PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Begyourpardon
March 19th, 2009, 07:41 PM
I am really uncomfortable with computers. I have downloaded Ubuntu 8.10 to cd and trying to figure out how to install it. I have read one of the entries/questions regarding installing Ubuntu with wiping out windows (i.e. not the dual boot function) but I really could not understand what the link was telling me to do in the first instance which was about 'invoking the bios set-up'. I have no clue what this means.

Please could someone explain really basically how to install this, from when to put the cd... Do i need to go into the disc to run it.

As you can probably gather I am quite confused and am worried that I will wipe out windows

Please do not use jargon (for example I don't know what synoptic means). I have a Toshiba Satellite M115 and have just found out that the architecture for this is Intel64.

I Look forward to hearing from someone.

whoop
March 19th, 2009, 07:51 PM
Well just pop in the ubuntu cd and reboot. If it doesn't load the ubuntu startup screen this means that your computer is not setup to boot (startup) from the cd first. In order to achieve that you have to enter the BIOS. You can enter the BIOS by pressing some predefined key (on your keyboard) before you operating system starts (so you need to be on time here). Usually it is displayed somewhere on the screen when you turn on your machine. Often it is something like "del" or "f1" or "f2" etc. Once in the BIOS you should look for boot options, especially boot order. Make sure that cd or dvd rom is presented before you harddisk on that boot order list. Than exit the bios saving the changes and you should boot from your cd-rom.

Begyourpardon
March 20th, 2009, 11:15 AM
Hi Thanks so much for the response.

I tried what you told me and while on start-uo with Ubuntu CD in I pressed F(can't remeber now) to boot from CD. The computer completely ingnored me and booted from the Windows OS. (last time i tried this -about a year ago the computer 'complied' ???)

I then tried to find the illusive 'BIOS' that everyone keeps writting about, I ran a search, but I don't know how to get in. Then I went to the Toshiba website (http://www.linux-on-laptops.com/toshiba.html) to see if my computer is compatable: there is a list of computers that are and mine (Satellite M115) is not there.

Should I give up now? I really need a free operating system and an office like programme so I would like to persevere. This just seems really complicated.

Ok I guess my question is how do i get into BIOS (I don't understand the definitions given by the Ubuntu site.

Also if a I am finding it this difficult to install do you think I will be able to work with this OS once installed (I feel completely cluesless)?

Sorry for the ranting, but I feel a little desperate.

Thanks again.

sdbrogan
March 20th, 2009, 11:51 AM
Try this to enter the BIOS set-up :
1. Turn on computer by holding down power button while pressing the ESC key.
The machine will beep, then display:
Check System, then press [F1] key.
2. Release ESC key
3. Press F1 key

I had some troubles installing too, but it can be difficult with any operating system that you don't buy pre-installed. Once Ubuntu was set up I found it very easy to use.

jespdj
March 20th, 2009, 01:38 PM
Maybe you should find someone in your neighbourhood who knows more about computers to help you with this.

Installing an operating system (any operating system, whether it's Ubuntu, Microsoft Windows or whatever else) is not a small job that anybody can do so easily, especially if you're not comfortable with computers.

The installation of Ubuntu is quite straightforward and is in fact easier than installing Windows in most cases, but you do need to know what you are doing.

In any case, make a backup of any important data that you have on your computer before trying to install Ubuntu! If you make a mistake and wipe out Windows, your data will be gone forever.