

hockey97
March 20th, 2009, 10:57 PM
Ya I know.

I just try to do it this way so people can read my posts better.

I always get people barking at me for writing too much.

I even had a guy that is a student from Harvard yell at me for grammar and

spelling. I spell stuff wrong like for instance,cool, I spell it at times like, kool.

I mostly got yelled at for having long post and not having enough spaces.

I now try to double space my sentences. This fulfilled those peoples anger.

So they can read my posts easily.

Can+~
March 20th, 2009, 11:06 PM
I mostly got yelled at for having long post and not having enough spaces. I now try to double space my sentences. This fulfilled those peoples anger.

You went to the other side of the problem. I really had a hard time reading your original post and subsequent responses.

Writing is about transmitting ideas into words. Sentences are for mental pauses that present a single idea, whereas commas denote the structure inside a sentence.

Paragraphs, on the other hand, are used when you change the idea that binds the sentences together.

In the end, writing is not a mechanical process, like "two enters after a sentence", but has to do with the concepts underlying the sentence. In my case, even if English is not my first language, I still can make sense of the concept I just wrote and split it accordingly. Doing it other way is an example of mental laziness.

CptPicard
March 20th, 2009, 11:11 PM
In my case, even if English is not my first language, I still can make sense of the concept I just wrote and split it accordingly. Doing it other way is an example of mental laziness.

+1

Neither is English my first language, but I still am quite a sucker for correct presentation of information in any language...

hockey97
March 21st, 2009, 01:33 AM
ok? well english is my first lango. In college most papers they require a double space between the sentences. The reason is so the professor can read it. I understand what your saying but on the internet you don't have to follow any method or rules. You just write how you would talk. For example,
spelling cool like this.kool. In the internet you type the way you speak.
That is why business professors when they get upset because your paper is poorly structure. They always say don't write it like a e-mail or a posting on a message board. The reason is that message board and e-mails are poorly structured and they don't need to be structured. If you were to make a business plan you need to write clearly on what your thoughts are and follow proper grammar and spelling. I started this posting with ok? now that isn't proper English. The reason is that it's not a question. However, in a board form or a website you can automaticly assume that I was saying ok as in confusion. So I said ok? just to express that I said the word ok in a confusing tone. That's all I have to say and the only explanation on why I post my posts this way. This post I stopped using the spacing. People usually will complain it's hard to read because everything is crunched up together.

lunaz
March 21st, 2009, 01:41 AM
what's the company's website?

..thank god for splee check! :P

simeon87
March 21st, 2009, 01:54 AM
ok? well english is my first lango. In college most papers they require a double space between the sentences. The reason is so the professor can read it. I understand what your saying but on the internet you don't have to follow any method or rules. You just write how you would talk. For example,
That is why business professors when they get upset because your paper is poorly structure. They always say don't write it like a e-mail or a posting on a message board. The reason is that message board and e-mails are poorly structured and they don't need to be structured. If you were to make a business plan you need to write clearly on what your thoughts are and follow proper grammar and spelling. I started this posting with ok? now that isn't proper English. The reason is that it's not a question. However, in a board form or a website you can automaticly assume that I was saying ok as in confusion. So I said ok? just to express that I said the word ok in a confusing tone. That's all I have to say and the only explanation on why I post my posts this way. This post I stopped using the spacing. People usually will complain it's hard to read because everything is crunched up together.

Why do you think you have to write assignments and papers clearly? Because others should be able to read it without stopping every two to three words.

Why do you think these rules no longer apply to posts on a forum or in an e-mail? Even on the internet, you're communicating with others who may or may not help you depending on your opening post. You may be different but when I have trouble deciphering a post ("wen ppl type laik diz"), I'm no longer willing to help this person with whatever problem they have.

The whole point of structuring texts is to make it easier for others to read and understand it. This does not mean every sentence should be on a new line because a text logically consists of paragraphs: sentences that coherently belong together.

People will indeed complain because this way of formatting isn't easily readable (either). The formatting distracts from the content. How hard is it to properly format a post? :(

Can+~
March 21st, 2009, 02:23 AM
ok? well english is my first lango. In college most papers they require a double space between the sentences. The reason is so the professor can read it. I understand what your saying but on the internet you don't have to follow any method or rules. You just write how you would talk.

Yeah, if you're a 14 year old.

The writing quality is proportional to the person you're communicating to, if you speak with a friend you can use any slang you want as long as both speak them, that's known as "colloquial language".

If you're speaking to a superior, or a unknown crowd, you speak/write formally.

It's not about the instrument (forum, e-mail, spoken language), it's about the context (crowd, audience, location, hierarchy).

If you want help, the least I would expect is a clearly written description of your problem, not a 14 year old who just discovered the internet and says like "LULZ, HAI GUYZ, IM POSTINGZ!!1111" (hyperbole).

Normally, as engineers, we think that we can skip social conventions, as pretty much we work with code rather than people, which is pretty wrong. You'll have to interact with coworkers, even if your job is to submit a commit to a svn server, at least comment it right.

And your last post helps me understand why people say you write too much, your first paragraph was showing your idea, the following paragraph was redundant. As a general rule, read what you write in a non-colloquial context.

I hope you don't feel offended about this, it's a constructive criticism. If you have any doubts or questions, feel free to ask.

hockey97
March 21st, 2009, 03:11 AM
I am not offended. I am just saying I am not the only person doing this.
Just give me an example post. Show me what I should be doing in future posts. Is the problem grammer? spelling? or structure? or is how I express my ideas that is not clear.

Just sum up my errors and give me links to example of what I am doing wrong and examples of what I should be doing.

I am not offended but I do thank you for the effort on correcting me.

The people before that yelled at me. They told me I just need to double space because the wording is clustered. They said that reading a post that the words are too close together hurts their eyes.

So after hearing that I try to double space between every sentence.

hockey97
March 21st, 2009, 03:17 AM
the company has 2 sites.

One is a site for clients and the other is for the corp.

here is the link to the client one:

http://www.mobileconsultinginc.com (this is the site that I need to update)

Can+~
March 21st, 2009, 03:45 AM
I am not offended. I am just saying I am not the only person doing this.
Just give me an example post. Show me what I should be doing in future posts. Is the problem grammer? spelling? or structure? or is how I express my ideas that is not clear.

Just sum up my errors and give me links to example of what I am doing wrong and examples of what I should be doing.

I am not offended but I do thank you for the effort on correcting me.

The people before that yelled at me. They told me I just need to double space because the wording is clustered. They said that reading a post that the words are too close together hurts their eyes.

So after hearing that I try to double space between every sentence.

I'm gonna break it down:

Repeating: I'll use your post as an example, notice how each of the colored sentences match the same subject. You could easily do with less
This post is better formatted than the previous ones, apparently, you became conscious of your grammar, spelling is fine. Let's take a look to another post:

k? well english is my first lango. In college most papers they require a double space between the sentences. The reason is so the professor can read it. I understand what your saying but on the internet you don't have to follow any method or rules. You just write how you would talk. For example,

Notice how everything here is crammed into a single paragraph? Even here, where the letter size and spacing is quite helpful, seems too busy. You can split the text better into more paragraphs.

English is my first language. In college most papers required a double space between the sentences, the reason is so the professor can read it.

I understand what your saying but on the internet you don't have to follow any method or rules. You just write how you would talk. For example, spelling cool like this kool.

That is why business professors when they get upset because your paper is poorly structure. They always say don't write it like a e-mail or a posting on a message board. The reason is that message board and e-mails are poorly structured and they don't need to be structured. (notice the redundancy here too, p => q, q => p)

Another example, if you were to make a business plan you need to write clearly on what your thoughts are and follow proper grammar and spelling. (fine, another example, maybe would help adding a little identifier)

Did you noticed I started this posting with "ok?" now that isn't proper English. The reason is that it's not a question. However, in a board form or a website you can automaticly assume that I was saying ok as in confusion. So I said "ok?" just to express that I said the word ok in a confusing tone.

That's all I have to say and the only explanation on why I post my posts this way. This post I stopped using the spacing. People usually will complain it's hard to read because everything is crunched up together.

Observe how a different layout makes a big change in visibility and presentation, rather than a big chunk of text.

As for the previous post, let's fix it with less repeating ideas, but with a similar wording:

I am not offended. I am just saying I am not the only person doing this, but I thank you for the effort on correcting me.

But just give me an example post. Show me what I should be doing in future posts. Is the problem grammer? spelling? or structure? or is how I express my ideas that is not clear?

For instance, the people I've been in the past yelled at me. They told me I just need to double space because the wording is clustered. They said that reading a post that the words are too close together hurts their eyes.

ghostdog74
March 21st, 2009, 04:12 AM
you guys can argue about the smallest of things, when there are many people out there jobless.

lunaz
March 21st, 2009, 07:57 PM
from whoishostingthis.com

# The IP address (64.202.189.170) for mobileconsultinginc.com is owned by Go Daddy.

from dnsstuff.com

Registrant:

Joseph Venuto

Glencoe HIlls Dr.

Apt. 6

Ann Arbor, Michigan 48108

United States

Registered through: GoDaddy.com, Inc. (http://www.godaddy.com)

Domain Name: MOBILECONSULTINGINC.COM

Created on: 03-Dec-08

Expires on: 03-Dec-09

Last Updated on: 03-Dec-08

Administrative Contact:

Venuto, Joseph ***************@gmail.com

Glencoe HIlls Dr.

Apt. 6

United States

2489439802 Fax --

Technical Contact:

Venuto, Joseph ***************@gmail.com

Glencoe HIlls Dr.

Apt. 6

United States

2489439802 Fax --

Domain servers in listed order:

NS61.DOMAINCONTROL.COM

NS62.DOMAINCONTROL.COM

from the arin whois database on ip 64.202.189.170

OrgName: GoDaddy.com, Inc.

OrgID: GODAD

Address: 14455 N Hayden Road

Address: Suite 226

City: Scottsdale

StateProv: AZ

PostalCode: 85260

NetRange: 64.202.160.0 - 64.202.191.255

CIDR: 64.202.160.0/19

NetName: GO-DADDY-SOFTWARE-INC

NetHandle: NET-64-202-160-0-1

Parent: NET-64-0-0-0-0

NetType: Direct Allocation

NameServer: CNS1.SECURESERVER.NET

NameServer: CNS2.SECURESERVER.NET

NameServer: CNS3.SECURESERVER.NET

Comment:

RegDate: 2002-10-22

Updated: 2007-06-14

OrgAbuseHandle: ABUSE51-ARIN

OrgAbuseName: Abuse Department

OrgAbusePhone: +1-480-624-2505

OrgAbuseEmail: abuse@godaddy.com

OrgNOCHandle: NOC124-ARIN

OrgNOCName: Network Operations Center

OrgNOCPhone: +1-480-505-8809

OrgNOCEmail: noc@godaddy.com

OrgTechHandle: NOC124-ARIN

OrgTechName: Network Operations Center

OrgTechPhone: +1-480-505-8809

OrgTechEmail: noc@godaddy.com

hockey97
March 22nd, 2009, 05:05 PM
ya that's true. Many are jobless. I was for 1 whole year.
I even applied to family video and block busters. I notice they weren't hiring, well they were but it was nothing but collecting information.
Later on I discover a bunch of spam in my e-mail account, the one I gave to family video and block buster . I never got a call from them.

I live in michigan by the way and we are in a depression. We have the worst job market then the other states.

This just I got as VP of technology isn't really paying good. I mean it was the 2nd call I got and the ceo was impresssed by my worked he hired me as a web developer. Then after a week he decided to give me the VP of technology cause he knows I know enough to setup systems for the company.

the company is small and has limited funds. So he can't pay me anything big.

hockey97
March 22nd, 2009, 05:11 PM
from whoishostingthis.com

I know he has his domain name with godaddy. I just don't know where he host the website. Today the ceo contacted me and told me that he got a hold of the previous VP Of Technology. He said that the guy attached the website files and told him he needs to make a admin account for me.
The webstie is stored in the google app engine but I need to have a admin account to access where the companies website is located.

here is the e-mail I got from the ceo which forwarded the last VP of technology.

I attached a zip with the current site and a version that I had mostly done and just completed. The site as it is now is in mci-current.zip. The other one is in mci-new.zip. It is much improved. Off the top of my head it has:
An admin interface to manage all pages, wiki, users and consultation requests.
Every page is stored in the db and can be edited from the admin.
Rewritten wiki. Has much better interface to view page history.

It brings the main site and the wiki together so that the wiki can be at mobileconsultinginc.com/wiki. The only issue is that this requires all users to be either mobileconsultinginc.com or Google accounts users. So if you want people to be able to edit the wiki, it has to be Google accounts.