PDA

View Full Version : Linux and CLI

prizrak
December 30th, 2005, 07:47 AM
I was juts browsing around bandit's theme site, and I saw that all his screenshots have the panel with time and the status docklet on the top. He also had Nautilus for file management, and I realised how different his setup is from mine. Not just the theming but the WM is different the control orientation is not the same, hell even the file manager is different. That brought me to another realization, any customization/support in Linux is much better done in CLI. The reason for it is that everyone's GUI is gonna look different but everyone is gonna have the terminal. This is more of a message to all the people who say CLI is not needed and that everything should be GUI and that support forums should tell you how to do things in GUI rather than type commands. It is the easiest thing in the world to copy and paste some commands in terminal, it will also work, in most cases, regardless of what GUI you have.

LinuxSwede
December 30th, 2005, 07:51 AM
I was juts browsing around bandit's theme site, and I saw that all his screenshots have the panel with time and the status docklet on the top. He also had Nautilus for file management, and I realised how different his setup is from mine. Not just the theming but the WM is different the control orientation is not the same, hell even the file manager is different. That brought me to another realization, any customization/support in Linux is much better done in CLI. The reason for it is that everyone's GUI is gonna look different but everyone is gonna have the terminal. This is more of a message to all the people who say CLI is not needed and that everything should be GUI and that support forums should tell you how to do things in GUI rather than type commands. It is the easiest thing in the world to copy and paste some commands in terminal, it will also work, in most cases, regardless of what GUI you have.

Nail, meet head.

Some think that "it's just what they use because they are so snobby" but seriously, CLI is the key to what makes Linux so damn great, same goes for any *nix for that matter (well except linsucker and pc-hiv)

poofyhairguy
December 30th, 2005, 10:35 PM
I agree:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=43911&highlight=command

Last thread on topic.