PDA

View Full Version : double click game_over.py

Buffalo Soldier
January 13th, 2005, 12:53 PM
I'm new to programming. Bought a book "Python Programming For Absolute Beginner" by Michael Dawson.

One example he gave in the book is a simple program:

print "Game Over"
raw_input("\n\nPress the enter key to exit.")

and I save it as game_over.py on my desktop.

Problem is, on my windows XP I can double click the file and the program will run (sort of a DOS prompt windows pops up). But on my Ubuntu desktop double clicking it will open the file in Gedit.

What do I have to do to be able to run the file by double clicking? Any help for a linux & python newbie like me?

gheorghe_pop
January 13th, 2005, 01:28 PM
it's very simple:)
you should set your python script as executable.
How to do that:
right click on the file and on the permision tab check 'execute' for all.
That's it!

Buffalo Soldier
January 13th, 2005, 01:32 PM
Thanx gheorghe. Feel like id!@t for not thinking of that first before posting.

Anyway, your suggestion works. But now the problem is the window pop-up and then dissappear very quickly. It did not wait for me to press the ENTER key.

Buffalo Soldier
January 13th, 2005, 04:32 PM
Found the solution to my problem. I found out that I need to add "#!/usr/bin/python" to the script.

#!/usr/bin/python
print "Game Over"
raw_input("\n\nPress the enter key to exit.")

And if I want to keep the window terminal open after pressing ENTER, I just go to the terminal window settings.

Edit -> Current Profile -> Title and Command -> When command exits: Hold the terminal open

DirtDawg
January 13th, 2005, 07:57 PM
Bufallo Soldier,

Hey, I too am fairly new to Python and trying to figure it out one step at a time. How's that book treating you? Is it any good and what kind of price tag came with it?

Buffalo Soldier
January 14th, 2005, 01:42 AM
DirtDawg,

For someone who has experience in Python or any other programming languages may find the book too simple. It's definitely not something an experienced programmer would buy for as a reference book.

But for a beginner/newbie I think the book is perfect. I'll quote something from an introduction paragraph which I find very true about the lessons throught the book.

"The goal of this book is to teach you the Python programming language, learning to program the same way I did: by creating simple games. There's something more exciting about learning to program by writing software that's fun."

The price of the book is (in Ringgit Malaysia) RM96. I guess that's about US Dollar 25.

DirtDawg
January 14th, 2005, 08:48 AM
Sounds awsome. Thanks alot!

gheorghe_pop
October 19th, 2005, 08:12 PM
When you have enought of txt python programming you should try glade+python. You can build really nice apps with that.