PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Error on Install

TheSurvivor
March 19th, 2009, 10:09 AM
I downloaded an ISO image of both 8.04, and 8.10 of Ubuntu. I burnt them both to separate disks. My brother took the 8.10 disk and quickly installed it on his laptop. I had used 8.04 recently, and noticed the changes in 8.10 and was excited to get on it as quickly as possible! I installed it, ran it, loved it... Until I got a new video card! I had an old ATI RADEON 9000 Series 64 meg AGP model, and I didn't like it. I went out and bought a nVidia GeForce 5200 FX (512 or 256 meg) PCI model video card. I got it all put together, plugged my computer in, started up, and it failed to boot. My mood now shifted harshly, i placed in the install disk for 8.10. I tried to run a live CD. It got about 10% through loading, and locked up. Same with the install. I disabled GUI and tried it, and just got error after error before locking up once more. I put in Windows XP, and ran that for a while. After having a virus attack, I quickly put 8.04 on my system, but it is not the same at all! I want 8.10 on my computer, but it has to be my video card! It didn't do this until I put it in. Surely, with any hope, I am not the first case of this. Does anyone know what I should do to get 8.10? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all!

(Computer is a Dell Optiplex GX260 with minor upgrades, including the mentioned graphics card, 640 megabytes of RAM, 40 gig+15 gigabyte Hard drives, DVD/CD-Rom Drive,and an after market fan. Other than that, nothing is changed.)

linux_tech
March 19th, 2009, 10:42 AM
The nvidia 5200 should be compatible, so that should not likely be the issue. But if you are having trouble installing 8,1, then try the alternate cd.

TheSurvivor
March 20th, 2009, 03:00 AM
Well, I tried the alternate CD, and installed it correctly. I followed everything, and then the disk ejected, I removed it, rebooted, and it went through the startup. When it got the "ubuntu" with the orange bar bouncing back and forth, it bounces about 3 times, then begins loading. There are about 20 bars, and it loads 2 and 3/4 bars... And locks up. It gets no-where. The disk has no defects, a fresh burn.

Oh and I just saw this. The number lock is off, but the Caps and Scroll lock lights are blinking simultaneously. It's not rapid-paced, but they are blinking.

Does anyone know what I should do?

EDIT:

At GRUB loading, I pressed ESC and started Ubuntu in recovery Mode. It went through really fast, and I saw it loading things for PCI, and things, but then abruptly, it STOPPED. The last thing I saw was something
about my AC97 audio.

After the AC97 error, it quickly went to this:
http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o280/teddyhorse/image0012.jpg
After that, the flashing of the keys began. Any help now?

TheSurvivor
March 20th, 2009, 04:31 AM
Just out of theory, seeing how other users were experenceing errors caused by their PCI cards, I took my PCI card out and went with my onboard video. It is only 8 megs. I pressed the power button and crossed my fingers. It got to the point it always locked up at, paused for a moment, and the continued. Now I log into ubuntu, and after the login screen, I get nothing. Along side that, does this mean I'm out a $60-80 graphics card? I know it's not broken, I just used it on windows and Ubuntu 8.04. Can someone please tell me where to go now?

TheSurvivor
March 20th, 2009, 06:38 PM
Well, I fixed my own errors.

For anyone who may get my problem as well:

If you can login and get into a blank screen, restart your computer, and at GRUB, press esc and go to recovery mode. Go for the mode with a root terminal, type these two sentences in:
sudo apt-get remove compiz
sudo apt-get remove compiz-core

Then restart and login like normal.

I for one did this, started up, ran an update, and the reinstalled compiz and now it works fine. I can only wonder if my PCI will work now... I'll edit this to tell if it works or not!

diskord
June 14th, 2009, 04:38 AM
Any luck with this? Did your PCI card start working after you re-installed Compiz?

diskord
June 14th, 2009, 04:51 AM
So I tried this, booted up without the FX5200 plugged in, went in to recovery console and got root prompt. Did the apt-get remove compiz, and neither package was even installed.

Didn't fix my issue at least of kernel panic on boot whenever the FX5200 is plugged in.

This is just ridiculous, I know other people have used the 5200, it has to be something with it in combination of an onboard video card... but what I need to do to fix it is beyond me. Been working on this for over 12 hours, and have made zero progress (or very little).

The one thing I can say is, I believe it is a kernel specific issue, not a distro issue. I tried install Fedora and ran in to the exact same problem, during boot I got a kernel panic and can't go any further.

The really frustrating part, Windows works perfectly... I just don't want to run Windows!